Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    3apples2384 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 05:11 PM
    What can I do
    Ok here is my question My ex called me and told me he wants to sign over his rights to our children cause he doesn't want to pay child support anymore what can I do to stop that? I am working 2 part time jobs and 1 full time job to support them. I think that it is the most selfish thing I have ever heard I want him to have to pay child support what can I do? What should I do?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 05:29 PM
    He can not sign away rights to get out of paying child support
    Even if he could sign away his rights he most likely would still be responsible for child support
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 06:48 PM
    He absolutely cannot get out of paying child support no matter what he "signs over". He can decide not to exercise his rights (to visitation, etc), but he can't walk away from the obligation to financially support his children. I assume that he is under court order to pay child support, so if he stops paying haul him back to court and they will enforce their order. If you marry somebody else who wants to legally adopt your children, then, and only then, will the court allow him to stop paying.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 06:51 PM
    You laugh at him and say in his dreams
    He can not just sign over his rights, and even if you agreed and let him sign over the rights, that does not stop the child support payments unless there is someone to adopt the child.

So what do you do, make sure there is a court ordered child support due, and take him back to court every time he is late at all.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 07:09 PM
    It sounds as though:

1. He is just plain stupid ( and you just can't reason with stupid.. no never) and the court will deal with all that.

2. He is trying to rattle you, don't let that happen. Anyone who is trying to do that and sees some success, will only keep it up.

I agree W/ Fr Chuck... stand up to him with confidence, "laugh in his face" his silly plan will not work... now you hold the aces...

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search