Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 08:37 AM
    The latest statement from Dede Myers?
    So, what do you think about her comment, and I will paraphrase since I can't find it posted anywhere yet:

Obama does not have to be better than McCain, he just needs to be credible.

If that is the case, he's in BIG trouble!

Credibility is his weakest point.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 08:48 AM
    There is no doubt that this election is a referendum of Obama . McCain is either the sacrificial lamb or the acceptable alternative.

Meyers should have loftier goals for her presumptive nominee. He is a irresistible force, a movement ,a revolution . He is preordained ,transcending .

Credibility ? pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Who needs credibility with all that Messianic star power and an adoring public and media? All three major networks will be sending their stars to accompany him on the Baraq tour and they'll furnish the credibility whether he deserves it or not.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 10:25 AM
    The 'fairness doctrine 'in action

You see Steve ; it was McCain who was making a big stink over the fact that BO had not gone to Iraq in a while. Then he invited him to go together in a sort of 'Barack and John's excellent adventure'. Instead Bo is taking a page from Evita Peron and is going on a 'rainbow tour' .

Word is that instead of speaking in front of the Brandenberg Gate ,he will be invited to speak outside of the newly restored Reichstag.

He will be able to confer with General Odierno in Baghdad and pretend to be Presidential ;"listening to the advice of his Generals" that President Bush allegedly refused to do .[that is of course before he calls them into the Oval office in January and tells them to pack up and retreat].

All this will be dutifully recorded by his groupies in the MSM . Chris Matthews is sure to get the tingles .
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jul 17, 2008, 10:46 AM
    My guess is that you couldn't find her because you spelled her name wrong. I think it's Dee Dee Myers. If that was her quote in context, even paraphrased, Dee Dee is obviously politically biased and most likely her hemorrhoids flared up again after being reminded that she's not going to get another shot at White House Press Secretary.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Here is the exact quote
    "I think it's critical, it's a high wire act he's taking on here. This will be covered much more like a first trip by a president than a presidential candidate. He has to be credible as commander in chief, not better than McCain but credible."
    I don't believe that this is a risky trip at all. All he has to do is wave at the adoring crowds in Europe and look serious when meeting the military in Baghdad... maybe hand out some candy bars to kids for effect.

The last time McCain was there he was ignored by the press except for when they felt he stumbled and misspoke. Then everyone made fun of his age.

Jul 17, 2008, 11:18 AM
    She's speaking from the Clinton play book. No surprise, that's where she learned politics. But now that we have the exact quote, Dee Dee didn't provide any new revelations. Most everyone in Europe, or most places around the world for that matter, know that the Republican admin is responsible for the weak views of Americans given our current status.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 11:36 AM
    He has to be credible as commander in chief, not better than McCain but credible."
    Barack Obama said, "I'm going to call in the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and give them a new mission, and that is to bring the war in Iraq to a close." The problem is that the Joint Chief of Staff does not have operational command of the U.S. Military.

According to the chain of command for the United States, the responsibility of conducting military operations goes directly from the President to the Secretary of Defense and straight from there to the Unified Combatant Commands. In other words;the Joint Chiefs get bypassed in the decision process. At best they advise the President and the Sec. Defense .

Their primary responsibility is to ensure the personnel readiness, policy, planning and training of their services for the combatant commanders to utilize.

Perhaps that is what she meant about a credible CIC . One who knows the chain of command.

Jul 17, 2008, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    The problem is that the Joint Chief of Staff does not have operational command of the U.S. Military.

First off, it's the Joint Chiefs, plural. Secondly, Obama would be getting the staff together to inform them and work a plan. He will also bring the Secretary of Defence. That is correct protocol in business. I know you are used to thinking Dubya just did things at the snap of his fingers, but that not so. For example, from earlier in the campaign Hillary said the same, because it is correct:

HillaryClinton.com - Speech

"As President, I will convene the Joint Chiefs of Staff, my Secretary of Defense and my National Security Council and direct them to draw up a clear, viable plan to bring our troops home starting within the first 60 days of my Administration"

Even if McCain was to become president without term limit restrictions, and lived to be another hundred years old, he'd have to call the Joint Chiefs of Staff for a meeting to plan closure on the war.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Multiple-step income statement in good form and retained earnings statement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I would like someone to check to see if I did this correctly, if I did not then please help. Thanks The Problem is: The following pretax amounts pertain to River Corp. for the year ended December 31, 2008. Sales... $400,000 Operating Expenses... 84,000 Extraordinary gain... 30,000...

Income statement, owners equity statement and balance sheet [ 6 Answers ]

Les Fleurs, a boutique in Paris, France, had the following accounts in its accounting records at December 31, 20X2 (amounts in Euros, denoted as "E") Purchases………………... E250,000 Freight In……………… E8,000 Sales discounts…………. 4,000 Purchase returns…….. 7,000 Inventory Sales…………………. ...

Financial Statement with Balance sheet and income statement [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the problem: The Hobart Company incurred the following transactions during 2003: A. Acquired $50,000 of cash capital from owners B. Paid $10,000 to acquire manufacturing equipment C. Paid $5,000 cash for materials used in production D. Paid $2,000 for wages of production workers...

Myers Whiskey bottle [ 8 Answers ]

Please help identify value of a clear blown glass whiskey bottle. It is approx 10 3/4" tall and quite wide with no neck. It has a corn cob stopper and round glass ball that sits down over it. No handle. Says on it " Myers & Company Distillers".On the back it says "Package Patented". I finally found...

What is the correct financial statement-statement of cash flows wording? [ 2 Answers ]

Cash (used) in operating activities <10,000> Cash (used) in investing activities 10,000 Thank you for any help you can provide.

View more questions Search