Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rsukovich Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 07:41 AM
    Can't download DSL
    I am hooked up to DSL with a main computer connected to a 4 port (hard wire) router, from which I am currently running a second computer and intend a third. When I plugged in the third unit, I was able to access the Internet through DSL. Because of all the junk on the third unit, I decided to restore it to the original condition like I just got it from the store, clean. Of course, this eliminated the DSL software. In order to regain the DSL hookup, I proceeded to re-install the DSL using an installation disc. Keep in mind, that this unit already contains the ethernet connection adapter. When I get to step three on the disc, which deals with having to have the ethernet connection adatpter, the installation stalls and won't go any furtherl. A check on the ipconfig indicates that te IP is all zeros.
    Bob
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 07:55 AM
    You should not need to install any DSL software of any of that third computer, the router should be keeping the connection alive and offering the network connection to any wired computer connected to it. I'm assuming that the third computer has had the OS and drivers installed correctly.
    Rsukovich Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 09:13 AM
    What about the zero reading on the IP, Default server and Gateway and could the length of the DSL cable coming from the router have anything to do with not getting DSL. Bob
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 15, 2008, 10:27 AM
    NeedKarma is correct. You may have another issue such as not being able to obtain a DHCP address for your third computer. Verify that your NIC drivers are installed correctly and if this is a new installation with Windows XP SP2, it automatically enables the Windows Firewall. Turn this off temporarily until you get your network set up.

Your cabling from source to end-point can be up to 100 meters in length.

So, back to the DHCP problem. First, restart the DSL modem and then wait for it to come back up. Then restart your router and wait for it to respond. Then go to a command prompt on your Third Computer and type IPCONFIG /RENEW and hit Enter. Then type IPCONFIG /ALL and hit Enter to review the IP configuration. You should see some valid addresses. Temorarily turning off the Firewall and resetting your equipment will often correct the problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't Download [ 1 Answers ]

Something is wrong with my software. It will not download anything. I had this software called Internet Download Manager. I have a Windows XP. So, what should I do? Pleas Help Me!! :confused:

I can't download anything! [ 3 Answers ]

For some reason I have tried to download game trials and such. But when I download one when its downloading all of a sudden it will freeze it will stop downloading like at the beginning of the download I need BIG help. Thanks in advace just in case I ferget to thank you for your help.ps: I'm VERY...

Where can I download? [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I download english songs for free{complete songs}

Might need download [ 2 Answers ]

Got a good answer saved the day... thanks

Can't download ANYTHING! [ 13 Answers ]

My computer has just recovered from a problem in which was solved by the removing of display drivers. While I doubt that shouldn't affect my downloading, I can't think of anything that is wrong with my computer for it to be as such. Now I can't even download new drivers. I need help!! :( ...

View more questions Search