Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rkison Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Home electrical "updated"
    My daughter recently purchased a house built in '60. The house was inspected and a few minor discrepancies were found and corrected. The insurer wanted to know if the electrical had been "updated". What does "updated" mean?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 03:03 PM
    This typically means a new service had been installed, the original most likely being either a 60 or 100 amp , depending on the age, and replacing fuses with circuit breakers.

Insurance carriers usually frown on older smaller service ratings, and fuses. Those carriers that I inspected for always required 60 amp services and fuses to be "upgraded".

I suggest that before any layperson answers these types of questions that a qualified person inspect the system and offer the proper answers, and only answer the specific written questions put forth by the insurance carrier.

Replying without professional advice can be troublesome.
    rkison Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rkison
    My daughter recently purchased a house built in '60. The house was inspected and a few minor discrepancies were found and corrected. The insurer wanted to know if the electrical had been "updated". What does "updated" mean?
    The house has 100 amp service to a circuit breaker main. All but two are romex with those two being "rag" romex. The electrical was inspected by a licensed electrician and found in order and stated that any increase in service was not warranted. Does this qualify as "updated"
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 04:27 PM
    "Updated" is a deceptively and deliberately vague term. It is also a B-S term.
    It means whatever the seller, installer, etc, wants it to mean, in varying degrees of progress.

An updated service can mean the panel was replaced, or it can mean a complete service upgrade.

"Updated electrical" (the B-S term most used) can mean anything from receptacles and switches were replaced, to all wiring and devices were replaced, and anything in between.

Once again, it's who can B-S who the most and get away with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

Who sings the song called "Home"? It is always on 5FM and East Coast Radio? [ 2 Answers ]

Who sings the song called "Home"? It is always on 5FM and East Coast Radio?

How to "cap off" electrical outlet in center of yard [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old floodlight sitting in the center of my front yard that used to light a flagpole. We had to take it down due to corrosion, and now, we don't have a clue on how to get rid of the floodlight. Please assist, and thanks in advance :)

Electrical outlets "loose" [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I recently purchased a 16 year-old home. Great house, but we've noticed that when we plug anything into any of the electrical outlets, the plugs don't want to stay in firmly, they just hang there loosely. Is there anything we can do to remedy the situation?

View more questions Search