Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    agireland Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jul 16, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Is this fair?! Or even legal?
    I was fired today and here is why. I work(d) 7-3:30 M-F. We got a paid break from 930-945 and an unpaid lunch from 12-1230. Three times over the past two weeks (the third time being today) I have gotten hungry around 130 and gotten a cup of Ramen noodle soup out of the break room to snack on while I worked. We are allowed to have food and drink in the work area. I never stopped working while I snacked, just a forkful here and there over the course of twenty minutes for so WHILE I WAS WORKING. Nothing was ever said about it. So at quitting time today, my supervisor calls me into his office and informs me that they are letting me go for eating on the clock. I asked him why nothing was said before now if it was a problem and he had no answer for me, just had me fill out my time card and showed me the door. How is that right? I am the kind of guy who, if you tell me one time that there is a problem, it doesn't happen again. I have been there six weeks now and only one time has something been said to me and that was a totally unrelated issue and it never happened again. He claimed it was out of his hands and was the owners decision. Anyway, I was working for them through a temp agency on a temp to permanent hire basis. They called the temp service and terminated my contract. So now I am out of work until the temp agency find me something else and I don't think I can get unemployment because the temp agency was the one writing my checks and they haven't fired me. I have a girlfriend and two kids so what the heck am I supposed to do?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Legally they are allowed to let you go. Temporary agencies for the most part are at will employees which means they can let you go because they decided they didn't like the color of your hair.
    I hope you explained to the temporary agency.
    Sounds to me like they could say other reasons they were not happy with you
    One incident of any one thing is rarely why a company lets a worker go.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 02:22 PM
    If this was a temporary assignment, you apparently displeased them for whatever reason - that's why they hired a temporary from a temporary agency. You may be able to collect unemployment benefits. You should contact the unemployment office and discuss this with them. The temp agency didn't "fire" you as the job was temporary.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 02:26 PM
    Generally even with working for the temporary agency you may be able to collect unemployment if you meet the requirements.
    They are generally stuff like you were employed 13 weeks out of the last so many months.
    You are actively looking for work.
    agireland Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jul 16, 2008, 04:43 PM
    NoHelp4U,
    The unrelated incident that I mentioned involved the operation of a forklift. My superviser had told me on numerous occasions to operate the lift even though I was not certified by the company to operate it and he knew it. As I moved a pallet on day, I stuck the forks in too far and poked a hole in the exposed insulation. He ripped me a new one for doing so, even though he had told me that I could use it if I needed to. I never looked twice at the forklife after that and even refused to use it twice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Yep, they can stop the use of your ( fire) by the temp agency anytime they want for any or no reason as long as it was not for a reason that is protected. Esp with temp agency.

If you would otherwise qualify, you can file for unemployment and I would , the worst that can happen is they deny it.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Yes, I'll go along with Fr Chuck on this one... you didn't walk out of your own accord you were basically sacked, so you should be OK with unemployment claim.

I think it's only if you leave voluntarily they make you wait so many weeks
    achampio21 Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Jul 18, 2008, 11:12 AM
    I agree with Fr_Chuck also, but I will add that some unemployment agencies will tell you that you can't qualify if you were terminated for a "just cause" reason. Which means they have valid "proof" that they gave you a verbal and written warning prior to your termination. (ie 3 strikes) but like Chuck said it can't hurt to try. ;)
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 11:17 AM
    I do not see where he was given any verbal warning and I always heard that the jobs that temporary agencies send you to are allowed to call the temp agency and say they do not want you back for whatever reason whatsoever.
    I think it is basically your word against theirs and they do not even have to have a reason.
    Worth trying to get some unemployment but I doubt it will happen.
    achampio21 Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Jul 18, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Yeah, figuring the verbal warning about forklift would count. And I don't know about temp agencies and their rules. But was just commenting on unemployment rules that I have experienced. But like you said earlier, Op will have to see if they qualify.
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Jul 18, 2008, 11:34 AM
    I won my unemployment case when I was let go "just cause" I'd only been told something once and it was unrelated, and I didn't something else and they fired me. It took a few weeks (8) but I got my unemployment benefits finally. So it doesn't hurt to try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal status (student visa) becoming legal resident? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a legal resident green card holder and have been so for 28 years. I met someone and fell in love and got married. The problem is she is here on a student visa. I would like to know if it is possible for her to obtain legal obtain status. There are a few circumstances that I feel that may...

Giving up legal right to pursue legal actions [ 8 Answers ]

I want to up all legal right to pursue legal action against my male partner before I give birth to my unborn child. How do I go about doing that? I mean I want it in written form that I give up the right to sue him for any type of child support or any type of care to my child. Also I don't want to...

Is It Really Fair? If so, to Who? [ 72 Answers ]

http://images.43things.com/entry/278835pw91.jpg This question is something that many of our young girls of today must ask themselves. It is a heart-wrenching question for any who contemplate it. Some really don’t know what to do because of the lack of maturity that only comes from experience...

Being fair to my dog [ 11 Answers ]

Hi I'm thinking of getting a labrador retriever, but I work 12 hour days ,4 on 4 off. I don't know if that's fair to the dog, just being by it's self, or would two be better.When I am at home I would certainly have time for two. Thanks

What's fair [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together 6 years. We have had our ups and downs and have decided we want to be together. During a break up he had a one night stand that produced another child. We both have a child from a previous marriage and now one together. He pays child support for his daughter...

View more questions Search