Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 11:43 PM
    Ooh. Just found out, it's hiking up to 6.55 next week.

... even then, it's what... 6.58 in canadian?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 18, 2008, 11:52 PM
    Woo hoo!
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 11:58 PM
    Yep. Whoop... dee... freaking doo.

That's it. I'm out of here. I'm moving to canada.
    Vision Expert

Jul 18, 2008, 11:59 PM
    I like where I live... I wouldn't mind visiting Canada thoguh.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 12:00 AM
    Yeah, I can't believe the rent is so cheap in vancouver, wa...

It's so close to portland too.
    Vision Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 12:03 AM
    Portland isn't too awful bad either... better than what you guys are paying, I cannot believe that. But keep in mind, that I'm talking about a one-bedroom
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 12:04 AM
    ... me too.

A one bedroom without a fireplace.
    Vision Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 12:05 AM
    Yikes!!
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 07:58 AM
    Also, one reason that rents are going up in some places is because of the number of foreclosures. People who lose their house have to live somewhere, so the number of people looking to rent is going up. And when demand goes up, prices go up. Also, if the landlord has an ARM that they need to cover on one of their properties, rent is going to go up.

Keep in mind that renting is business. A landlord would rather keep a good, paying tenant, but they also want to get what the market will bear. I mean, would you turn down a raise at work because you don't want to make things hard on your boss? I don't think so! A landlord is not going to turn down more money from someone else, either.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    because "the man" is against you.

...and...due to inflation, costs, etc.

...and, because...well, if you were an apartment owner...what would you do to benefit the most? You hook them with a low rent for one year, and then raise it the next year...they can't leave....it costs too much to leave. right?

While this may be true in some cases, I'd rather have a steady, paying tenant living on my property than go through the whole verify references, have new people, advertise thing BUT my costs also keep rising and rising and rising.

I don't scalp anyone - and I don't know if this is the case with Mamma's landlord - but as my costs increase I pass those costs along.

I am not a not-for-profit and I'd like to keep it that way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent increase on rent control in Jersey City, NJ [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know the what the percentage of rental increase is for a rent control building in Jersey City? Also, can the landlord ask for additional deposit for the rental unit? Thanks... Jay

Eviction for Non Payment of Rent after determination of rent hearing [ 2 Answers ]

A Eviction for Non Payment of Rent is in process and a determination of rent hearing has already been heard in the State of Florida. The Judge order the tenants to pay rent due within 24 hours. If tenants pay the court ordered amount, how much longer do the tenants get to stay in the house?

Does 3 day Pay rent or quit notice include only rent? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My tenant paid $500 to get into my house (California). He was supposed to pay $3300 ($1800 rent + $2000 deposit) by 4th June. This was stated in contract. Instead he paid $1000 on 06/06. He deposited in my bank account. So if I want to give him a 3day pay rent or quit notice, should I...

Pay Mortgage in one state, pay rent in the state I work in. Can I deduct rent paid? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved to NY from California in late July of '07 to start a new job. My wife was originally going to move out with me, but has been unable to gain employement in NY. The new plan is for me to move back to CA in the next couple of months. We own a home in CA for which we pay a mortgage, and I pay...

Prepaid Rent and Unearned Rent [ 2 Answers ]

What is the difference between Prepaid rent & unearned rent? Is this the same. And if in the Trial balance the account name is Unearned rent, then can we put in the liabilities side as Prepaid rent?

View more questions Search