Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newhrus Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 04:16 PM
    is this correct?
    I am pretty sure my answer was right but the online test said that it is wrong.

The amount of energy stored in a plant through photosynthesis could be estimated best by

A) taking the mass of the plant before and after

B) taking the mass of the water consumed by the plant

C) determining the amount of carbon dioxide consumed

D) determining the amount of oxygen produced.

Incorrect. Your answer=D, Correct answer=A

remember for that every time an electron passes through the electron transport chain the
    amount of atp produced is 32 units and the amount of oxygen produced is one unit so if
    you determine the amount of oxygen produced you should be able to tell how much
    energy is produced right?
    bounddragon Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 03:02 AM
    I think d is wrong because it would be very difficult to calculate the amount of oxygen produced and there is a chance that the oxygen could react before it is tested. Also how could you ensure you would be testing in an environment the would be free of all oxygen other then that produced in the reaction.
    My bio teacher once told me "muliple choice is not about the one right answer and the 3 wrong but the answer that is most correct". A is the most correct because both the byproducts of photosynthesis (water and oxygen) are relseased as gases so the only mass left would be the glucose (energy) so it would be the weight diference between the two plant measurements.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2008, 10:17 AM
    I agree with bounddragon, though the question itself is a bit ambiguous. It says 'estimate', so, A, C and D are relatively acceptable. But since the best estimation is required, it is easier to carry out experiment in A. Gases are pretty difficult to deal with, just think about how you would collect the oxygen, like you suggested. Say you succeeded in collecting all oxygen released, then, what about the carbon dioxide the plant needs? Do you realise what I mean?
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2008, 08:28 AM
    It's definitely not B.
    C could work since photosynthesis is the fixing of carbon. But measuring how much carbon was fixed is the question. "Consumed" is too vague. If they just mean how much CO2 went into the stomata, then C is wrong. Same argument for oxygen.

A would be correct, I think, IF you specify dry mass. If you include gain in water it's wrong. And of course there's no way to take the dry weight of a plant and then have it photosynthesize because you've killed it. You'd have to have hundreds of plants and take the dry weight of a random sample of them before and after. The answer as written does NOT specify dry weight and so is technically wrong.

( It's also not strictly true that photosynthesis generates 32 ATP molecules. It depends on the situation. It can vary and the numbers aren't round, strangely. But most teachers and textbooks avoid that topic!)

I think it's a dumb, badly written question if that's any comfort.
    bounddragon Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 09:21 AM
    I think the question is stupid too, it would be better if it was a short answer and not a multiple choice, I think the question does not have a strickly right answer but is designed to test the understanding of the individual
    newhrus Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Thank you
    lfcrule94 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2008, 09:04 AM
    I personally think that the test is correct and unfortunately you are wrong. This is because the amount of oxygen produced is not the amount of energy that the plant has aquirred through photosynthesis - instead it is just a fraction of that energy. Before the plant produces oxygen it also needs to use the energy from photosynthesis to perform growth and respiration etc.
    Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Matching up the correct capacitor with the correct condenser fan motor? [ 4 Answers ]

How crucial is it to match the right capacitor to the right condenser fan motor? If you have the wrong capacitor, can this cause the motor to stop after running for a while, say 20 or 40 minutes? It would start up again, but would allways stop. The specs for the motor are: Emerson E-line, model no...

Correct This [ 1 Answers ]

A prepayment was made in October but the invoice was not issued until November. How do you correct this?

If the correct answer is May cgs, $15,500 how is the answer correct need to see work [ 1 Answers ]

P23-A The budget committee of Vinning office supply Co. Has assembled the following data. As the business manager, you must prepare the budgeted income statements for May and Jun 2006. A. Sales in April were $42,100.. You forecast that monthly sales will increase 2.0% in May and 2.4% in June.

View more questions Search