Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 08:52 PM
    Do I have to pay more rent?
    So, I'm going to renew my lease soon, and then rent went up $75 (I KNOW, GASP), am I obligated to pay that? Or can I sign my lease under what I've been paying for the past year? I mean, I moved into a $685 apartment, not a $750 one. Are you kidding me? I can't afford to save money to move out paying that. The median price here for a one bedroom is $649, and those are far nicer than my place. How can they legally charge $750? Is there a cap? I'm so MAD about this.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 08:58 PM
    Yeah if you don't want to go along with the rent increase your only choice is to move.
    They can charge whatever they want doesn't mean they will be able to rent it out so maybe you could point out that the nicer places are less so how does he figure he will get that if you are forced to move.
    Vision Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 09:00 PM
    This is so ridiculous, and this is new management. The only interaction I've had with them so far is picking up a package. And I did not like them.

Another question. Can they refuse to let me renew my lease if I put up a argument about the issue?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2008, 09:22 PM
    Yes. They can tell you that if you want to stay, the rent is now X. You can say that you will leave if they won't rent to you for X-Y, but then they can always say "see ya." If they think that they can get 750 for the place, they aren't going to be too likely to budge on the rent. But you can always try negotiating. However, if there are nicer spots going for less, I'd be thinking about moving, if I were you.
    Vision Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 09:26 PM
    That's the thing, I can't afford to move. I've found great deals. But move in costs too much. I don't know why they think they can get that much for the apartments, this place has been full of u-hauls all month. There are at least 10 empty apartments on my side of the complex, and it's only a 60 apartment complex.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2008, 09:35 PM
    Well, I will point out that if they stick to their guns, you will be paying what they want for rent, or you will need to move. Those are really the only two options that there are. They might be willing to let you go month-to-month for a while, if you want to hedge your bets, but everywhere I have done that, they increase the rent even more, because of the uncertainty involved for them. So that may not be a good option, either. You might want to sit down and consider all of your options. Becoming a roomie or moving in with friends or family until you can save up the move-in costs is one option. Looking for specials, and seeing if you can make more money on the job (overtime, a part-time job) are other options.
    Vision Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 09:40 PM
    I've definitely considered all my options. I'll never have roommates again, I don't enjoy being stolen from and 100% of the roommates that I've had stole from me, and all my family lives 350 miles from here. I'm looking for a part time job, but that won't help me this month which is when I need to sign my new lease. There are plenty of move-in specials which I'd be able to afford MINUS pet deposits, but I have my doggy, and I won't get rid of her to pay less rent. She's too important to me. So, with her my options are already kind of limited.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 05:02 AM
    Sadly, I also dealt with this situation when I re-signed my lease. I thought there was a rule somewhere that it could only go up 3 or 4% per year, but with a new company take over, I guess they can do whatever they want.

I just moved to another state and when the apt community was checking my rental history, a previous apt complex that I lived in for over two years simply "didn't have" my records. Turns out that when the new management took over they got rid of all the history prior to the take over... just goes to show that they can do whatever they want!

So sorry... $75 is a HUGE jump. Hopefully you'll find a way to work it out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 17, 2008, 06:12 AM
    Do you not understand what a lease is? It's a contract that states that the landlord will provide housing for a monthly payment for x period. When the term of the lease expires, the parties can renegotiate the terms. Unless you live in a rent controlled apt, then they can raise the rent to whatever they want. You have the option to pay or move. I'm not sure why you would even think you have any other choices.

You can check with your local housing department to see if there are any caps on the amount they can raise the rent, but most don't. Maybe they are doing this deliberately to drive people out so they can go condo or co-op.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 06:16 AM
    Have to spread the rep
    When she said that they were new owners and lots of people have been moving out
    That is exactly what I was thinking they are upping the rent to force people out when their lease is up so they can get in who they want to rent to.
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Jul 17, 2008, 08:01 AM
    Also to add to the others... I noticed you live in Washington State. Maybe the huge increase is due to the rather large heating bill your complex will have this winter. I know that here in NY... landlords are raising rents through the roof in anticipation of the large heating cost the will incur. I own a two family and my heating cost will be close to $5000.00 this winter(was $1800.00), so unfortunately, I had to raise my tenants rent by 15% to help cover the costs.
    Vision Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 08:25 PM
    They don't pay for my heating, that should nothing to do with it, I pay my own heating.
    Vision Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 08:28 PM
    If they want to rent to a higher class of people, then they need to raise the standards and appearance and amenities of the place, not the rent. At least do it in that order. TO be perfectly honest I wouldn't mind paying that much if it was nicer. But this place is ridiculous, if you read some of my other posts about my neighbor you'll know what I'm talking about.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 08:33 PM
    While I understand that the economy is different in different parts of the country, I'm just in awe at your rent.

I pay $1015 a month right now, and my rent goes up at the end of my lease to $1110. Sadly, I can't find anyplace as nice as mine is for under $1300 right now. And yes--I pay my own heat too.

You might check with some of the apartments you're looking at moving into. If you can pay all but the pet deposit, they MAY be willing to let you make that deposit in stages, along with your rent, over a few months time. When we moved here, our moving expenses were so huge, and a pet deposit was going to be approximately $800, they let us pay $200 a month extra for the first 3 months to defray that huge up front cost.

Make sure that you know, too, what your move-out process is in your current apartment. Your lease should tell you. Even though my lease is up in September, I must give 60 days written notice of moving or I will be responsible for the rent for the 60 days anyway.
    Vision Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 08:39 PM
    That's a great idea, SYNN, thanks. I guess I just assume it's always all or nothing, and never ask. What can asking hurt anyway? No, I only have to give 20 days notice.
    Vision Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 09:19 PM
    I'm also wondering if they can change the pet policy. Can they make me move or get rid of my dog?
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 10:42 PM
    Actually, that's an interesting question. Since it's a new lease, I think that they can change the policy to "no pets". However, they can't, I think, pick if they do that. If they go "no pets", then it would apply to everyone when their lease was up. On the other hand, most of the pet policies I've seen already have a clause in them that says that they can force you to remove the pet if it is a nuisance, which I think is loosely defined as "the neighbors complain about it".
    Vision Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 10:44 PM
    I have to get out of here ASAP, THIS PLACE is a nuisance.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 08:08 AM
    The no pet policy has me worried for you CM. They could very well enforce a no pets rule even though you have been living there with the dog. Once the lease is up, all bets are off as the saying goes. I don't think you should stay there either seeing all the wonderful neighbors you have either...

Try talking with the move in special deals people and explain about your doggy and your financial situation right now. If you could pay so much a month for the deposit they just might go for it. When landlords run move in specials they are looking to fill up the empty apts, not keep them empty.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Many places that have new owners have a grandfather clause in it meaning that anybody that lived there prior can keep their pets but anybody new that moves in after the new landlords take over can not have pets.
    It is up to them if they do that or not.

The Grandfather Clause
    A grandfather clause is a clause creating an exemption (such as a law or regulation) based on circumstances that previously existed. The grandfather clause protects renters who have been living in an apartment for a long period. Often, when new people buy the property, the grandfather clause protects previous tenants if the new owners try to make a large number of changes. As the law varies from state to state, it is advisable to check with local authorities to know your rights under the grandfather clause.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent increase on rent control in Jersey City, NJ [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know the what the percentage of rental increase is for a rent control building in Jersey City? Also, can the landlord ask for additional deposit for the rental unit? Thanks... Jay

Eviction for Non Payment of Rent after determination of rent hearing [ 2 Answers ]

A Eviction for Non Payment of Rent is in process and a determination of rent hearing has already been heard in the State of Florida. The Judge order the tenants to pay rent due within 24 hours. If tenants pay the court ordered amount, how much longer do the tenants get to stay in the house?

Does 3 day Pay rent or quit notice include only rent? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My tenant paid $500 to get into my house (California). He was supposed to pay $3300 ($1800 rent + $2000 deposit) by 4th June. This was stated in contract. Instead he paid $1000 on 06/06. He deposited in my bank account. So if I want to give him a 3day pay rent or quit notice, should I...

Pay Mortgage in one state, pay rent in the state I work in. Can I deduct rent paid? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved to NY from California in late July of '07 to start a new job. My wife was originally going to move out with me, but has been unable to gain employement in NY. The new plan is for me to move back to CA in the next couple of months. We own a home in CA for which we pay a mortgage, and I pay...

Prepaid Rent and Unearned Rent [ 2 Answers ]

What is the difference between Prepaid rent & unearned rent? Is this the same. And if in the Trial balance the account name is Unearned rent, then can we put in the liabilities side as Prepaid rent?

View more questions Search