Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needyme Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 03:52 PM
    12amp Homelite Electric Lawn Mower
    :confused: I was "happily" cutting my grass when it just stopped. I heard a sound (maybe a belt slipping if that exists) as it wound down to nothing. I have checked the cord, tried another cord, checked the circuit breaker and spun the blade around. When I spin the blade around I hear a clicking sound.

Any suggestions? Is it worth having it repaired? Can I repair it myself?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Brushes?
    needyme Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by needyme
    :confused: I was "happily" cutting my grass when it just stopped. I heard a sound (maybe a belt slipping if that exists) as it wound down to nothing. I have checked the cord, tried another cord, checked the circuit breaker and spun the blade around. When I spin the blade around I hear a clicking sound.

Any suggestions? Is it worth having it repaired? Can I repair it myself?
    I'm not sure I understand... brushes?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 06:42 PM
    Look at "carbon brushes" here: Apart4u Limited Lawn Mower Spares & Accessories

I "suspect" that there may be two screwdriver like things 180 degrees apart at one end of the lawn mower. These are the brush ports. These provide power to the commutator. The scratching you are hearing might be the commutator against the spring, because the carbon is worn.

Yes, you could damage the commutator and need a new armature.

See if your lawn mower contains brushes by locating the ports and inspecting.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Is it worth having it repaired?
    I don't know how much did it cost?
    Can I repair it myself?
    I don't know, how handy are you? Tear it a part and find out. If you can't fix it you will still learn something.

When I spin the blade around I hear a clicking sound.
    That might indicate a mechanical problem, as opposed to an electrical problem, and repairable.

When plugged in and turned on, do you feel any vibration that would indicate that the motor is turning?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 11:02 PM
    Check the motor, there's not much that can go wrong with them, usually brushes. If you hit something, you could have broken the shaft, highly unlikely, but I am suspecting this to be the case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MTD Electric Lawn Mower Switch wiring? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a MTD Model # 185-387-129 electric lawn mower... The wires going from the power switch to the motor became unattached. The switch has 6 terminals, two rows of three. A black wire that is attached to the external socket is attached to the top? Left terminal. The wire that...

Broken electric lawn mower belt [ 9 Answers ]

I have an old Craftsman electric mower. I do not know model number, but it is 12 amp and 18 inch deck (with 2 blades not 1). It is a push mower, not self-propelled and it is side discharge. I snapped a belt (which drives one of the blades) and cannot get a replacement. The belt has the...

Snapper Riding Lawn mower electric start issue [ 1 Answers ]

I have a snapper riding lawn mower. I misplace the key 2 years ago, disconnected the electric start on it and have pull started it. I want to now use the electric start again. I got a new key, cleaned the plugs and plugged them back together. It will not start with the electric start. I have...

Craftsman 20.0 electric start 42 inch automatic lawn tractor mower clutch [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Craftsman 20.0 hp electric start 42" mower automatic lawn tractor Model 917.270940 and it appears the cable that allows you to engage the blades has broken. How do you either fix this problem or do we need to purchase a new cable. If we need a new cable how is it installed... I need...

View more questions Search