Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timsalexander Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Accident in Tx
    I was recently involved in a car accident near Austin, TX. I was driving a rental car returning to a hotel on a windy road and in the dark. Speed was approximately 25 mph for both cars (estimate).

As I rounded a corner I saw lights coming from the other direction and corrected to the right, impacting the side curb and then throwing me back to the center, hitting the other person near the center line. The accident happened so quickly I can't squarely place fault, but my car did impact the side of hers.

The impact of the accident totalled the other driver's car. Mine was a rental. Both insurance companies have been contacted and the process of investigation is proceeding. The father of the other driver is convinced the accident was my fault (although he was not there until after the fact) and is threatening legal action if the insurance investigation is not to his liking. He has asked that I just pay blue book on the other car and we will be settled. I don't have results from the insurance investigations yet, nor the police report.

Anyone have experience or advice?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 08:54 AM
    He is threatening you to pay instead of the insurance company?
    That is harassment
    But from what you say all they did was have their headlights on and
    I see no fault of theirs in what you said.

Tell the father that he will have to talk directly to your insurance company because you do not appreciate the harassment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Yes, he has full legal right to sue you, he does not have to accept the insurance companies answer if he does not want to.

A lot will depend on the police report, but your statement, you hit the curb and it sent you back, that could easily send you across the line. The police should have tried to determine the Point of First Inpact location, this though skid marks and body parts on road. Plus skid of vechiles to the final resting place.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 01:32 PM
    You have insurance, they will represent you in this matter.

If you crossed the center line, after hitting the curb, you are at fault.

Yes, he can sue you, but this is the reason you have insurance, so that you have legal representation if he does.

Tell him you will not speak to him again about this and tell him to speak with your insurance company if he has any questions.
    jasking Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 03:31 PM
    Definitely wait for the insurance companies' decisions and refuse to negotiate anything with this man until the insurers have finished... otherwise, you might lose the coverage they provide you. Some insurance coverages become void if the insured person negotiates on their own.

He does have the right to sue you if the insurance settlement isn't to his satisfaction, but he doesn't have the right to harass you about it. If the settlement is too little to satisfy him, you could negotiate with him for an additional amount, if you like, but I'd have an attorney involved to make sure you're released from all liability when you hand over a check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Accident [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I involved in a car accident , looks it will be my fault.but not sure.Now the other person is seeking compensation for his personal injuries happened in the accident. So far I haven't contacted the attorney/lawyer but informed my insurance.But my liability is very low 50k to 100k , I doubt...

Car accident [ 2 Answers ]

I was in a accident where I was backing out of a parking spot. When I shifted to first my vehicle was jarred forward. I looked in my rearview mirror and the reverse lights were on on the other vehivle. I got out and assesed the damage none to my car and a slight dent in the other. I asked if...

Car accident [ 2 Answers ]

Listen guy I just had a car accident this morning .I was physically fine and mentally good, but the sad think my car is not cover with no insurance companies, and it crash. I am still paying off the car and I don't know what to do. Please anybody who can help I be glad to get some advice God...

Car accident [ 4 Answers ]

I was in a car accident, it wasn't big the driver behind me rear ended me, there was no damage to my car or hers, and we did not exchange insurance or did not call police. We just exchanged phone numbers. But, now I want to know if she can go against me.

View more questions Search