Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 17, 2008, 06:23 AM
    New Definition of Chutzpah
    Ok, I read this one in this morning's Metro and had to shake my head.

A clothing designer has a store in NYC. He was selling T-Shirts with the saying; Obama is my slave. A girl who bought this shirt (for $69!! ) wore it in the Union Square area. Four teenage girls, attacked her, pushing her, yanking her earphones out and spitting on her.

Now get this, she is suing the designer! The article didn't list what grounds she is suing over, but please, SHE bought the shirt and SHE decided to wear it. The designer didn't force her to.

While I don't agree with the message on the shirt, this is an issue of personal responsibility.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 06:40 AM
    That is crazy but there are a lot of crazy people and they very often get away with it.
    I have heard of many people suing the manufacturer AND winning for stupid common sense things.
    Like a jogger sued I think it was Reebok because she tripped and fell on the shoe laces.

That is why so many manufacturers are including warnings like

"This product not intended for use as a dental drill." -- On an electric rotary tool.

Do not drive with sunshield in place." -- On a cardboard sunshield that keeps the sun off the dashboard.

"For external use only!" -- On a curling iron.

"Do not use in shower." -- On a hair dryer.

"Do not use while sleeping." -- On a hair dryer.

"Do not use while sleeping or unconscious." -- On a hand-held massaging device.

"Recycled flush water unsafe for drinking." -- On a toilet at a public sports facility in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

"Shin pads cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover." -- On a pair of shin guards made for bicyclists.

"Cannot be made non-poisonous." -- On the back of a can of de-icing windshield fluid.

"Caution: Remove infant before folding for storage." -- On a portable stroller.

"Do not iron clothes on body." -- On packaging for a Rowenta iron.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 17, 2008, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    I have heard of many people suing the manufacturer AND winning for stupid common sense things.
    Like a jogger sued I think it was Reebok because she tripped and fell on the shoe laces.
    Yes, but its conceivable that Reebok made the shoes or laces so they easily could come undone.

This situation is ALL about personal responsibility.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Ok, I read this one in this morning's Metro and had to shake my head.

A clothing designer has a store in NYC. He was selling T-Shirts with the saying; Obama is my slave. A girl who bought this shirt (for $69!!!!) wore it in the Union Square area. Four teenage girls, attacked her, pushing her, yanking her earphones out and spitting on her.

Now get this, she is suing the designer! The article didn't list what grounds she is suing over, but please, SHE bought the shirt and SHE decided to wear it. The designer didn't force her to.

While I don't agree with the message on the shirt, this is an issue of personal responsibility.

Scott, you would not believe the matters I get assigned to investigate. This is just the tip of the iceberg. And I am always amazed that Attorneys choose to take the cases.

Some day I'll write a book.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 07:25 AM
    Yeah I have many shoe laces that I have tripped over because no matter how much I double knot them they end up coming lose and I trip. But that is mostly with the round work boot laces. I never thought to sue... maybe next time I will.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee

Some day I'll write a book.
    I will help. My neighbor is sue crazy he stomped on his razor blade, put it back in the razor shaved, cut himself and sued the razor company. Most recently he conveniently cut his mouth on glass while eating a Hershey bar they sent him $500.00
    I have heard so many of the stories and I think people get away with most of them because the company wants to settle out of court.

There was the girl that purposely dumped her drink and then slipped and feel and sued the fast food place too.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 12:15 PM
    T

"Caution: Remove infant before folding for storage." -- On a portable stroller.

Is this one for real?
    :eek: People actually fold their strollers with baby inside?
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 12:17 PM
    They have a dumb warnings on products thing once a year and I believe that was voted #1 a couple years ago.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 12:24 PM
    They have a dumb warnings on products thing once a year and I believe that was voted #1 a couple years ago.

I also saw a warning on a toaster years ago - my sister was an insurance adjuster - that said not to use it in the shower. Go figure?

You know the true definition of Chutzpah - my husband used to say this in Yiddish and it loosely translates to: A person with Chutzpah murders both of his parents and then asks the Court for leniency because he's an orphan.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Sounds like that famous trial a few years back with the two brothers that killed their parents can't remember their names,

Wearing of This Garment Does Not Enable You to Fly : 101 Real Dumb Warning Labels

Amazon.com: Wearing of This Garment Does Not Enable You to Fly : 101 Real Dumb Warning Labels: Jeff Koon, Andy Powell, Tim Carroll: Books
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    You know the true definition of Chutzpah - my husband used to say this in Yiddish and it loosely translates to: A person with Chutzpah murders both of his parents and then asks the Court for leniency because he's an orphan.
    I never knew that!

I thought it was all about something inspirational... and it is nowhere near being inspirational!:(

NoH,
    I would have voted that baby stroller warning as dumb but now that I think about it,maybe people need to be warned about all sorts of things we never think twice about.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 12:35 PM
    Especially people with the mentality of Scott's post
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 12:45 PM
    The world's weirdest cases - Times Online

Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 12:47 PM
    sounds like that famous trial a few years back with the two brothers that killed their parents can't remember their names,

Wearing of This Garment Does Not Enable You to Fly : 101 Real Dumb Warning Labels

Amazon.com: Wearing of This Garment Does Not Enable You to Fly : 101 Real Dumb Warning Labels: Jeff Koon, Andy Powell, Tim Carroll: Books

Oh, I love the site! Great stuff! There used to be two great books - one was the funniest letters/papers ever written by Attorneys (and there were some classics, you would have loved it) and the other was insurance claims, stuff like "I was driving down the street and a tree ran into my car." I can't for the life of me remember the names of the books.

Mendenez brothers? Something like that - ? On a completely different subject, one of them "fell in love with" and married one of his jailhouse visitors.

If he ever gets out do you think she'll sleep with her eyes open?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Definition of disability [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know if I am disable or not. I have been diagonsed nerve deaf on my right ear since 2005. Many test shown that there is no improvement from my hearing. Although I have been prescribed a hearing aid but the consultant already warned me that it would not help my hearing as my nerve were...

Accounting Definition [ 1 Answers ]

:) What Is The Definition Of Accounting?

Lien - definition and ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I just received a lien against my condo (which I OWN) for failure to pay Maintenance Fees. First off, the amount owed was $2815. Then they tacked on attorneys fees, late fees, and the Maintenance fees until September, 2008 (!) so I now owe $5,900. What exactly is a lien? And can they...

Ebay... Definition. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I need a clear, simple, generic definition of Ebay in a paragraph or so.. thanks. [email protected] THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help I can't find one anywhere... undefinedundefinedundefined

View more questions Search