Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    007iryder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 11:05 PM
    Salary dispute
    I work on a contract for a parastatal company in South Africa. There was never room for salary negotiations but I disagree with the amount I am being paid. What is the process to dispute this salary. I have been working since 2006
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Jul 17, 2008, 05:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 007iryder
    I work on a contract for a parastatal company in South Africa. There was never room for salary negotiations but I disagree with the amount I am being paid. What is the process to dispute this salary. I have been working since 2006
    It's hard to imagine that there is never room for salary negotiations but if you are part of a contract, let's say for a labor union (as an example), you're going to get paid a contracted amount that usually is non-negotiable or contingent on the type of expertise you have (a carpenter might make more than a cement mixer). In most cases, though, salary is negotiable, it's just that most times people either take what is put on the table or they don't have the dapperheid to ask for more.

If you truly believed that the salary was non-negotiable, I don't think you'd be upset about what you are being paid now. What strikes me is that you seem to be frustrated with your current salary probably because you know you could've gotten more. And unless you were really desperate for work, you might have just looked elsewhere; but if you really needed the job, you might have to settle for what you have or start looking again.

After all, you've been working for this company for two years now so it's hardly likely that you'd have any recourse now... except that you approach your boss and plead your case as to why you think you're worth more.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 05:41 AM
    How long is your contract for, normally on contracts at some point you have to do a new one. But if they say, this is the contract, sign it or go find a new job, that is all you can do, if you believe you are worth more money find another company to hire you at more money.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 17, 2008, 05:59 AM
    Your first step is to take your pay stubs to your payroll or HR dept along with a copy of the contract and explain why you think you have been paid incorrectly. If that doesn't get satisfaction then you will need to go to the South African agency that oversees labor relations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home country salary from US salary [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a L1 visa holder from india and was working in Massachusetts from aug 2005 to dec 2005 as a contractor from my original company in india. I used to receive the US salary from aug 2005 to dec 2005 for which I have the W2. During the same period I also used to receive my indian...

Salary vs Hourly, punching a clock on salary. [ 2 Answers ]

My company put me on salary a few years back. I still have to work overtime and I still have to punch a time card, I just dont get paid for any overtime hours. Also I have not gotten the standard raise that I used to get anymore. I was wondering is this fair practice?

Salary dispute with employeer [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I need some help regarding salary disputes with employeer. I am on H1B and started on the project after initial bench period of 3 months. For those three months, first month, my employer did not paid any thing except $400 for monthly expences. Second and third month he paid me @30K /...

Pay dispute [ 2 Answers ]

Can a single parent earn more if hired for the same job as a non single parent? And if so or not why?

View more questions Search