Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sneed0711 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 11:30 AM
    Quick claim deed
    I own a home that was purchased in 2002 by my brother with me on the deed. We did it this way to allow me to buy it with his credit which was better than mine at that point. I have a second on the home in my name alone. I pay both mortgages and always have. He now would like to transfer interest to me as he would like to buy his own home in another state. Would a quick claim deed work for us? Or do I need to assume the loan? If we quick claim it over to me will it still effect his debt ratio?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Welcome to AMHD. Your brother is on the note and mortgage with you, right? He can quit claim the property to you, but you will probably have to refinance to get him off the mortgage. Loan assumptions are not allowed in the language of most mortgages. You also need to review the documents for a due-on-sale clause.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 15, 2008, 12:38 PM
    No, he can't quick claim (no such thing) but he can quit claim the deed to you. However, that wouldn't affect his liability under the mortgage and it might result in the lender calling the loan. So your best bet is to refinance the loan and, at the closing quit claim the property in your name only.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 01:15 PM
    First of course the lender may not want the person who has money borrowed to sign over his share, since that is the security for the loan.
    Also many loans have clauses that make the loan payable in full if ownership is transferred. So it is best to ask the lender if it is OK, and/or to refi it under your name alone

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quick Claim Deed [ 1 Answers ]

I will like to refiance my home and take my boyfriend off the deed. How much will that Cost me to do a quick claim deed if my loan amount is $ 650,000.00? I live in the state of Maryland.

Quick Claim and add name to the deed [ 2 Answers ]

I want to file a quick claim to my property and add my sister's name on the deed since she is the one paying the mortgage for the last 10 years. What is the most quick way to do this. Can I do this with out hiring a lawyer.

Quick claim deed [ 1 Answers ]

Does your name come off the mortgage if you sign the deed over to the other person who's name is also on the mortgage

Quick claim deed [ 1 Answers ]

I about a house 3 years before marriage and after the marriage I made a quick claim deed to my wife . Now I am selling the house what are my wife's rights?

Quick Claim Deed [ 10 Answers ]

My ex had me sign papers that said he signed a quit claim deed in 2001. If I got a copy I can not find it (but I don't think I got a copy). I went to the court house to find out why my ex was still on the property tax bill. Come to find out that the quit claim deed was never filed. On October...

View more questions Search