Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wilson

Luke 10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
    Luke 10:18 And 1161 he said 2036 unto them 846, I beheld 2334 Satan 4567 as 5613 lightning 796 fall 4098 from 1537 heaven 3772.

Meaning of 2444

1) to be a spectator, look at, behold

a) to view attentively, take a view of, survey

1) to view mentally, consider

4098 metaph. to fall under judgment, came under condemnation

satan = Example of evil
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Luke 10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

Isa 14:12-15 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

Dan 8:10 And it waxed great, even to the host of heaven; and it cast down some of the host and of the stars to the ground, and stamped upon them.

2 Pet 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

1 John 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning...

Jude 1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

Rev 12:4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

That is what Jesus 'beheld'
    Peter Wilson Posts: 86, Reputation: 19

Jul 24, 2008, 06:09 AM
    Sndbay, I'm not sure what you are saying, is English your second language, I think you mean rebuking. I know you mean well, I just don't understand. No offense meant. :)
    Peter Wilson Posts: 86, Reputation: 19

Jul 24, 2008, 06:19 AM
    Sndbay, what does all the numbers mean, they don't relate to Strongs Concordance of the Bible, where are they from and what is the point you are trying to make? Cheers :)
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 06:23 AM
    Yeah I think it is Strong's too
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wilson
    Sndbay, what does all the numbers mean, they don't relate to Strongs Concordance of the Bible, where are they from and what is the point you are trying to make? Cheers :)
    yes I corrected the spelling error... on rebuke "please forgive me"

As for the numbers they refer the original Hebrew or Greek word of the scripture. Held in safe keeping by what is called The Massorah.

The Massorah. - Appendix to the Companion Bible

Very definitely apart of Strongs Concordance , and my point was just to show that we are told of the evil that satan puts before us. Our decision is to be friend satan in darkness or follow Christ in the Light = Law. That verse really puts the fact out there of how we are shown he is evil.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 11:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rhadsen
    I've seen where it's claimed that this or that good work will get so many years taken off of your stay in purgatory. Just what exactly does the RCC teach regarding the length of one's stay there? Is it a millisecond? A million years? Does anyone know, and if so, can they rightly claim that this or that work takes off "X" amount of purgatorial time?

Rob
    1 Corinthians 3 2 I gave you milk to drink, not meat; for you were not able as yet. But neither indeed are you now able; for you are yet carnal.

In teaching the truths of the faith, the Church has frequently used simplistic terms which would help the uninitiate understand the custom more easily.

That is why heaven and hell have frequently been depicted as material places but they are spiritual truths. Going to heaven is being joined with God. God is Spirit. Not a place.

Yet it is much easier to envision heaven as a place than as a State of being.

The same with hell. Hell is not a place, it is the state of being in opposition to God for all eternity.

But since we are temporal beings, we envision hell more easily as a place of torment and fire.

What does that have to do with Purgatory?

Well, its easier for us to think of Purgatory as a place where punishment occurs for our sin for a certain amount of time. Yet, Purgatory is outside of time and space. How can time elapse there? It can't.

So, speaking of Purgatory in terms of time and space was simply for us to more easily grasp the concept of "temporal" punishment for sin as opposed to "eternal" punishment for sin (i.e. hell).

In recent years, the Church has changed this manner of speaking:
    How to Get an Indulgence (This Rock: September 2006)

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    Well, its easier for us to think of Purgatory as a place where punishment occurs for our sin for a certain amount of time. Yet, Purgatory is outside of time and space. How can time elapse there? It can't.
    The problem is that scripture does not mention purgatory at all, and the doctrine denies the gospel, because if we can pay for even a small part of our sin, we could pay for it all, and Christ died on the cross in vain.

The doctrine of purgatory contradicts 1 John 1:9.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Basically all that does is cover 'Judgement day'
    Where works will be burned up or refined but the believer will be saved
    NO purgatory involved
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3
    The problem is that scripture does not mention purgatory at all,
    Scripture does not mention purgatory explicitly. But Scripture describes purgatory frequently.

1 Peter 3 19 In which also coming he preached to those spirits that were in prison:

Apocalypse 20 5 The rest of the dead lived not, till the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

1 Corinthians 3 15 If any man's work burn, he shall suffer loss; but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire.

and the doctrine denies the gospel, because if we can pay for even a small part of our sin, we could pay for it all, and Christ died on the cross in vain.
    What is St. Paul doing when he says?
    Colossians 1 24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up those things that are wanting of the sufferings of Christ, in my flesh, for his body, which is the church:

Why must we suffer in order to be glorified with Christ?
    Romans 8 17 And if sons, heirs also; heirs indeed of God, and joint heirs with Christ: yet so, if we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified with him.

2 2 Timothy 2 12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him. If we deny him, he will also deny us.

How does suffering in the flesh do away with sin?
    1 Peter 4 1 Christ therefore having suffered in the flesh, be you also armed with the same thought: for he that hath suffered in the flesh, hath ceased from sins:

The doctrine of purgatory contradicts 1 John 1:9.
    1 John 1 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all iniquity. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

On the contrary, it supports Purgatory. Cleansing us from iniquity is precisely what Purgatory does for us.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Basically all that does is cover 'Judgement day'
    where works will be burned up or refined but the believer will be saved
    NO purgatory involved
    That is precisely what we call Purgatory.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 12:50 PM
    ''judgment day'' does not require or involve
    Temporal punishment
    Does not categorize sins as venial and mortal
    Does not imply something you have to atone or make up for
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    ''judgment day'' does not require or involve
    temporal punishment
    does not categorize sins as venial and mortal
    does not imply something you have to atone or make up for
    Why do you say that? Is there some resource upon which you are basing your information?
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Scripture does not mention purgatory explicitly. But Scripture describes purgatory frequently.

[I]1 Peter 3 19 In which also coming he preached to those spirits that were in prison:
    That was not purgatory, but rather Abraham's bosom (See Luke 16). Nothing here suggest a fiery punishment.

Apocalypse 20 5 The rest of the dead lived not, till the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
    Nothing about purgatory here. This is the resurrection of the dead.

1 Corinthians 3 15 If any man's work burn, he shall suffer loss; but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire.
    Note that this speaks of works not speaking of people in fire.

What is St. Paul doing when he says?
    Note all of these refer to what he is suffering while alive in the flesh. Reading scripture in context does wonders at resolving this supposed claims.

I note that you ignored 1 John 1:9.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 08:00 PM
    That was not purgatory, but rather Abraham's bosom (See Luke 16). Nothing here suggest a fiery punishment.
    True. Nothing here about Abraham's bosom either. And Luke 16 also describes Purgatory.

Nothing about purgatory here. This is the resurrection of the dead.
    Not yet. The rest of the dead lived not, till the thousand years were finished Where were they for 1000 years?

Note that this speaks of works not speaking of people in fire.
    Sins are works of straw.

Note all of these refer to what he is suffering while alive in the flesh. Reading scripture in context does wonders at resolving this supposed claims.
    But didn't you say that our suffering did not expiate sin, otherwise Christ died for naught. Do I have to quote you?

And in this verse, St. Paul says he suffers for us filling in his flesh was was WANTING in Christ's.

So, please answer the question posed to you. How can St. Paul suffer for our sin?

How can we suffer for our sins as explained by St. Peter, he who suffers in the flesh CEASES with sin.

Is it perhaps that Jesus died on the Ctross to give us a model that we should follow in His footsteps. He suffered for our sins so that we could suffer for our sins as well?

1 Peter 2 21 For unto this are you called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving you an example that you should follow his steps.

Once you understand the teaching of vicarious suffering, you will understand the concept of expiation of sin, on this earth and in the next.

Matthew 12 32 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in the world to come.

I note that you ignored 1 John 1:9.
    No I didn't.

I quoted it, bolded the words "cleanse us of sin" and explained that the verse substantiates the concept of Purgatory. It is in purgatory that those who die in an imperfect state of grace are "cleansed of sin".

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Why do you say that? Is there some resource upon which you are basing your information?
    Because then Jesus died for no reason. The Bible says that God casts our sins away as far as the East is to the West. Do you really believe that we walk around for years carrying our sins until Purgatory? Jesus said cast our burdens on him not walk around with them.
    We do not pay for our sins
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 08:11 PM
    True. Nothing here about Abraham's bosom either. And Luke 16 also describes Purgatory.
    Where is the fire? Where are people paying for their own sins? No, not at all. Not even close.

Not yet. The rest of the dead lived not, till the thousand years were finished Where were they for 1000 years?
    Sigh! Did you notice that there were two resurrections? Did you notice that those who were saved were in the first resurrection. Those who were unsaved were in the second.

Rev 20:4-6
    4 And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. 5 But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.
    NKJV

So if I were to accept your argument, purgatory is only for the unsaved before they go to hell.

Sins are works of straw.
    1 John 1:9 says that Jesus paid the price for ALL sins of those who are saved. The context is that straw are works not honoring to Christ - there is yet nothing about people going through fire to pay for their own sins.

But didn't you say that our suffering did not expiate sin, otherwise Christ died for naught. Do I have to quote you?
    So where does scripture say that we suffer to pay the rpcie for our own sin?

So, please answer the question posed to you. How can St. Paul suffer for our sin?
    I missed where it says that Paul suffered to pay the rpice for our sin. Please point that out to me.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Where is the fire?
    24 And he cried, and said: Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, to cool my tongue: for I am tormented in this flame.

Where are people paying for their own sins?
    What is happening to Dives? Why is he there being tormented in flames? Why does he want Abraham to send someone to his brothers?

No, not at all. Not even close.
    Are you sure? Now that I've pointed out the fire, please reread it.

Sigh! Did you notice that there were two resurrections? Did you notice that those who were saved were in the first resurrection. Those who were unsaved were in the second.
    Yes, I did. Did you notice that there were some people already given judgement before the first resurrection? They were already sitting on thrones.

4 And I saw seats; and they sat upon them; and judgment was given unto them; and the souls of them that were beheaded for the testimony of Jesus, and for the word of God, and who had not adored the beast nor his image, nor received his character on their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 The rest of the dead lived not, till the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

Rev 20:4-6
    4 And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. 5 But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.
    NKJV

So if I were to accept your argument, purgatory is only for the unsaved before they go to hell.
    No. You are misreading the Scripture. Not all in the first resurrection avoided the suffering of Purgatory. Only those listed. However, those who did not live for a thousand years were also part of the first resurrection.

In addition, you seem to have consigned all in the second part of this Scripture, all in the Second death, died and went to the pit of fire. But not all in the second group were part of the Second death. Many were part of the Second Resurrection.

11 And I saw a great white throne, and one sitting upon it, from whose face the earth and heaven fled away, and there was no place found for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing in the presence of the throne,

These were part of the Second Resurrection.

But the following:

and the books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged by those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13 And the sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and hell gave up their dead that were in them; and they were judged every one according to their works. 14 And hell and death were cast into the pool of fire. This is the second death. 15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life, was cast into the pool of fire.

Were part of the Second death.

1 John 1:9 says that Jesus paid the price for ALL sins of those who are saved.
    You are reading a great deal into that Scripture:

1 John 1 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all iniquity. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

the context is that straw are works not honoring to Christ - there is yet nothing about people going through fire to pay for their own sins.
    Sins are not honoring to Christ. Therefore they are burned away. Divide the Word rightly. Remember that overly emphasizing the literal interpretation kills the Spirit of the Word:

2 Corinthians 3 6 Who also hath made us fit ministers of the new testament, not in the letter, but in the spirit. For the letter killeth, but the spirit quickeneth.

So where does scripture say that we suffer to pay the rpcie for our own sin?
    1 Peter 4 1 Christ therefore having suffered in the flesh, be you also armed with the same thought: for he that hath suffered in the flesh, hath ceased from sins:

I missed where it says that Paul suffered to pay the rpice for our sin. Please point that out to me.
    Colossians 1 24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up those things that are wanting of the sufferings of Christ, in my flesh, for his body, which is the church:

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 09:39 PM
    24 And he cried, and said: Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, to cool my tongue: for I am tormented in this flame.
    Read carefully - the person who said this was not in Abraham's bosom.

Luke 16:22-23
    22 So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
    NKJV

Yes, I did. Did you notice that there were some people already given judgement before the first resurrection? They were already sitting on thrones.
    Nothing about purgatory. I read all of your comments and still nothing which speaks of purgatory and nothing which says that 1 John 1:9 is in error. I undersdtand the part about the judgment and so on and so forth, and there is nothing which says that anyone pays for their own sins in purgatory, nor did any quote that you gave say so.

You are reading a great deal into that Scripture:
    Quite a statement after reading how you read purgatory into everything!

Did you notice this line:

he is faithful and just, to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all iniquity

No some, not leaving some for us to cleanse ourselves from, but ALL.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 10:32 PM
    Read carefully - the person who said this was not in Abraham's bosom.
    I wasn't yet referring to the person in Abraham's bosom. But since you've brought it up again, where is Abraham's bosom?

And where is Dives? Consider the following, he is in a place of suffering where he can look at his fellow souls and cry out with affection saying, "Father Abraham!" and Father Abraham does not repudiate him but responds calling him "Son....".

Where is this man? Is that a description of the hell of the damned? Does any love exist in the abode of the damned?

Luke 16:22-23
    22 So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
    NKJV

Nothing about purgatory.
    What is "Hades"?

I read all of your comments and still nothing which speaks of purgatory and nothing which says that 1 John 1:9 is in error.
    I never said 1 John 1:9 is in error.

But that is a typical Protestant confusion. You are confusing YOUR INTERPRETATION OF 1 JOHN 1:9 with the Scripture.

It is your interpretation of that verse which I contend is in error. Not the Scripture.

I undersdtand the part about the judgment and so on and so forth, and there is nothing which says that anyone pays for their own sins in purgatory, nor did any quote that you gave say so.
    But you've ignored all my question concerning the verses where St. Peter and St. Paul both explain that we pay not only for our own sins but for each others.

Quite a statement after reading how you read purgatory into everything!
    And you still haven't addressed any of the questions I asked.

Did you notice this line:

he is faithful and just, to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all iniquity

No some, not leaving some for us to cleanse ourselves from, but ALL.
    Did anyone say that we cleanse ourselves from our sin in Purgatory? Who?

And it is Scripture which says that one who suffered in the flesh has ceased with sin and that St. Paul rejoices in his suffering for us. So please address those questions which I asked. How can we cease with sin by suffering in the flesh? And how can St. Paul rejoice in his suffering for us? Not only that but filling in his flesh that which is WANTING in the suffering of Christ?

You keep accusing me of ignoring your questions. But I've answered every one of them. Now its your turn. Answer my questions.

Sincerely,

De Maria

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How long does it take long term vicodin consumption to exit your system? [ 7 Answers ]

If you have been on vicodin for a long time how long does it take to get out of your system.

How long is too long to have depression? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm Ariel and am 16 years old. I have had depression for about 7 years starting around the time my parents were getting a divorce. My mother took me and my 3 other sisters to a Phsyciatrist for about a year then took us out for awhile then took me back in all within 2 years. I have been very strong...

How long I'm I going to last with my lover will it be long? [ 4 Answers ]

How Long Will I Last With My Lover?

Long-short-long [ 2 Answers ]

Hey you Okay I have a dilemma.For along time I had Long hair(almost to my butt)but then I started working out and it would get sweaty so I cut it shorter(wayyy shorter like I cut off over 20 inches)but now I kind of miss my long locks! All I can do is wait.But every time I had long hair somehow I...

Do You Believe in Purgatory? [ 13 Answers ]

I was wondering whether their really was a Pergatory. It has been a long time since I was a Catholic. I call myself a non-denominational Christian. While I definitely do not believe in" venial" sin, I am believing in Pergatory again. I recently had an experience in my Spirit, and...

View more questions Search