Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Foxwoods Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 08:02 PM
    What he is entitled to
    Hi my mother inlaw has been divorced for about 23yrs... she has been with her new partner for about 20yrs... she recently passed away. Her will says that the house belongs entirely to her boys. My question, is her partner entitled to half the house although her will says no. Please note that we are canadians from Montreal. An answer asap would really be appreciated.

Thank U
    Foxwookds
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 08:06 PM
    No since they were never married and the will does not include him he is not entitled to anything other than what he can prove is his own property.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 08:09 PM
    Nohelp, not so fast, in Canada, they have rules on common law marriage, not up on them exactly, but he may have a claim if he can prove by law they would be considered legally married.

But in general, no a boyfriend, live in, no matter how many years gets no special rights and would not get anything.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Oh I thought the will would over rule most anything unless he could prove he helped with payments.
    Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Well often while a husband or wife may be able to be wrote out, it has to be addressed, they often have to be left one dollar or something, in some cases, they can not be written out completely . Not sure which is the case, but if the will did not address them at all, and they can prove that common law marriage was valid ( not saying it was) but they may have grounds to contest the will.
    This is of course why we have attorneys, if it was simple and black and white, we would not need them.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Yeah the one dollar idea is always the best to make your wishes known for sure.
    Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 08:33 PM
    Of course be real smart and spend it all, don't have to worry about the banks closing, since you just owe them anyway. Don't have to worry about someone stealing it, you don't have it. And don't have to worry about what to leave, it is just bills anyway.
    Course I always let them think there is a large life insurance policy, that way they all show up for funeral, the junk in house gets cleaned out when they look for the policy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much is my baby entitled to? [ 4 Answers ]

I gave birth to a baby nearly 4 weeks ago and me and her father split up while I was pregnant. He has agreed to pay his way for her and he sees our baby at least 2 days a week. I was just wondering, what percentage of his wages should be going towards the baby?Having a baby is very expensive and I...

If she's with him, what am I entitled to? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question concerning my separation and divorce proceedings. In march of 2007 my wife asked that I move out of our apartment, which I did under the impression that she needed a break and wanted some time to herself. Within 30 days I received a phone call from her asked that I remove...

What documentation of a debt am I entitled to? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a defendant in a small claims case. It is for a credit card that they say I owe a about $1,000 - I'm not sure this is valid. The only proof of the debt they have shown me so far is a printout with my name on it, account number and a running total. Can I ask for the original signed contract,...

Am I entitled to rent? [ 11 Answers ]

I had a house I co-owned with a friend. I bought his half and the house is now in my name only and my wife and I are living there. My friend and I had agreed that we would get an appraisal and I would then pay him an amount equal to half the equity. He would then sign a quit claim deed, signing the...

View more questions Search