Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcjamie80 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Smelly drain
    I have a very stinky drain in my basement, the smell just started last night any basement on to get rid of the fowel smell?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Is it a sewer gas smell or a rotting stench? What kind of drain, floor, sink, shower, etc...

Jul 16, 2008, 08:15 AM
    It is a floor drain next to my water heater, and it a I am not sure the differece between the two smell, it just started last night. I guess it smell like rotting stench
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 16, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mcjamie80
    It is a floor drain next to my water heater, and it a I am not sure the differece between the two smell, it just started last night. I guess it smell like rotting stench
    Hey Jaimie,
    Sounds like the water seal evaporated out of the trap and now you have sewer gas escaping. Simple repair! Pour a half gallon of water down to replenish the seal,** or** If the floor drain won't be used pour mineral oil, anti freeze or motor oil down the trap so it can't evaporate away. Good luck, Tom

Jul 16, 2008, 11:11 AM
    [QUOTE=speedball1]Hey Jaimie,
    Sounds like the water seal evaporated out of the trap and now you have sewer gas escaping. Simple repair! Pour a half gallon of water down to replenish the seal,** or** If the floor drain won't be used pour mineral oil, anti freeze or motor oil down the trap so it can't evaporate away. Good luck, Tom[/QUO

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smelly Shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

Please recommend how to stop the smell coming from the shower stall drain. The shower is located on the second floor. I have poured bleach down it and let it sit for about 30 minutes but the smell returns. I have read to use oxygenated bleach but I am not sure if this would work any better. ...

Smelly drain in the tub [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a condo and a bathroom upstairs. In the recent couple of months I have been trying to find out where a gas smell from my tub's shower drain is coming from. I have checked the trap and it's clean, I have checked under the tub (I have two access panels that pull off) and found no leaks...

Smelly Drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting a sewer smell from the floor drain in the basement. There is a backdraft from the drain. I can feel a not so pleasant breeze. I have tried pouring water down the other floor drains and this particular drain is used every day. I tried pouring a few pails of water down the vent on the...

Smelly sink drain [ 3 Answers ]

I tried the method of using bleach and hot water as directed but after three applications there is still a faint odor. Any other suggestions?

Smelly sink drain [ 4 Answers ]

Our bathroom sink has been giving off a bad smell for over a week. It smells more like dirt, not like sewage. We've cleaned it out in numerous ways and now the water drains fine. However, vinegar & baking soda (repeated treatments) and salt & a pot of boiling water, have not helped to get rid of...

View more questions Search