Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reyzorback Posts: 58, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 05:56 PM
    I can't delete or uninstall a program or folder.
    Hey, I'm new here.. and I'm a filipino.. im sorry for my english is bad..
    I have this problem that I can't delete or uninstall a program ( miliki dial up acceleration and speed optimizer).. when I tried to manually remove it in the drive c/program files.. it says " cannto delete eCATBHO.dll : access is denied..make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the disk is not currently in use".
    israelissick Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Jul 17, 2008, 05:57 PM
    Download unlocker.exe and it should help you out
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 07:46 PM
    It looks like you have the prgram running in the backround

First thing, right click on your taskbar and click task manager and then the processes tab

Look through the list and see if you see the program you are trying to delete running there, if so, highlight it and click end process

2nd, click on start and then run and type msconfig
    Now click on the startup tab and look for the program in the list of files there and if you see the one you are trying to delete, take the checkmark out of the box

If one is there, you will be asked to restart, say OK

Once back in windows, see if you can remove the folder you are trying to delete

If this does not help, as mentioned above, download unlocker and install

Download is half way down page
    UNLOCKER 1.8.7 BY CEDRICK 'NITCH' COLLOMB

Once installed, right click on the file or folder you are trying to delete and choose Unlock
    And then click Unlock All

Now try to delete what you are trying to delete

Jul 17, 2008, 08:10 PM
    I already done that.. it says the object was deleted but the folder was still there and a error pop up- unlocker.exe. - corrupt file

The file or directory C:/document... is courrupt and unreadable.. please use the chkdsk utility.. and when I run that chkdsk it says that there is an error.. and many corrupt files.. im really sorry for my english..
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 08:46 PM
    So, right now it is just the folder that is there?

Have you restarted your computer and then tried unlocker?

If not, restart and try again

If this does not work, reinstall the program that you were trying to uninstall and then go through the uninstall process, reinstalling may fix the corrupt part so that it can be uninstalled, hopefully succcessfully

Also, download, install and run ccleaner, a freeware registry cleaner/optimizer

Ccleaner (Freeware)
    Download CCleaner 2.09.600 - FileHippo.com
    On the right hand side, click download latest version

The above ccleaner will not help your problem but it will address issues within your registry

Jul 18, 2008, 01:03 AM
    Hey thanks.. chkdsk work for me.. I already deleted those folders and programs ("speed optimizer 3" and miliki dial up acceleration).. and I don't need speed optimizer anymore.. coz I found now the best optimizer called "ccleaner".. thanks for that.. regarding the ccleaner, on the cleaner, when I click on the [run cleaner] button, it asked me "This process will permanently delete files from your system.Are you sure you wish to proceed?"
    .. is it safe to delete those files? I just want to make sure.. thanks

I already fixed those corrupted files.. but my problem now are:

>I can't retrive those bookmarks which are corrupted on my mozilla Firefox
    >windows security alerts saying that my antivurs might not be installed.. though my nod32, avg 7.5, and malwarebytes anti malware were all running good
    >my PC still runs slow..

Thanks to you seahwk83.. youre my god now.. I worship you.. I really wanted to be like you (computer wizard).. so that I can help other people on their problems regarding PC.
    Sorry for my english

Jul 18, 2008, 01:18 AM
    Please help about this problems.. thanks
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 10:10 AM
    It is not receommended to run 2 antivirus apps at the same time, this will cause a slowdown with the PC as they are scanning constantly and may be interferring with each other - as long as you have 1 antivirus and that it is updated when updates are avail you should be fine

In general this is a terrible idea. Running multiple security applications at the same time, particularly anything that runs in real time like antivirus or firewall programs, can wreak havoc on Windows, crash your computer, give you many headaches, and, in the very best case, merely slow your computer to a crawl.

The problem is worst with antivirus programs, which is designed to keep constant tabs on files being changed or created without your knowledge. But since antivirus programs are constantly doing this kind of thing behind the scenes, there's a good chance one program will try to block the behavior of the other program, and vice versa. The result could be a catastrophic failure of both applications (leaving you without any protection), or just general instability in Windows. This is so common that if you try to install one antivirus app on top of another, many installers will warn you not to do so.

Even if you did find a combination of two antivirus apps that work together, would you really be more secure? Probably not. All reputable apps and even most smaller ones do a great job at catching recently released viruses, which are by far the biggest threat to your PC. An old DOS virus that one app doesn't catch, released 15 years ago and nowhere to be found? Probably nothing to worry about any more. Install the one application you're comfortable with and, most importantly, keep it up to date.
    I would keep the one your most comfortable with and uninstall the other and just make sure if you decide to keep just 1 of them that it can get updates without a prblem.

In respect to ccleaner, it would be safe to delete the files it finds
    CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.

See if info on this page can help with your bookmarks

How To Restore And Recover Your Firefox Bookmarks
    How To Restore And Recover Your Firefox Bookmarks

I would run ccleaner first and then make your decisions from there and when all is working properly, run ccleaner again to clean up any leftover items in the registry

This info should help

Jul 18, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Thanks a lot!
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 05:49 PM
    One last thing I meant to mention above, when all set, Defrag your drive

Start, programs, accessories, system tools, Defragment drive

This may take a few hours or more depending if you have done this in past, this will organize files on hard drive for better access and performance. Shouldl probably do this once a month as regular maintenance

Jul 20, 2008, 12:12 AM
    I remove my avg 7.5 leaving only the nod32.. but the windows security alert is still on my task bar saying that my antivirus is not installed
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 04:53 AM
    You should uninstall it and then reinstall it so it can register itself again with the system, for some reason obviusly system is not seeing it or the installation is corrupt

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't Delete Folder - Can't Turn Off Read-Only [ 4 Answers ]

I created a temporary folder on my desktop to download some photos from an old SD card before I tossed it, then sent them from the folder to burn on a CD. No Problem. Now I can't delete the temporary desktop folder. When I go to properties, it says read-only. I unchecked it from read-only, but...

Delete old folder from previous xp installation [ 1 Answers ]

My computer has 2 hard drives. When I reinstalled windows XP SPII my old documents folder which resides in another partition will not allow me to acess it. I no longer need the folder and I just want to free up the space. Any suggestions?

Program still in add/remove after uninstall [ 1 Answers ]

I uninstalled itunes and quicktime from add/remove programs. Even though its uninstalled The itunes is still there in my add/remove program and also in my start/programs section. I uninstalled it several times but its still there. What do I do to fix this?

Uninstall preinstall antivirus program [ 3 Answers ]

How do you uninstall a installed virus program installed from the factory? I want to reinstall windows 98 on a used dell for it doesn't have a phone modem program installed. I think if I do this, it might put the phone back in? But it keeps saying to disable virus before it will goes on. Will...

Can't delete album folder from My Music. [ 3 Answers ]

I was having problems playing songs on Musicmatch Jukebox, from one of the cds I ripped to My Music. I tried to delete the artist's folder but it won't let me (cannot delete file: cannot read from the source file or disk). I opened this folder and saw two folders with the name of the album on...

View more questions Search