Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    A doubtful Brit Posts: 16, Reputation: 5

Apr 1, 2006, 02:59 PM
    Atlantis
    I have read some fascinating stuff about the lost city of Atlantis.
    And wondered what other people thought on the subject.

Thousand of years ago, it is believed that the gap between Gibralter, southern Spain, and the north coast of Africa was joint by land. This being the mouth of the Mediterranean sea. If this gap was closed by land, it is quite possible that there was no Mediterranean sea and that it was just a huge dry valley. In the valley, up the other end, south of which is now Greece and north of Egypt, was the incredible civilization of Atlantis. I have read that the dates of the supposed great flood that is written in the bible, coinside with the dissapearence of Atlantis, give or take a thousand years. Which in the grand scheme of things isn't much.

Suppose, the land between spain and Africa some how collapse, be it through earthquake or storm, and the Atlantic ocean spilled into the valley of the Med. It certainly would have washed away Atlantis with no sign of existence. And in that day and age, would have felt that the whole world was being flooded. Remember, nothing was known of the existence of America or Australia at the time.
    I also think that it was a slow process, and that the ocean didn't ruch in unexpectideley. Maybe the citizens of Atlantis new it was coming and had a few days to evacuate. If you do some research into Atlantis, you may find, as I did, that many cultures all over the world have stories of distant ancestors which came from a magical place, all with a similar name. Atla, Amus, Alanas. Weird ha. Look into it, I'm not fibbing.
    I also think, that if Atlantis was situated in that particular area of what is now the Med, it would have been just north of Egypt. I think that the ancient Egyptians could well have started from people of Atlantis. That is how they had supreme technology, for that time, to build the Pyramids.

What do you think?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2006, 06:02 PM
    Funny coincidence, I just finished Ian Wilson's Before the Flood.

This book is a historical and archaeological investigation of the people of the Black Sea area of before the time that the land between the Sea of Marmara and the Black Sea broke through to become the Bosporus Strait... which happened 7000 years ago. This caused a flood of the whole area that, because of the incredible difference between the level of the Med and the Black Sea, rose to it's current depth at the rate of 5-6 inches a day... and these people were very advanced!

In 2000 Robert Ballard found a Mesolithic settlement under 95 meters of water in the Black Sea.

I predict that the Black Sea area will gain popularity for seekers of not only Atlantis, but also of the event that is behind the many ancient flood stories (Gilgamesh Epic, Genesis, etc).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search