Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hjpan Posts: 902, Reputation: 29

Jul 16, 2008, 11:17 PM
    Being accused of going against the rules & banning
    I used to go to a public forum site where I posted replies, similar to AMHD, but I have been accused of "trolling." I received an email that my account has been permanently banned for trying to stir up emotions, spamming, and such. Recently, I have called up the headquarters for this website and I talked to the manager about the problem. She said that I should contact the person I have been talking to and forward everything to the lady.

The issue is if the stuff gets forwarded, could the user say something to manipulate my case? Right now, I have not sought lawsuit yet but I am planning to do so since their definition of trolling has NOTHING to do with my response to topics.

Any ideas on how to convince the lady to get my account back without lawsuit?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 01:29 AM
    Not sure what the problem is if it has nothing to do with your responses to topics.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 17, 2008, 01:53 AM
    In all honesty you DON'T have any claim at all.
    Bear in mind that this site, and others like it, are PRIVATE and as such members are subject to the various Terms Of Service.

Here are ours: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/faq.ph...#faq_faq_rules.

And before you mention anything about Freedom of speech:

"Freedom Of Speech" is concerned with what the Government can and cannot do.
    This is a PRIVATE forum and as such "Freedom Of speech" DOES NOT apply, we ALL must abide by the site rules.
    People have merely registered to be allowed to use the forum and its facilities. That doesn't confer any rights.

Freedom of speech

Or for the Conar's of this world a more simple version:
    Freedom of speech made simple
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 02:05 AM
    I agree with Curly Ben!

I say just act appropriately, and give useful advice. Besides this site HAS to be far superior to that one anwyays!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hjpan
    I used to go to a public forum site where I posted replies, similiar to AMHD, but I have been accused of "trolling." I received an email that my account has been permanently banned for trying to stir up emotions, spamming, and such. Recently, I have called up the headquarters for this website and I talked to the manager about the problem. She said that I should contact the person I have been talking to and forward everything to the lady.

The issue is if the stuff gets forwarded, could the user say something to manipulate my case? Right now, I have not sought lawsuit yet but I am planning to do so since their definition of trolling has NOTHING to do with my response to topics.

Any ideas on how to convince the lady to get my account back without lawsuit?
    I agree - each site has its own rules. Apparently someone thinks you broke theirs. I'm not familiar with what you've posted here so I don't know the tone of your posts.

Post the site and your name, let people here see if they think you were offensive - it's the only fair way to judge this question. But, as Scott says, unless it's blatantly discriminatory, I don't see an action here.

This is odd because someone else is posting here who was removed from another site - ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 17, 2008, 07:42 AM
    The key point is that these sites are PRIVATELY owned. It's their playground and they can choose who can play on it. They don't have to justify removing or blocking anyone from the site.

Save your time and money and just drop it.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 04:26 PM
    I don't see any kind of a suit being filed - what is your reason considering sites like this are private and have certain rules. Even if you didn't "break" their rules in your eyes, you could have broken them in their eyes. You didn't lose any money. What reason would be for you to sue them? Can't see any. Sorry.

Jul 17, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    I don't see any kind of a suit being filed - what is your reason considering sites like this are private and have certain rules. Even if you didn't "break" their rules in your eyes, you could have broken them in their eyes. You didn't lose any money. What reason would be for you to sue them? Can't see any. Sorry.
    I am liked because I give helpful advise to people, but the Moderators believe I am trolling...
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 05:06 PM
    It's up to the mods and the owners of the site, just like everyone else said, you don't have a case against them.

Just back down gracefully and move on. You still have this site to go to, and I'm sure it's far superior, at least I think so. :)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 05:24 PM
    I think the problem is your short one liner replies that really don't say much of anything and come off crude
    Your better replies are more detailed and much better.

These can be taken the wrong way I think
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...ml#post1128132

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...ml#post1085920

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...ml#post1148458

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dating...ml#post1152526

Replies like that are not very constructive or helpful
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 06:03 PM
    After reading the posts NoHelp posted, I have to agree. Those posts are not helpful. You have to learn some tact. These kinds of posts will get you banned, sooner or later.

Try to remember, everyone who posts a question is looking for an answer, sometimes you have to be harsh in order to get through, but unkind one liners aren't productive.

As for the other site banning you, they have the right to ban whomever they want, the site is privately owned, and rules and regs have to be followed, if you didn't follow those rules, well, you're banned. There is no legal recourse.

Good luck.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 11:30 AM
    Following the rules is paramount to all of these sites, and take it as a word to the wise, and stay within bounds. Keep it real, as no one can know if your being humorous, or one of those annoying trolls by what was posted. Maybe a change in style can make you more acceptable, than those way out one liners. You haven't had a problem here have you?

Did I just say that??
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 11:34 AM
    Wait a minute: Admin and a woman and can be called?

Oh and good luck on your lawsuit. What damages are you suing for again?

Jul 22, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Wait a minute: Admin and a woman and can be called?

Oh and good luck on your lawsuit. What damages are you suing for again?
    They claim I'm going against their rules but none of my posts HAS to do with their rules.

Jul 22, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Following the rules is paramount to all of these sites, and take it as a word to the wise, and stay within bounds. Keep it real, as no one can know if your being humorous, or one of those annoying trolls by what was posted. Maybe a change in style can make you more acceptable, than those way out one liners. You haven't had a problem here have you?

Did I just say that???????
    Oh no.. It's not AMHD
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Oh no.. it's not AMHD
    Ah, sorry mate, I assumed you were talking about this site. I'll just reiterate what the others have said: these boards are free sites with their own rules, they are free to oust anyone at any time. You have absolutely no recourse legally.

Jul 22, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Ah, sorry mate, I assumed you were talking about this site. I'll just reiterate what the others have said: these boards are free sites with their own rules, they are free to oust anyone at any time. You have absolutely no recourse legally.
    Damn D;

I hate it cause I have been on that site since 2003
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Damn D;

I hate it cause I have been on that site since 2003

So give us the site and your name over there and let us take a look.

Jul 22, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    So give us the site and your name over there and let us take a look.

*** sorry hjpan, edited out we are to keep all things public, rules here.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 04:36 PM
    I would say that yes, you may be taken the wrong way with a history of posts, like even here. Also all info should be keep on the public forum, not asking advice on PM.

If you don't want to name the site it is fine, but there is nothing you can do, if their moderators believe you violated the rule or the intent of the rules, you can be banned, they OWN the site and you have no right to be on them, while you call them "public" they are really private owned and the owners can stop anyone they want from using the boards.

Heck I have been banned from Yahoo answers for almost a year now, they did not like my religious view points.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Banning some one from a funeral [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure if this is where I should be posting? My daughters husbands father is very ill he is going into hospice, his wife the step mother is evil she is constently harassing the kids she is telling them that they can not see his father now or come to the wake or funeral when he passed. We...

Being accused [ 1 Answers ]

The police have not come and got a statement yet do I give them one? What do I do? I didn't do what I'm accused of

Am I within my rights to sue my previous employer for unfair banning? [ 6 Answers ]

Am I within my rights to sue my previous employer for unfair banning of the place of work? Until recently I have worked part time at a bar within the centre of town. I had also acquired another job with better prospects, better pay, better working environment and overall a better place of which...

Changes in Society - do we ignore them, or enforce banning? [ 52 Answers ]

Amazing how they now opt to wait until after the election... After reading this, I wash shocked that a lot of 'closet puritans' want to ban marriages... then why not change the law so that partners in life have certain legal rights accordingly. There are no longer Christmas decorations...

View more questions Search