Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xodiana Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 01:57 PM
    Payback Period
    I had these questions for homework, I have already worked them but I don't understand how my answer is wrong.

Exhibit 8-1
    The cash flows associated with an investment project are as follows:
    Cash Flows
    Initial Outflow -$70,000
    Year 1 $20,000
    Year 2 $30,000
    Year 3 $30,000
    Year 4 $30,000

NARREND
    Refer to Exhibit 8-1. What's the payback period of the project? If a firm's cutoff payback period is 3 years, should it accept the project?

When I worked it I got 2.7 years for the project & you would accept it, however my answer appendix is saying that the correct answer is 3.6 years accept the project.

I worked it by using the first full 2 years which gives you 50,000 then you only need 20,000 out of the 30,000 from year 3 so when you divide 20,000/30,000 then you get .667 and add that to the full 2 years to get 2.7 years. If you could just please tell me where I made a mistake.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 02:49 PM
    I think your answer is correct and the book is wrong.
    wingrun Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

Jul 17, 2008, 09:03 PM
    you are correct and the book answer is incorrect. The only reason I would say they have 3.5 years is probably they used a discount rate and discounted the cash flows for each year to the present. The author might have accidentally tried to do it that way forgetting the problem is asking for Payback and not net present value
    Criado Posts: 142, Reputation: 15

Jul 17, 2008, 09:51 PM
    One hint that the book is wrong is that the it's answer exceeds the 3 year payback cutoff period and yet it wants to accept the project.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Payback period of investment [ 1 Answers ]

A company paid 50,000 cash for a capital investment. The company expects the investment to generate net cash inflows of 8,400 per year. What is the payback period of this investment? I said about 6years - is that correct?

Payback period [ 1 Answers ]

An investment project provides cash flows of $860 per year for six years. What is the payback period if the initial cost is $3500? What is the payback period if the initial cost is $5000? What if it is $7500? Thanks

The management of Kitchen Shop is thinking of buying a new drill press to aid in adapting parts for different machines. The press is expected to save Kitchen Shop $8,000 per year in costs. However, Kitchen Shop has an old punch machine that isn't worth anything on the market and that will probably...

Dino Corporation is trying to decide which of the five investment opportunities it should undertake. The company’s cost of capital is 16%. Owing to a cash shortage, the company has a policy that it will not undertake any investment unless it has a payback period of less than three years. The...

View more questions Search