Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rchapman4697 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 09:26 PM
    $4200 To replace sewer line
    I got a esimate today from a plumbing company to replace the sewer line from the house that goess 100 feet out to the ally. This seems like a pretty inflated price to me. I estimated I can do the job myself for about $200 and plan to do just that. Does this seem like a lot to you.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 09:58 PM
    To me, that price seems to be low. In my area, you would pay at least twice as much.

Sewer pipe replacement is a heavy-manual, unskilled-labor-intense, kind of work. Once the trench is excavated, actual plumbing work takes couple of hours. ABS pipe and fittings for 100' of 4' run will cost you not more than $300.00.

I don't know how you figured $200.00 for the whole job - but - sure, you can do it yourself...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 17, 2008, 05:24 AM
    Milo's correct. Your labor cost will depend upon how deep they have to dig the trench. This is determined by the frost line in your area and the type of soil that you have to dig through.. In the Tampa Bay Area we only have to go down a few feet in sandy soil. Easy digging!
    Back in Wisconsin we had to go down six feet through limestone. Big job!
    When it comes to trenching for sewer and water there is no, "one price fits all". If you think you're getting ripped off then get three estimates and compare.
    If you can do your own work then more power to you. Good luck, Tom
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 05:44 AM
    I mean you can do it yourself, if you own a backhoe or a professional trenching machine, or have days to dig with a shovel and pix.

Also you have to have permits, have it inspected for proper drop and other issues.
    But no around atlanta it would cost a lot more.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Sounds like you are in a city so check with the building department. They will probably say you can not do this job yourself and need to hire a licensed, insured pro. 110' line in clay 4' down ran me $4500 in Illinois

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sinkhole and cost to replace water and sewer line [ 1 Answers ]

I've had a small depression in my front yard since I've moved into a house in upstate NY (leaving location vague to protect the water guy), seven months ago. I had always figured it was from a removed tree, and yesterday, I decided to dig up the grass and toss some dirt into it to get it level. ...

Sewer gas - did I hook up to main sewer line correctly? [ 3 Answers ]

Moved a mobile home in and ran the sewer line to the main line - on some days I smell sewer gas, and I think it's coming from the vents on the house! - I want to know if I should o had put a "P" trap or something in line before hooking up to main sewer line? I have seen other places saying to...

Sewer Line plugged at city line [ 2 Answers ]

Hi~I own an old home and all of a sudden we have plugged sewer drainage! First, the toilet REALLY overflowed and after plunging the toilet, it backflowed into the shower, ugh, nasty! I took the toilet off, snaked (50 feet) into the lines, nothing there, did the same with the shower. Still...

Sewer line? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, We moved here March 2003. 2 yrs ago we had our water main line replaced. It is a metal cap in front of the house to the left. I can't seem to find my sewer cap. Would that be a PVC white round thing somewhere out in front? There are bushes out there. How far apart from each...

Can I replace part of my cast iron sewer stack. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a hopefully not too stupid question about replacing part of my cast iron sewer stack. I have a 50+ year old house with roots in my sewer pipe causing some backup thought the basement drain. I used root killer in the drain and several weeks later had a mat of small roots flush back up...

View more questions Search