Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    When I have had enough of someones BS, I just leave, no matter the subject. Having said that, I have been know to argue for the sake of it. Either way, its best not to take someone elses bad behavior (in my view) personally.
    Thank you Tal, I felt like telling them both to stop to be honest, but they both argued themselves to boredom and gave up on it. Thank God (;
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

Jul 23, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    I think sharing, discussing, living and answering questions when asked is enough

How can that possibly be enough? If you truly, really believe that people are going to spend eternity in hell if they don't accept Jesus Christ, then it is your obligation to preach to everyone you ever meet for the rest of your life! It's the least you could do.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lobrobster
    How can that possibly be enough? If you truly, really believe that people are gonna spend eternity in hell if they don't accept Jesus Christ, then it is your obligation to preach to everyone you ever meet for the rest of your life! It's the least you could do.
    Remember the scriptures where Jesus himself has said. Go to different towns and share the news. If they refuse, then dust the dirt off your feet and walk away and move on to the next home or next town.

Senseless arguments and disagreements with continue pressuring the point of Gods existence. If somebody continues to ignore and there unwilling to being preached at. That is there personal choice. To continue debating and pushing beliefs on somebody will only make the situation worse and unbelief stronger.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 08:29 PM
    How can that possibly be enough? If you truly, really believe that people are gonna spend eternity in hell if they don't accept Jesus Christ, then it is your obligation to preach to everyone you ever meet for the rest of your life! It's the least you could do.
    I MEANT in his work place!

You say If you truly, really believe that people are going to spend eternity in hell if they don't accept Jesus Christ, then it is your obligation to preach to everyone you ever meet for the rest of your life! It's the least you could do.
    BUT then it is a damned if you do damned if you don't thing where people use the excuse that they do not believe because they can't see them Proselytizing.
    What is the use of being obligated to preach to people who repeatedly insist they do not want to hear it. Sometimes all you can do is what seems right at the right time and the right place.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jul 23, 2008, 09:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    You are exactly right. That Christian is doing everything possible to turn off any unsure person or non-believer.

I work with Hindus and Muslims and Christians and agnostics. I have found that the "soft answer" works the best, especially if you can turn it around and restate the question or statement and then ask a pertinent question. "I hear you saying there is no God. Is there any particular reason you believe that?" Then he might make comments about how could a loving God allow evil in the world, and you say something like, "Yes, that's certainly hard to believe, that God would allow that. If there is a God, I wonder what his thinking could be." And then get into free will from there. The main thing is to acknowledge what the other person says--not that you agree, but that it's a good point or certainly something to think about.

Regarding the person who takes over the discussion and rams home his beliefs--that's annoying to everyone, Christian or not. You can't outshout him. Maybe the soft answer will work with him too, and then add, "Let's hear what X is thinking about that." Meanwhile, this is a learning experience for all of you, even the Christians learning what each other and what the non-Christians believe--a broadening experience. The more you know about what the other guy believes, the better you can come up with those soft answers.
    This is an appropriate and good method Wondergirl... good response. I would have given you a greenie but it wouldn't allow me. Stringer

EDIT: It seems that some on this desk also take every opportunity to argue and get angry even at the mention of religion, to the point of hatred. I am not offering an opinion here on the subject other than what I said above concerning the method that Wondergirl mentioned. A method that works in other types of discussions also.

I have read many threads/posts on these religious discussions and have seen outright abhorrence towards any discussion on the matter.

Just as these people complain about religious persons promulgating their views, I see where the opposite is true also, no question.

Again, I am offering no opinions on the subject matter, only the attacking nature of some of our members. In all fairness, it isn't and shouldn't be necessary or allowed.

Stringer
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 03:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Your exactly like the non believer at work. Taking the topic discussions and turning into something completely different. I put this topic under discussions and I got a lot of great answers. Whether it is new or old does not matter. What is important is that it has been resolved, I hope.
    I thought the same, not that I know the non-believer at your work but, I am used to Credo's responses, and somehow guessed what you'd be answering.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer
    Again, I am offering no opinions on the subject matter, only the attacking nature of some of our members. In all fairness, it isn't and shouldn't be necessary or allowed.
    True, I've seen that also. But, here it comes, it is an open board and everyone can post any comment he/she likes, lol.

Well, Joe, I hope that your problem has been solved. I think that if you cannot persuade someone, and you've got as far as you could go, then, stop trying to make him believe what he doesn't want to.
    Business Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stringer

"True, i've seen that also. But, here it comes, it is an open board and everyone can post any comment he/she likes, lol."

I find this a somewhat surprising comment Unky, but point made. Then I suppose it is me, I am just not a "search and destroy" type of person, I was raised quite differently. This will be my last comment on this matter. Throwing the ball back to you Joe.

Stringer
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Since when did zeal take the place of good manners, or common courtesy? No religion has a lock on either.
    Business Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Since when did zeal take the place of good manners, or common courtesy?? No religion has a lock on either.
    Thanks Tal, that was my point, in my simple opinion (even though I said I would not comment further on this) "good manners" are definitely and apparently a skill...
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Joe,

You're a sweet kind man. Never worry or be concerned about trying to convince someone of God's love. Some, the more you want to share, will only put on higher walls, and mock, just as this person has done, as a defense mechanism.

All you need to do, is smile, both on your face and in your heart, let this person know how much you do love God and would want this person to know the joy of God's love. And then, no, you don't walk away, in your quiet moments, your pray for this person, and let God do the rest. And there is nothing stronger then God's love, nothing more powerful, and miracles He can create.

God just depends on us, to show and give love to other's and be a loving example. He doesn't want to burden us, with a job, that may be just for Him :).

Have peace in your heart always, and I'm so thankful to know such a kind soul :).
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 02:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer
    Then I suppose it is me, I am just not a "search and destroy" type of person, I was raised quite differently.
    But no, but no, I was not talking of you, Stringer. But of Crendendovis ( or whatever). If you've seen all the topics where he posted his annoying, insignificant comments...

Jul 25, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Remember the scriptures where Jesus himself has said. Go to different towns and share the news. If they refuse, then dust the dirt off your feet and walk away and move on to the next home or next town.

Senseless arguments and disagreements with continue pressuring the point of Gods existence. If somebody continues to ignore and there unwilling to being preached at. That is there personal choice. To continue debating and pushing beliefs on somebody will only make the situation worse and unbelief stronger.
    I don't know... It doesn't seem right to me. If you were unwittingly about to enter a building that had a bomb about to go off, I'd do everything I could to warn you and stop you from doing so. Christians make hell seem like a far worse scenario than a building with a bomb. So I don't understand it. It's almost like, "Ha,ha.. You have wrong information and you're going to hell! While we'll all be in heaven".

Again, if you REALLY believe in the concept of heaven and hell, I don't think it can be trivialized. You should be standing on street corners with signs and doing everything within your individual power to get the word out. Not just preachers, but every Christian should be doing this. It's too important not to. Unless of course, you really don't care that aprox. 2/3 of the world's population is going to burn in hell for eternity.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Again, if you REALLY believe in the concept of heaven and hell, I don't think it can be trivialized. You should be standing on street corners with signs and doing everything within your individual power to get the word out. Not just preachers, but every Christian should be doing this. It's too important not to. Unless of course, you really don't care that aprox. 2/3 of the world's population is going to burn in hell for eternity.
    Again that seems hard to believe an atheist claiming this whenever the fact is that when Christians DO do that the atheists start crying ''jamming it down our throat proselytizing''.

Jul 25, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Again that seems hard to believe an atheist claiming this whenever the fact is that when Christians DO do that the atheists start crying ''jamming it down our throat proselytizing''.
    It's not the 'jamming down our throat' that's bothersome. It's the backing up of what one says through the use of logic. That's where the problem comes in. I have no issue with someone trying to save me. If fact, I'm appreciative that someone cares enough to do so. But invariably, we get down to logical conjecture based on real evidence. That's when it gets ugly and when the one doing the preaching gets in a huff.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 10:12 AM
    Maybe to you but to many people they do not even want to hear Jesus, God, Christian or anything else come from a Christians lips.
    Glad to hear that you are open to hearing about God and the Bible. :D
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Maybe to you but to many people they do not even want to hear Jesus, God, Christian or anything else come from a Christians lips.
    Glad to hear that you are open to hearing about God and the Bible. :D
    As long as it goes both ways. The religious seem to think they have a monopoly and exclusive right on influencing people's lives! The concept of atheism needs to be promoted much more than it currently is, then people can make their own minds up and nobody is going to stop them or harass them over their decision. I'm all for a balanced free thinking society.
    Business Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008
    But no, but no, i was not talking of you, Stringer. But of Crendendovis ( or whatever). If you've seen all the topics where he posted his annoying, insignificant comments...

K... Gotcha... :)

Jul 25, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    As long as it goes both ways. The religious seem to think they have a monopoly and exclusive right on influencing people's lives!
    Actually, I would change this slightly... It is in thinking they have a monopoly on the *truth* that gets people of other faiths and no faiths worked up. Thinking to have answers that no one can possibly know. God's will, what happens after death, how the universe got started, etc. And some atheists are not beyond this type of arrogance either. Many claim to *know* there is no god, or life after death, etc. I find this frustrating on all sides. We can reach differing assessments based on available info, but we should never claim to know for certain that which is unknowable. In my opinion.
    shatteredsoul Posts: 423, Reputation: 130

Jul 25, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Many people are uncomfortable with things that don't make sense to them. Religion for some people just doesn't make sense. IT makes them angry to think they have to BELIEVE something in order to be SAVED or given eternal life. I guess in a way its about questioning authority "WHO SAYS I HAVE TO BELIEVE THAT TO BE A GOOD PERSON, WHATS WITH ALL THE RULES AND REGULATIONS??" Some people believe in what they can see and nothing else. Does it make their existence or life less meaningful? MAybe to those that do believe in an after life. BUT even so, isn't that their right to think and believe what they choose. WHY else would we have so many religions, because not everyone can agree on the same principles, beliefs, customs, obligations and rules.

People are so interesting. They get so emotionally invested in making sure that others see the world as they do. I don't personally see anything wrong with discussing religion, politics, or any other subject, but then again everything was up for debate at the dinner table growing up. We didn't always agree and sometimes we argued but in the end, differences of opinion and respecting differences, are critical to our well being and to our personal growth. We must be able to learn from others and grow, that doesn't mean we have to agree about everything. That is how new opinions and perspectives are formed.

JOE _I don't think you are wrong with sharing your views with those that want to learn or listen or just share their perspective. IT is good to let others know what you believe and share that love of God in your heart. AS long as you aren't trying to persuade people to BELIEVE AS YOU DO. Not everyone wants to hear the bible being quoted in order to support their proof that one religion is correct.

MOST OF ALL, if you are a kind and loving person like YOU are JOE.. than most people will not take offense to what you say. You don't shove your beliefs down people's throats but you are proud of what you have come to understand as your truth and you want to share with those around around you. I can respect that. JUST understand that even though this perspective is completely true to you, doesn't mean others will view it that way. So, if they get defensive, angry or critical of what you are saying, means they feel like you are trying to change their mind about what they believe. IT doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to listen with respect but maybe they cannot internalize it because it just doesn't make sense to them.

Basically, share with those that are questioning, asking, wanting to listen and share and for those that are lost along their way and with others that are resistant, JUST let them be and love them and pray for them from a distance.. Maybe their spiritual growth isn't supposed to occur right now and it isn't our place to try and push them where they are not ready to go.

You have a lot of love and wisdom to share and many people who love and appreciate you for that, do not think it goes wasted on deaf ears because for some, you are saying what they need to hear.

As someone who believes in a creator who exists not only among us, but within us, I personally feel we are all made up of God and if we all treated each other as such, there wouldn't be so much hatred and evil in the world.. (Religion not included)
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 11:25 AM
    'nother greenie shattered soul :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

First discussion about mentration [ 8 Answers ]

How do I tell my 9 year old about menstration?

View more questions Search