Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rms2111 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 09:27 PM
    Disability Benefits Denied
    I am currently collecting disability benefits from Social Security. I am also collecting disability benefits from Mutual of Omaha through a group policy provided by my previous employer. I bought an individual policy on myself through my employer from a company called UNUM/Provident. I have been fighting with UNUM/Provident for about a year and a half but they will not approve my disability benefits. They have not officially denied me yet but they keep stalling and it is just a matter of time before I am denied. I have an inner ear condition called Meniere's Disease which makes me very dizzy at times. I have been seeing Dr. John Shea, Jr in Memphis, TN with this problem for the past 10 years. He is one, if not the best ear Doctor in the world. About 2 years ago he advised me to seek disability. Social Security and Mutual of Omaha approved my disability and began paying me within 6 months after I applied. UNUM tells me that their Doctor does not see documentation supporting disability claim even though Dr. Shea sent them a letter stating that I should be considered disabled. Documentation from all my treatments and surgeries were also sent to UNUM.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do next? Should I seek legal representation at this point? Thanks for any advice anyone can give.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 09:39 PM
    I always tell people to try once on their own and then get a lawyer.
    Also DO NOT let your claim lapse. If you do they will only go back to the date you refiled.
    At least that is the way it is with disability, but get a lawyer.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 09:39 PM
    I'm sorry to hear your story. The same thing happened to me, where the state is giving me full disability and my company says that I am not disabled even though they received the same reports.

Let us know how it turns out. I cannot read the letter of denial of benefits from my company. Perhaps you are stronger and can fight this "insurance racket."
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 09:58 PM
    YES YES YES

Get a lawyer and soon!

If this lapses(like the ins. Company want's it to) you'll be back to square one with no recourse's.

Most legal firms will take the case for no money up front and take a percentage when it is settled.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2008, 05:38 AM
    You should have seen the lawyer before you even applied to the first place for disability,
    I am surprised you got the government as a norm they turn a large percentage of people down the first time also, till you get an attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

VA disability benefits [ 2 Answers ]

Can my VA disability benefits be garnished to pay unsecured credit card debt ?

Social Security Disability Benefits [ 2 Answers ]

Is it true that if I earn a certain amount above proverty level my disabled daughter can lose her social security benefits? She is about to start school and am a single parent about to get a promotion which means more money and would like to know how this may affect my disabled daughter's social...

Disability Benefits and Education [ 3 Answers ]

I am a mentally-disabled forty-three year old man. I suffer from severe depression. My physician has recommended that I enroll in a few college courses to get me more involved mentally and socially. Would my attempt at college in any way affect my disability benefits? ( I very much doubt that I...

N.J. Disability benefits taxability [ 1 Answers ]

My wife recently filed for NJ disability benefits while recovering from hip surgery. Her employer deducts for NJ SDI. The payments she received did not deduct any NJ state of Federal withholding taxes. Are the disability benefits received from N.J. exempt from federal and state withholding taxes?

Garnishment of VA Disability Benefits [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Colorado. Can you explain how the garnishment system works? Doesn't the company issuing the garnishment have to notify the person before the money is just taken. Can 100% VA Disability Benefits be garnished? My boyfriend had money from his bank account garnished without any notice. ...

View more questions Search