Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oceanbutterfly Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Retaining water
    I am in my 40s and have been doing the weight watchers program for several months now. I am doing fairly good with it but a problem that has been occurring as of late is water retention. I drink probably 10-12 glasses of water a day and have limited my salt (sodium) intake. I am diabetic and know that sometimes the disease and medications that I take can lend a hand in retention, what I am looking for is natural remedies and or suggestions for best ways to relieve water retention. Any suggestions. Thanks
    pdaher Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Because you're diabetic, do you also have high blood pressure? If so, you may need a diuretic in addition to blood pressure medication to help lower your blood pressure and decrease the water retention. Diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease are all related. Check with your doctor. Try drinking tea instead of plain water. Tea is a natural diuretic.
    oceanbutterfly Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Thank you I didn't even think of tea, will try that. No to the high blood pressure in fact just the opposite I tend to run pretty low 80/50ish, but will keep that in mind too. I appreciate your response. Thanks
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 02:45 PM
    Are you eating ready-made meals? Those are usually very high in sodium.

Green tea is especially good for you, but do not use tea to replace your water intake. You can actually become dehydrated quickly as a result.

Exercise can help your body to sweat out extra salt and toxins.
    ForeverZero Posts: 312, Reputation: 82

Jul 26, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Water retention is temporary. It's the water your body's using to clear out (usually sodium) nonessential substances. Usually you piss it out or sweat it out. It's not a permanent thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think I'm retaining water [ 3 Answers ]

I think Im retaining water but Im not sure. This is my first pregnancy so I need help with some questions my mom tells me its normal on everything I say but I don't think so. Everybody is different right? So answers please.:(

Retaining wall [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all I have a 1.9 metre drop in elevation from my grade line on my home to the back alley and was wondering what the specs of lumber has to be tobuild a retaining wall, sections will still be 8 feet. What size posts and what thickness of planks do I have to use, and finally how far up towards...

Do I need a retaining wall? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, Sorry for the long post... I've just had a 15x24 ft above ground pool installed. There is a slope of about a foot, so at one end the pool is ground level, and a foot in-ground at the other. The guys working for the pool installer say they're finished the job, but they've left a 1 foot...

Retaining talents [ 2 Answers ]

I'm writing my dissertation and will like to concentrate on issues on 'retention of talents in a highly conpetitive environments'. What are the things to consider while trying to make such objectives work? Thanks.

Retaining back nut. Whu! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, this is my first post (and its going to be a stupid one!) I recently realised that the cold water tap on the sink in the bathroom was extremely loose and I discovered that what I believe is known as a 'retaining back nut' was broken. It is black and plastic and screws onto the tap just...

View more questions Search