Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shw3nn Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jul 16, 2008, 08:03 AM
    The Two Party System
    If you have a child, let's say it's a little girl. She is getting to the age where she is too young to make decisions for herself but she is wanting to exercise her individuality. You have a wedding to go to. If you let her choose what she wants to wear, she'll most likely insist on her Powder Puff Girls costume.

So, you buy two dresses. Both are nice, wedding appropriate attire. One is a red, satin dress. The other is a frilly, blue dress. You show them to your daughter.

"Honey, I have noticed that you are becoming a lady. You are a big girl now and so you get to decide what you will wear to the wedding. You can choose the red dress or you can choose the blue dress and it is entirely up to you."

This way, she'll feel like she has control because she is making decisions. She likely won't realize that the decisions she gets to make are very trivial and you are making the really important choices.

This, to me, is our two party political system in a nutshell.

Thoughts?
    pdaher Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 12:05 PM
    I think I might take her shopping and help her pick out the dress that she would like to wear to the wedding. Giving her only two choices might not help if she doesn't like either of them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 17, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Yes, but instead of two pretty party dresses, you get the choice of two halloween costumes
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 05:17 AM
    But in this case the two dresses are the same pale pastel shade.
    Trandy Posts: 123, Reputation: 9

Aug 15, 2008, 10:34 PM
    I don't think the first reply has read the entire question.
    I strongly agree.
    The disagreement with Chuck about taking her to the right department and helping her make good choices??
    What would that be watching the news, and voting in the primaries??
    None of the choices are good!
    It's an entire department full of one red dress, and one blue!

I don't think you get the way our elections are "rigged"

You can either choose the blue dress, or the red dress... the other dresses are not even invited to the debate.:rolleyes:
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 01:36 AM
    I'm thoroughly Simpson-ized, and have to decide which candidate is Kang and which Kodos each election as the whole affair is completely depressing if you take it seriously.
    NICKNAME Posts: 27, Reputation: 3

Aug 17, 2008, 04:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaher
    I think I might take her shopping and help her pick out the dress that she would like to wear to the wedding. Giving her only two choices might not help if she doesn't like either of them.
    I Agree :)

Aug 21, 2008, 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NICKNAME
    I Agree :)
    Am I confused or..

If this is some sort of deeeeep thinking going on here, please explain.

Name:  overhead.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  4.6 KB... or yours???
    NICKNAME Posts: 27, Reputation: 3

Aug 23, 2008, 11:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Trandy
    Am I confused or..

If this is some sort of deeeeep thinking going on here, please explain.

Name:  overhead.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  4.6 KB... or yours???
    It`s not about deep thinking, but you have to take her with you when you go shopping, who told you she wants red OR blue only :confused: ? Maybe she wants black or white ! ;)

You can choose the red dress or you can choose the blue dress and it is entirely up to you
    And this is the first step of dealing with yor new beautiful lady :)

Good luck

Aug 30, 2008, 05:14 PM
    We really need an over yer head emoticon here...

A neat animated one where an airplane comes in and just barely grazes the smilies scalp!:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting forced hot air system to baseboard heating system [ 1 Answers ]

When considering converting from forced hot air to baseboard heat, is it possible to just add piping / water boiler / baseboards and do nothing with the forced hot air system (use it for AC) ?

Transferring Brinks Alarm System to Non-Monitored System [ 5 Answers ]

I understand that when you cancel your Brinks-monitored security system that they come and remove their equipment (which you apparently don't own) or you can buy all their equipment for $500. The equipment removal exposes unpainted walls and previously-covered holes. Is it possible to install a...

Has the Democratic Party always been the cry-baby Party? [ 21 Answers ]

This is an honest question and I’m looking for an honest answer. Since I can remember Democrats talk about what a lousy country this is and constantly complain about the “unfairness” of life, the “evils” of big business, the never-shrinking scourge of racism and homophobia, and the inevitable...

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

View more questions Search