Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Turtley Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Jul 17, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Need to get firewood stacked 18" off the ground
    Hi I have a neighbor that is apparently very jealous of my 4+ ricks of neatly split and stacked firewood. He called the Board of Health on me for excessive firewood on the ground! This 4+ ricks is not directly on the ground but up on 2x4 rick stackers. Finally talked with someone at the Board of Health who said the law in our county is that all consumable products must be stored 18" off the ground. Sounds absurd to me but if I don't comply I could face fines. No, I don't want to get rid of the wood. We have a working fireplace that we use a lot in the winter and I waited over 6 months for this wood to dry and I helped cut , split and stack it to boot. I cannot find retail firewood stackers that will raise it up 18" off the ground. I thought about concrete building blocks, rebar, and treated 2x4's but am concerned about how to construct it and maintain stability. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have to have this done by 7/23. What does it say in the Bible about Love thy Neighbor? I am finding that hard to do right now. Thanks!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 09:30 AM
    I would build it right next to where you have the wood if possible then you can just move it over basically.
    I would build the concrete and rebar. Rebar is pretty sturdy but I would do some kind of support down the middle

I found this site and it might help you with some ideas on making it sturdy
    Rebar Positioners

Jul 17, 2008, 09:34 AM
    Thanks, I'll check it out!
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Have a look at Dek-BlockŪ Piers with some 2x10 or larger joists and short 4x4 columns to get the height. Could also pour some concrete pads to sit the blocks on to gain height too. Make yourself a narrow mini-deck.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 12:59 PM
    I would build this, all treated 2x4 material and sized to fit your needs. I would build it as close to my neighbors house as possible. And I would not try to make it "purty"
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Yeah that is a really good idea and then they can even throw a purdy tarp over the frame to keep the wood dry in bad weather. :D
    They can build the base first just to get it done in time and work on fancying up the upper frame later.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 12:49 PM
    You have some good suggestions here but I'd call that health inspectors boss and ask more questions. Fire wood is not a consumable product. That term is better applied to food.
    kidolph Posts: 90, Reputation: 12

Jul 26, 2008, 07:05 AM
    Since wood could also be a building material, I would say thet the stack below 18" is the support for that which is above 18" and that you have completed the task.

I am sure that there are others in your area who are in "non-compliance". See what health department is doing about them.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Where I live the township ordinance guy and anybody in authority of whatever always single certain people out and then when you say everybody on that street is doing the same thing
    Or whatever they have a pat answer "We are focused on you not them" Then pointing out that they are discriminating makes them out to get you. I would maybe just find something to turn the neighbor in for.

Jul 26, 2008, 11:14 AM
    I like Ken's logic. I'm still thinking there is no such rule for fire wood but unless Turtley comes back we may never know.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Yeah different towns have different ordinances.
    Some of the places in my county say you are not allowed to have bushes in your front yard.
    It depends how picky they want to be.
    One town doesn't even allow you to drink in your own back yard.

Jul 26, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Hey and thanks to all of you that responded! I am here now. I had to work today and just got home. Got a hold of the BoH inspector who said he was not concerned about my neatly stacked firewood if this neighbor had not caused a big fuss. This particular neighbor has all kinds of citations and is just trying to get even however he can. He is not just funny hah-ha crazy, but really crazy! Anyway he is reporting anyone and everyone he can for whatever he can because he is trying to divert attention from himself and report whomever keeps reporting him for his messy yard. I did raise the wood up to 19 3/8" I'll try to post pics soon if I can get my software to work for me. This is interesting. I would love to pay him back ...but I make a habit of not taunting "crazy" Thanks again!
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 03:14 PM
    I really hope you put it up right where he has a better view of it :D

Jul 26, 2008, 03:18 PM
    Post follow up.. the code that was cited referred to "usable consumable building products". There is no language in the code that refers to firewood. However, if my moving my firewood means that The BoH will stay on this "crazy" neighbor I am willing to comply to whatever they suggest. It will also preserve the four cords of wood I have now restacked.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 03:23 PM
    LOL send him a thank you card for calling it to your attention because now your wood is better off :D

Jul 26, 2008, 03:24 PM
    I am going to try to post pictures! What's funny is that when we were stacking all the wood he came down and said the BoH told him that his wood had to be 6" off the ground and he made it clear that he heats his house with wood. If I had given him some of this wood I probably would not be in this position now. Now that I have had to raise the wood it looks like a wood showcase. He came down to check it out on Sunday and was wowed! I am not giving him a stick of it. Thats how I play with "crazy", by not giving in.

Jul 26, 2008, 03:28 PM
    He doesn't know that I know he is the one that reported. I did however tell him last Sunday that it really was a good thing for our wood. He again mentioned that he heats his house with wood. I might invite him down to look at my beautiful 4 cords that are showcased so beautifully frequently. Too funny!

Jul 26, 2008, 03:38 PM
    Thanks! You guys are great! I appreciate the support. This upset me pretty badly to begin with. I told the guy at the BoH that I have never been reported before and he said most people have never been reported for "firewood". Laugh or cry? I choose to laugh! LOL!

Jul 26, 2008, 04:18 PM
    I cannot get the pictures to post. It is truly a beautiful stack of wood though! Thanks again. I'll post again if I get more info. I have filed an incident report with our local police department because when the "crazy" guy came down on Sunday he threatened that if anyone calls the BoH on him he will make sure they walk through everyone's backyard to inspect them too. Bring it on I say! We have a very neat and tidy neighborhood except for this guy. I'll post more as it comes.. the saga continues... Give me plumbing/electrical issues anyday over this crazy guy and my firewood!

Jul 26, 2008, 07:38 PM
    Be careful when thinking of getting even with a crazy. My dad used to say its like getting into a wee wee fight with a skunk, you can never win. As I suspected the code did not specify fire wood. If he is a true crazy you have not heard the last of him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can any teach me how to construct a traditional firewood oven? [ 2 Answers ]

I need a big oven if ever I want to put up a bakery. However, I do not have the money to buy an industrial or commercial oven. Electricity rates are also high in where I come from. So maybe, I can construct my own firewood/ clay/ cement traditional oven. Anyone can help me how to do it, please do...

Firewood or Duralogs [ 1 Answers ]

I turn to my trusty experts again... Do I pay $150 for 2 rows of 4' x 4' firewood or do I buy duralogs (box of 6 for $20)? We aren't using it for heating, just aesthetic/ ambiance.

"Bad Ground" [ 1 Answers ]

I blew a 15 amp circuit. When I reset the circuit breaker I got power but now my circuit analyzer says I have a "bad ground" Can a "bad" circuit breaker cause this? Thanks

Moldy Firewood [ 1 Answers ]

I have obtained several packaged bundles of Kiln-dried firewood. Several pieces of the split wood have mold growing on them, olive drab in color. Are these safe to use in my fireplace?

Help with Stacked Bathrooms [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I live in an 800 square foot slab on grade home with 1 bathroom. I am adding a second story and including a bathroom and laundry room on the second floor. I positioned the bathroom by the main stack and the laundry further away. I intended for the toilet, sink, and tub and washing...

View more questions Search