Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daveleo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Renters rights on foreclosures
    I moved in feb 1st 2008 no rent agreement owner said we be good for about four years the place was trashed we fix it up a little in may14th the owner comes and said the hose is going back on the market she said we had move out as soon the end of May she stop pay the trash bill on June12th she had the water turned off on fathers day week end she came and changed the locks on the house since she did this with out given me no righten notice for any of the thing did I have not paid my rent for June or July she has not given me a righten notice to move or a eviction notice she said we have to get out by the end of July
    But I can't afford to move out rightknow what to do
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2008, 05:49 AM
    On a month to month rental they have to give you 30 day notice to move, they may not turn off the water, ( unless you were to put it into your name as per agreement) and they can not lock you out.

If the home forecloses the new owner can give you notice to move out much faster.

If you refuse to move when told, they may take you to housing court.

You may sue a landlord for turning the water off and for locking you out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 18, 2008, 05:55 AM
    Where does a foreclosure come into play here? You make no mention of it.

That you have no written rental agreement means you are a periodic or month to month tenant. That means the landlord can terminate your tenancy with one month's written notice (or less in some states).

However, the landlord is NOT allowed to shut off utilities or change locks on you. That constitutes an illegal eviction and you can sue the landlord over it.

Whether you can afford to move or not is not an issue. The landlord has the right to terminate the tenancy, but must follow the law in doing so. You may be able to get your moving costs by suing him.
    Vlad13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 09:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by daveleo
    i moved in feb 1st 2008 no rent agreement owner said we be good for about four years the place was trashed we fix it up a little in may14th the owner comes and said the hose is going back on the market she said we had move out as soon the end of May she stop pay the trash bill on June12th she had the water turned off on fathers day week end she came and changed the locks on the house since she did this with out given me no righten notice for any of the thing did i have not payed my rent for june or july she has not given me a righten notice to move or a eviction notice she said we have to get out by the end of july
    but i can't afford to move out rightknow what to do
    Make a report! That's the best advice I can give because it will embarrass her as well as make her act in accordance with the law. You have rights as a tenant, so get on the phone, start calling around and asking who you need to speak to to get you to the right department... whether it be with the local police or some different governmental branch. The best thing about a report, is that its "On Record" if you need to prove anything in the future.

Other than that... try to get her to admit certain things over the phone. We have cell phones that are capable of recording the other person talking. They're LG phones... I think many cells out now have that capability. If not, pressure her into writing out receipts, and document everything that has happened from the start (backtrack) then keep a daily journal of events. This will be helpful should you ever have to go to court for it. Any agreements from this day forward get in writing, with her signature.

You can't just up and leave with a family, but if you can, try. The sooner you are free of her drama, the happier you'll be. Also, you can not be evicted without notice, and you have 45 days from written notice to vacate the premises. If you gave a deposit, make sure that you are getting it back... for example, if you know you can move next month... maybe you're just late on rent and she can "take it out of your deposit". You guys don't have a lease, so it's the only way to make sure you'll have your money back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renters rights on foreclosures [ 1 Answers ]

I moved in this house in February 1st, On April the owner came to the hose and told me that she had put the house back on the market, I was really upset because we had just moved in here.She promised me that we would live here for a longtime with my family.When I moved in here we never had a...

Researching pre-foreclosures & tax lien foreclosures sales [ 3 Answers ]

How do I research a pre-foreclosure, notice of defaults or tax lien foreclosures at the county courthouse? And how do I know if there is going to be a tax lien foreclosure sale on a certain property? I went to the courthouse to do research, and they sent me to the register of deeds to do my...

Renters rights [ 1 Answers ]

I have lived in the same place for 3years and now the owner is selling the property. What happens if the property is bought and I move, does the new owners pay me my deposit back that I paid to the old owner, or how does that work?

Renters Rights [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter just signed a rental lease and paid the first months rent plus a sizable security deposit. Two days later she found a bigger and nicer house for the same price. She called the first landlord and explained the situation. The first months rent was returned but none of the deposit. They...

Renters rights [ 10 Answers ]

I live in a large complex and my lease is up for renewal. The new lease is stating the complex will no longer be paying the water, sewer and heat as part of the rental amount. We do not have individual meters, so they will take the total amount due by the entire complex and divide that...

View more questions Search