Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    help04 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Credit judgement
    Hi, I had a credit card before I got married and went into collections. Now I have a judgement against me. Can they garnish my husbands wages and assets? We have a home and bank accounts in his name only.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 08:03 PM
    I would be surprised if the creditor could attach either your husband's wages, bank account(s), or home.
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jul 16, 2008, 05:37 AM
    I would keep everything separated, they can't touch his wages, his accounts or his house but the shared bank accounts is a different story, also they could go after the house if your name is on the dees.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 05:53 AM
    They can not get his accounts unless they can prove you are putting YOUR money into his account to hide it. So if you have your own income they can come after it where they can find it and prove it went.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 16, 2008, 06:49 AM
    They can only attach assets that you are listed as an owner of.

Why haven't you tried to work out a repayment plan?
    help04 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 04:02 PM
    I had a payment plan out worked but they sent the cashiers check back to me saying they received the payment late. All the payments that I sent went towards all the fees.The balanced that I owed before the judgement was $5000 now its over $9000. They already froze my checking account and because I am the trustee for my children's accounts they also put a lien on their accounts. I tried to call them and asked why they returned the check and they said they received the payment a couple of days late so the agreement was cancelled. I asked if I can do anything they said it was too late.

Jul 17, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Yeah, it use to happen, sounds like typical junk debt buyer stuff, you try your best to pay them even thoug they never lent you any money , they see it is easy, they start to play nasty and try o squeeze your last drop. Capital one does that too.

I don't know what can you do at this point besides look for any defect in their lawsuit and file a motion to vacate the judgment.

Carl.-
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCleaner
    yeah, it use to happen, sounds like typical junk debt buyer stuff, you try your best to pay them even thoug they never lent you any money , they see it is easy, they start to play nasty and try o squeeze your last drop. Capital one does that too.

I don't know what can you do at this point besides look for any defect in their lawsuit and file a motion to vacate the judgment.

Carl.-

The only way to get this set aside is for non service - an error/defect comes later when it's refiled and there's a defense.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 06:11 PM
    Comments on this post
    TheCleaner disagrees: That's what you think, not necesarilly real

No, that's what the law is. If what I have posted is legally incorrect - which you appear to think it is - then why don't you post the section you are relying upon, the part where you can get a Judgment set aside for a defect (other than bad service), when "you" don't appear and it's taken by default. It is "necesarilly" real - and correct. What defect are you suggesting OP look for - ?

And this is a revenge "reddie" - how old are you?

Jul 17, 2008, 06:19 PM
    Ways to vacate

- No service

- Unable to appear in court (Be creative, Give some good excuse you can prove)

- Amount excede usura limits (Check state laws, you can get them here almost every time, after the judgment is vacated you hit them with a validation request before they re-file)

- Unable to respond summons (Good excuse)

- Response filed but judgment granted anyway wihout hearing (Happen too often)

- you requested validation, they did not validate but filed suit (Happen also too often)

Mr. law enforcement, I'd apreciatte it if you quit chasing me all over the board only to desagree with ever word I say, I'm getting tired of it. How old are you?

Carl.-

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Judgement [ 6 Answers ]

I have a judgement for 1200. How do you recommend settling this and getting this judgement off my record. I don't own anything.

Credit judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a law office threatening to file a lien on any assets we have because of a furniture deferred payment account that my husband had before we got married. I tried to settle with them and they agreed, then changed the terms of the settlement. Question: Can they garnish our check or place a...

What's a credit judgement? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm being sued by a credit card company, even though I am currently unemployed. They said they would put a judgement against me that would last 20 years.. what exactly does that mean? Is that worst then filing for bankruptcy? What can I do when I go to court?

Judgement credit [ 3 Answers ]

I was never seved court papers or asked to appear. How do they get a judgement against you. And is that legal?

Credit Judgement [ 1 Answers ]

Can creditors dip into your checking or savings account?

View more questions Search