Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cntrygal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2006, 11:53 AM
    Smell in bathroom sinks
    Hello,

We have a house that was built in 2004 and in the past few months I have noticed this really bad smell coming from my drains in the master bath sinks. We have a double sink in this bathroom and notice it coming more from one than the other... any idea on what this could be and what needs to be done? In case you need to know this is a modified 2 story with a basement and this located on the upper level. The bathroom on the main level has no smells. At this point the basement is unfinished. Also this is city sewage

Thanks in advance
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Apr 2, 2006, 12:19 PM
    Look underneath the sink at the drain pipe. Is there a p-trap on it? It should be a U-bend that looks like it's built to hold a small amount of water. This small amount of water keeps sewer gas from being able to come up the drains and into your house.

If you do have a p-trap, try pouring some boiling water down the sink. A whole kettle full. See if that gets rid of the smell. Sometimes the gunk on the inside of a drain can start to smell. My mom would always pour boiling water down the kitchen drain every few months or so.

If neither of these things work, you may have a venting problem. The main stack in a house will go from the basement all the way up and through the roof. When water runs down the drain, air will get sucked in the top of the vent. If the vent is blocked, the same suction will occur, and it can suck the water right out of a p-trap. Others on this forum probably have better suggestions than me to check if this is your problem.

Cheers
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 2, 2006, 03:22 PM
    dmatos gave you some good advice. Let me add to it. Most bad smells in tubs, showers and lavatories come from rotting hair mixed with grease from the soap. Pull the stopper free in the lav with the odor. ( If it won't come free click on back and I'll instruct you how to free it.) Shine a light down the drain. About 8" down you'll see a little rod sticking out. Fish out any hair that may be hung up on it. Now, before you go to bed pour 1/2 gallon of bleach down the drain and let it work overnight. Next morning flush the entire mess out with boiling water as damtos suggected. Smell all gone now?
    Regards, Tom
    cntrygal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2006, 08:34 PM
    Thank you both for your responses. Tonight I am going to try the boiling water. Although I did forget to mention I don't notice the smell until I turn on the water... not sure if that makes any difference.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 3, 2006, 06:12 AM
    Check the drain for rotting hair and then do the bleach tonight and the boiling water in the morning. Good luck, tom
    ejj88 Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2006, 08:54 AM
    This is so true. This weekend, I took apart my bathroom sink so I could paint the wall behind it. I got to taking the pipes apart and my lord it was so ugly to see all the crud that forms inside these pipes.
    It was like a grease type. I ended up disconnecting all the pipes at the joints so I could clean these out before I put that back on.
    But, anyway, my point is, yes it would be a great idea to pour bleach and then to flush with boiling water every so often.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 9 Answers ]

:eek: Our main bathroom off the master bedroom has a sewage smell coming from the shower. The drain is not clogged, the toilet and sink are fine. No smell from the sink or toilet, seems to be from the shower only. Our house is on septic system and drainfield. No soggy grass around the drainfield...

About codes in bathroom sinks [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my home was inspected today and on the report it says that under my bathroom sink is a thick black hose attached to the pvc it was like that when I bought my home. The buyer is wanting it to be different do I have to change it is a code that it has to all be pvc or are they just trying to get...

Smell in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, I live in a relatively new home and over the past few months I've noticed a mild sewage smell in my 2nd floor bathroom. The smell does not seem to be coming from anywhere in particular. I have noticed that on windy days the smell is more noticeable. The water drains fine in all cases....

Mildew smell in bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 2 yr old house, for about the last 2 months there has been a terrible mildew smell in one of the bathrooms. The bathroom is used on a daily basis... We have taken everything out of there 3 times now and scrubbed it down with bleach/cleaner, replaced shower curtain, rugs,towels,etc.. It...

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

We have one bathroom in our house used by 4 people. Every once in a while, there is a strong sewage smell. It is intermittent, there is no certain time that it is present. I cannot pinpoint it to a certain drain or area in the bathroom. When the heat comes on, it is VERY strong when it is present...

View more questions Search