Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pdaher Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Cleaning a self cleaning oven
    I have a self cleaning oven that is over 9 years old and I have never cleaned it. I'm afraid that if I try to clean it now that it will either smoke so much that my smoke alarm will go off or the oven might even start on fire. Am I better off just buying a new stove or should I try to clean it while having a fire extinguisher nearby?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 09:32 AM
    Do you mean you actually have a self cleaning oven that locks and you set and time it to clean ? There is a difference, some say self cleaning and they don't actually have that feature.

The best oven clean you can have is the one that cleans itself. Y ou don't have to worry about smoke or over heating.

But... as you say. Just how BAD is the oven before I say you can do it?
    pdaher Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    Do you mean you actually have a self cleaning oven that locks and you set and time it to clean ? There is a difference, some say self cleaning and they dont actually have that feature.

The best oven clean you can have is the one that cleans itself. Y ou dont have to worry about smoke or over heating.

But......as you say. Just how BAD is the oven before I say you can do it?

Yes, I actually have a self cleaning oven that locks and I set the time to clean it. I did clean it once in the first year that I had it and it filled my apartment with smoke even though the windows were open and I had fans running. I never did it again and now I'm afraid I might smoke up the entire building or even start a fire. It doesn't look all that bad, really. I don't cook a lot. Do you think I should try it?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 09:43 AM
    That never happened to me and sometimes mine was really bad because I had a catering business, so you can imagne how much it got used.

Try it again. Get out your manual and set it to the letter. Smoke shouldn't happen, but those ovens do get super hot, but not to touch, they are that well insulated.

I only wish I had one now, it is a real b***ch using that oven cleaner with gloves on and waiting to clean it, then the wiping off and the cleaning up... yuck. Good luck !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost instructions for myself cleaning Kenmore oven. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Kenmore slide-in self cleaning range. The model number is 790.46352400. I have lost the instructions on how to use the self cleaning feature. I cannot find how one locks the door to begin the cleaning process. Do you have a manual that I can print. Thanks...

Self Cleaning Oven [ 1 Answers ]

I lost the instructions to clean my Kenmore oven. I just need the to know how to use the self cleaning on my Kenmore stove.:)

Cat not cleaning herself [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 15 year old female cat who is a very good cat and has always kept herself well groomed. In the past couple of months, her fur is becoming slightly clumped and is always shedding no matter how much we try to clean the excess fur off. I have also noticed she is not cleaning herself. She...

View more questions Search