Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XHIONZMOM Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Child Support Award
    Is it true that if you take a father to court for child support in New York and he says he doesn't have a job and doesn't collect unemployment that he will only have to pay $25 a month in support?
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Jul 16, 2008, 10:13 AM
    If he doesn't have a job, how can he live? Also if there is no income then they really can't pay you either; however if that is the case then I believe that the 'base' support will will be given and then it adds up and when he gets a job it will be collected then. I pretty sure the 'base' support is $50 in NY, not $25.

Remember if you never go to court and get an order he won't owe anything and after he gets a job then you can go back and it will be adjusted.

Jul 16, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Oh Ok So Its $50... Lol - Is That A Week Or Month?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2008, 10:50 AM
    In my state and I believe all states have this program that if the ncp does not have a job for a certain period they have to go around to all the local "for hire" agencies and fill out an application and then the agency will sign his court paper showing that he did apply. But in the mean time yes he will only be ordered to pay the minimum.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 16, 2008, 10:50 AM
    DivorceNet - New York Child Support Standards Act - Child Support Worksheet

Scroll down to the bottom of the worksheet for the minimums.

Jul 16, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    DivorceNet - New York Child Support Standards Act - Child Support Worksheet

Scroll down to the bottom of the worksheet for the minimums.
    THANK YA SCOTT - U DA MAN... :D
    looseendz Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stinawords
    In my state and I believe all states have this program that if the ncp does not have a job for a certain period of time they have to go around to all the local "for hire" agencies and fill out an application and then the agency will sign his court paper showing that he did apply. But in the mean time yes he will only be ordered to pay the minimum.

Massachusetts does that with the applications
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by XHIONZMOM
    Oh Ok So Its $50... Lol - Is That A Week Or Month?

It is $50 a month - I don't think it's been changed. Of course, if he's not working and not paying it doesn't really matter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Continued child support when child quits school [ 9 Answers ]

I live in New York & this is my question... Does one have to continue paying support when the child quits school at 17? His mother will not enforce any rules on the child & will not make the child work or at least get his GED. Mother & father were never married, court ordered support payments,...

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Legal age in Indiana to stop child support for a child in college [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know when I can legally stop paying support on my step son who is going to be 22 and is still in college

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search