Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kerensak Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2006, 02:58 PM
    Determining Cost of Plant Assets _URGENT!
    Please don't think I don't know this stuff because up to this point I have done very well. My teacher sucks at explaining this stuff and it is hard for me to self-teach myself stuff that is completely foreign to me. The examples in the book are good, but then when I try to relate it back to the problem I get confused. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm asking for the answers. I'm asking for the answers and how you get to them so I know in the future for more homework problems.

PROBLEM
    Wilmet College recently purchased new computing equipment for its library. The following information refers to the purchase and installation of this equipment:

1. The list price of the equipment was $275,000; however, Wilmet College qualified for an "education discount" of $25,000. It paid $50,000 cash for the equipment, and issued a 3-month, 9% note payable for the remaining balance. The note, plus accrued interest charges of $4500, was paid promptly @ the maturity date.
    2. In addition to the amounts descibed in #1, Wilmet paid sales taxes of $15,000 @ the date of the purchase.
    3. Freight charges for delivery of the equipment totaled $1000.
    4. Installation costs related to the equipment amounted to $5000.
    5. During installation, one of the computer terminals was accidentally damaged by a library employee. It cost the college $500 to repair the damage.
    6. As soon as the computers were installed, the college paid $4000 to print admissions brochures featuring the library's new, state-of-the-art computing facilities

INSTRUCTIONS
    A. In one sentence, make a general statement summarizing the nature of the expenditures that qualify for inclusion in the cost of plant assets such as computing equipment.
    B. For each of the 6 numbered paragraphs (above), indicate which items should be included by Wilmet College in the total cost debited to its Computing Equipment account.
    C. Cinoyte the total cost debited to the college's Computing Equipment account.
    D/ Prepare a journal entry at the end of the current year to record depreciation on the computing equipment. Wilmet College will depreciate this equipment by the straight-line method (half-year convention) over an estimated useful life of 5 years. Assume a zero R.V.

I'm pretty sure I can take care of A by myself though.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2006, 01:43 PM
    What to capitalize:
    1. The list price of the equipment was $275,000; however, Wilmet College qualified for an "education discount" of $25,000.
    2. In addition to the amounts described in #1, Wilmet paid sales taxes of $15,000 @ the date of the purchase.
    3. Freight charges for delivery of the equipment totaled $1000.
    4. Installation costs related to the equipment amounted to $5000.

What NOT to capitalize, and therefore expense:
    5. During installation, one of the computer terminals was accidentally damaged by a library employee. It cost the college $500 to repair the damage.
    6. As soon as the computers were installed, the college paid $4000 to print admissions brochures featuring the library's new, state-of-the-art computing facilities
    1. The note, plus accrued interest charges of $4500, was paid promptly @ the maturity date.

Total Capitalized = 250,000 + 15,000 + 1,000 + 5,000 = $271,000
    Total Expensed = 500 + 4,000 + 4,500 = $9,000

Note: I am not 100% sure about what to do with the $4,500 interest expense. I think it would be expensed rather than capitalized, but I am not 100% sure on that off hand.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2006, 01:46 PM
    C:
    271,000/5 = 54,200/year

Yr 1 = 54,200 x .5 = $27,100

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Determining Age of washer [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! Was curious if there is a way to determine manufacture date on washer & dryer by the model, serial or stock numbers on the equipment. They are KitchenAids. Thanks. Sandi

Anyone know the name of this plant? [ 2 Answers ]

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/329839/2/istockphoto_329839_feathery_plants.jpg Urgent, thanks!

Legal Ways of Determining US Citizenship [ 7 Answers ]

Are there any legal ways of determining if an employee is a US citizen and/or able to work in the US prior to hiring on the application?

Determining the asset type [ 1 Answers ]

What type of assets are oil reserves, gold mines, and U.S. Treasury notes? Are they fixed, intangible, natural resources?

Opportunity cost vs relevant cost [ 2 Answers ]

I am confused between the two costs, opportunity cost and relevant cost. What's the relation between them and difference from each ? Can someone help to explain it? Thx.

View more questions Search