Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    easqw`s problem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2006, 09:12 AM
    My 7 year old won't eat
    My 7 year old won't at all he eats when he feels like it and I have to almost force food in his mouth to eat it please help me I just don't knowe what to do any more
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2006, 09:42 AM
    Of course you need to be sure there is nothing physcial wrong that would make him not eat, I will assume he is eating fine just not at meals, he wants to eat at 11 pm, not 6 pm and so on, and I will assueme you are then just letting him eat when he wants to, sort of like a cow grassing

Well if you don't let him eat when "he feels like it" and only give him the chance to eat when you serve your meals. No snacks at all, no "ohhh" he must be hungry let him eat. You set a fast rule that he only eats at meals.
    Give it a day, he will start eating at meals when he gets hungry enough
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2006, 07:22 PM
    A lot of children that age are like that. I wouldn't force him to eat as that could lead to weight problems later in life. Just be sure that when he does eat it's healthful food and not "junk." You could also try a chewable children's vitamin supplement to ensure that he's getting adequate nutrition.
    weda_7526 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Apr 3, 2006, 01:59 PM
    My son went through a phase of only eating noodles for a month. I talked to his dr. and WIC. They said to start worrying when he won't eat at all. It wouldn't hurt to take him in for a check - up.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2006, 07:41 AM
    Hi,
    I agree with the answer about taking your son to a Doctor for a checkup. Find out if anything is wrong; may not be, but it put your mind "at ease" about anything like that.
    Children will not starve themselves to death, on purpose!
    Many of today's children (as company to many, many years ago) are used to eating McDonalds, or french fries, or potato chips, or other what I call "junk foods". Anything fast has become the "normal" feeding of many children.
    If a baby, when old enough to eat solid foods, is sitting at a table with many different foods, like meats, veggies, etc, they will chose foods for themselves and eat it.
    Your child eats when he feels like it? So that means he has some kind of food available to him, anytime, day or night.
    As another answer said, limit his food to breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
    He will eventually eat what you give him; unless of course, there is another problem only a Doctor would know about.
    My daughter went through a phase where she would only eat grilled cheese sandwiches, and plain hot dogs! So that's what she ate, but only during normal lunch times, etc.
    I do wish you the best, and hang in there. It's common.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 5, 2006, 06:24 AM
    My one-year-old son had an eating problem as well. He refused to swallow and spat out almost everything we tried to feed him and grimaced as if the taste was awful. This included ice-cream, honey, and other foods which children usually enjoy. After struggling to get him to eat for some time we finally took him to the doctor. It was found that things tasted differently to him than they did to the majority o children. We were given instructions on how to gradually overcome this and it took a lot of time patience and effort to get him over this difficulty. So yes, I agree, taking your child to see a pediatrician is the wise thing to do.
    pab Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2006, 02:23 PM
    Maybe he doesn't like what you are feeding him. Take him to fast food and see if he'll eat a burger. Or a milk shake. If he doesn't eat that, then inquire further. I think kids grow in spurts and eat in spurts. If he's eating some food, don't worry about it. If you are real concerened, ask your doctor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

15 year old [ 11 Answers ]

Well it has been a while. Does anyone know what will happen if: Went to mediation. Do not work. Ex is seeking change in residential address for my 15 year old. Image this happened at the same time I sought child support modification after 11 years. Hmmmm. Anyway, court ordered a GAL which I...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

6th Year F1, Converted to H-1B last year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, Thank you so much for everything you have done for all of us. I really really appreciate your help and advice. You are THE man! My case is like that: I came to US on F1 in 08/2000, and had been on F1 until I got my H-1B visa on Nov. 1st last year. From last May to last Oct. I...

6th year of f1/opt [ 5 Answers ]

HI, I was in my 6th year of f1+opt during 2005. I heard that I can still file as non-resident alien if I am able to file a statement claiming closer connection to home(india). My h1b started on feb 2006. If I can file as a non-resident alien for 2005, what forms do I need to fill out, and is...

Pregnant 16 year old, by 14 year old [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if anyone knows the rape laws in Ohio. There is a situation that I need to find out. I know a 16 year old girl pregnant by a 14 year old boy. Is their a rape law that would apply. Can the 14 year old boys parents go after the 16 year old girl or can the girls parents go...

View more questions Search