Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mofaka Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 06:34 PM
    2005 Pontiac Sunfire. Speedometer sticking
    I have a 2005 Sunfire and the speedometer is sticking. However it only happens once it gets hot outside. Usually it stays stuck at 0mph. Although sometimes it will move a little and end up getting stuck in random places. Once the weather cools down the problem goes away. What could be causing the problem? I've heard everything from clusters to cables and would like to have a better idea before I start taking things apart. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mofaka
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 08:28 PM
    The problem is internal to the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC).
    The tiny servo motors that drive the speedometer display are failing and the entire cluster will need to be sent to a shop certified in speedometer repair.
    Then you can have the cluster reinstalled and the speedometer will operate like it's designed to.
    Contact your local dealer to see if this problem is chronic and ask if they have a special policy adjustment for vehicles out of their base factory warranty. It never hurts to ask.
    Mofaka Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 08:21 AM
    I'll do that. Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

Mofaka
    mythikal Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2010, 07:25 PM
    I have the same problem, About how much does this cost
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 24, 2010, 08:13 AM

To get accurate pricing, you need to call around and ask.
    Some of the things you need to ask:
    -Cost for the cluster?
    -Who will remove and replace the cluster?
    -Warranty, if any?
    -Turn around time? How long will this take?

Jan 24, 2010, 11:52 AM
    Ok thanks a lot. I am thinking of just going to the dealer I bought my car at, Seems to me that would be my best bet. Thanks again. Oh and if I decided to replace it myself would there be any way you could help me with some pictures maybe of how to install it. Otherwords lol how to get the dash out and so on?
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 24, 2010, 01:15 PM

Personally, I would start at the dealer. They will be the most familiar with your vehicle. Once the replacment cluster is in place, they can perform software updates and ensure the car "sees" the cluster properly and, if necessary, integrate all the systems and clear trouble codes.

This really isn't an easy task. There are many hidden fastening, some clips, and some screws here and there. Everything that has to be removed to service the cluster, has to come off exactly in a particular order, and once the new cluster is installed it has to be reinstalled in exactly the reverse order. Right down to the last clip. Not the easiest for the DIYer.

Now, there is a Technical Service Bulliten (TSB) about your cluster, Bulletin No.: 04-08-49-015A but it is for noise.
    Your car is listed but your local dealer will be the final authority on whether it's still eligible. That bulletin primarily addresses noise that seems to originate from the cluster, so if you've heard noises from this cluster, make certain you mention that to them when you speak to them. They may insist that's normal noise, but you should insist that it isn't normal and would prefer replacement. That is, if there was any noise.

Jan 24, 2010, 05:16 PM
    So the tsb is this the same thing as a recall? And where could I find this myself so when I go to the dealer I can present it to them? There was a noise for a while before the gagues actually started messing up, thanks a lot for your help your very helpful.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 08:49 AM

As I've stated, the dealer is the final authority on whether it's covered or not.
    You need to go to your local dealer and explain the noise and the other problems and they will check to see if that TSB applies to your case.

Here is an excerpt from that TSB:
    "Correction

For vehicles built or clusters remanufactured on or after March 1, 2005, DO NOT exchange the IPC for a noise only concern. As of March 1, 2005, all stepper motor improvements are in place and noise from the cluster is within the acceptable performance. Any remaining noise from the IPC is inherent to the system design and replacing the cluster for just a noise concern will more than likely result in a similar noise. Please inform the customer that the IPC is performing within the acceptable guideline. If after the customer has been informed and still insist to replace the cluster, then the cluster should be replaced.

For vehicles built or clusters remanufactured prior to March 1, 2005, clusters should be replaced for noise concern.

Clusters should continue to be replaced for any concern affecting the functionality of the IPC.
    "

A Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) is not the same as a recall.
    Again, take your car to the dealer so they can determine if there's any coverage.

Feb 2, 2010, 03:53 PM
    How do I relieve fuel pressure in my 2005 pontiac sunfire before replacing the fuel filter?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2010, 06:20 PM

mythikal, I would remove the fuel pump fuse, in the under hood fuse box, start the car, and wait for the engine to stumble. Consult your Owner's Manual for the fuse's location. Afterwards, replace the fuel filter and fuse. Start the car and see if the Check Engine Light comes on. If it does, use a code reader to clear the code.

Feb 3, 2010, 01:16 AM
    I can't do that, it will not even fire up. Which is why I am changing the filter to begin with. I have had the car for 3 years and think that it may be clogged. I have had a michanic come out and look at it and he said its getting no fuel through the line. So before I pay 250.00 for a new fuel pump for my car I want to eliminate the chance that the filter may be clogged.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2010, 07:59 AM

Since it doesn't start, I would just remove the gas cap and then change the fuel filter. Here is a link that may help you troubleshoot what's wrong:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post2123675

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2004 Sunfire speedometer not working [ 13 Answers ]

I have a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire, and this morning the speedometer stopped working properly. When I am completely stopped it now reads 25mph. All other gauges work fine. For the past 2 weeks the needle on the speedometer has been sticking. For example if I was going 60 and accelerated to 70 instead of...

Growling noise 2005 sunfire [ 1 Answers ]

Start to get a grawling noise left side of car at about 45 miles per hr. Replace wheel bearing ane brakes and rotar, still does it.

Sticking it out for the kids. [ 11 Answers ]

What is everyone's thoughts on this topic. My wife and I have been married for almost a year and a half. We have two beautiful children (9 months and 5 years) that we both love more than anything. The word divorce has been coming up a lot due to her not being able to get past things I did prior...

1993 Asuna Sunfire [ 3 Answers ]

I am told I need a belt tensioner on my Asuna... I see there are two differnet types available.. does anyone know which is the correct one ( part number etc)

Sticking to NC [ 1 Answers ]

I broke up with my boyfriend about three weeks ago and haven't spoken to him since. I broke it off with him because I was really unhappy with the state of the relationship (even though most of our relationship was really good) and he didn't know what he wanted. He wanted me to wait while he thought...

View more questions Search