Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peterb011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Getting divorce while waiting on I-751 approval
    My wife (USC) and I jointly filed I-751 on time, before expiration of 2 year conditional residence that expired in March 2008.
    I received a letter/receipt from USCIS extending my conditional status for another 12 months while the petition is waiting for processing (decision expected in Jun 2009).
    Recently our marriage got very rocky, perhaps beyond salvage. What are possible consequences on processing and/or my status if we get separated or divorced before I get unconditional green card?

Thanks
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb011
    My wife (USC) and I jointly filed I-751 on time, before expiration of 2 year conditional residence that expired in March 2008.
    I received a letter/receipt from USCIS extending my conditional status for another 12 months while the petition is waiting for processing (decision expected in Jun 2009).
    Recently our marriage got very rocky, perhaps beyond salvage. What are possible consequences on processing and/or my status if we get separated or divorced before I get unconditional green card?

Thanx
    Extension of conditional status for another 12 months translates as insufficient proof of relationship, so if the marriage is terminated before the end of this extended period, it could be very risky.

You have the choices of hanging in there until you become LPR OR divorce and have immigration attorney take care of this issue. None of these is easy as you need to provide to USCIS with documents proving you entered marriage in good faith and denial of this application will cause you extreme hardship.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

COS L-1 to F-1 with I-140 withdrew before approval [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am in L-1 and applied for COS to F-1. I had previously applied for I-140 but withdrew it before it was approved. With my COS request I included two letters from past employers outside the US with firm job offers after my Masters program completion. Do you think I have any chance to...

Do I seek approval from my divorce parents? [ 3 Answers ]

Do I seek approval from my father of my fiancé or even invite my father who divorced my mother 20 years ago to my wedding. I'm 30 years old and he was never part of my life after the divorce and I only talk to him a couple of times of year. He still acts like a father over the phone but never...

Waiting for a divorce to go through [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend that is currently separated from her husband and they have filed for divorce. Because when they got married her credit was perfect and his credit was poor she purchased the 2 cars, have a house, and several credit cards. Now that they are separated, he is willing to only pay $100...

SSN after H1b approval [ 5 Answers ]

My friend is in USA on H4. He had applied for H1b and got an approval. Can he apply for SSN now. If not, when can he apply? What are the documents required? Thanks.

View more questions Search