Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashachelani Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 12:07 AM
    Purpose of our life
    What is the purpose of this life. Just eating, sleeping, working and doing some favors for the needy- will this justify our existence? Why god has sent us on the earth? Getting confused.
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Jul 15, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ashachelani
    What is the purpose of this life. Just eating, sleeping, working and doing some favors for the needy- will this justify our existence? Why god has sent us on the earth? getting confused.
    ashachelani -

I appreciate your question and I'd like to try to answer it. But first, may I ask you a few questions?

What's your background? What country are you from? What was your culture like in terms of how it thought about life and it's purpose?

Let's start there and we can talk further.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 12:03 PM
    What is the purpose of this life. Just eating, sleeping, working and doing some favors for the needy- will this justify our existence? Why god has sent us on the earth? getting confused.
    Are you a follower of any religion?
    I asked because this might make a difference in what you believe as the purpose of life.

For me personally,I believe I have different roles as a human being,a daughter,a sister,a mother,a wife,a friend,a neighbour,a citizen of the world and above all a created being who will be tested in all of these roles I am in.

I believe that my purpose in life is to make the most of my time in this world and do the best I can in following the guidelines I know to live my life the way the Almighty will be pleased with my actions.
    And by doing the actions that pleases the Almighty I become a productive citizen,a concerned person regarding the welfare of my family,neighbours and any others I come in contact with.I safegaurd myself from being harmed and from harming others intentionally.
    I try to be patient in times of trial knowing that these are tests and that I will be tested as long as I am living.

And yes,I do eat,sleep,work,and I believe in doing all these the right way I am fulfilling my purpose in life.

I believe our purpose in life is to find the right path,live by the right guidelines and work towards an eternal peace and not just work for the worldly life we live in.
    ashachelani Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 09:30 PM
    Dear Jakester
    I from India. I believe in religion but not like those by our forefathers (e.g. christianity, hinduism, islam and so on). Being a working and married woman I do my duties towards my family dedicately. In spite that I always search for the answer to this question.
    shw3nn Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jul 16, 2008, 06:41 AM
    I'm not a Buddhist but I like Buddha's answer to this question.

Your purpose is to find your purpose and give yourself to it completely.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 07:15 AM
    Hello a:

We are here to screw and make babies. That's all. There ain't any meaning to it.

excon
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 05:55 AM
    Hi Ashachelani... if only we new the answer to that question!!

All of us will have very different views as to why we are here, many baste on the type of life we are living at present... the well off, the poor, those who find each day a struggle, the sick and needy and the disabled.

I could go into some long drawn out discussion which would take up the whole board, but in trueth I don't have a absolute concrete answer.

Personally, I believe that we are here to experience all the beauty and opportunities open to us, that this life on earth has to offer everyone, however what happens along the way can be down to choices we've made for ourselves.

I believe that life, what ever your beliefs or perhaps you don't, is a learning curve for whatever comes next...
    tonyrey Posts: 102, Reputation: 10

Mar 26, 2009, 08:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello a:

We are here to screw and make babies. That's all. There ain't any meaning to it.

excon
    If there's no meaning to life everything is meaningless and valueless - including your statement :eek:
    Maggie 3 Posts: 262, Reputation: 41

Mar 31, 2009, 09:37 PM
    We are here to make this world a better place. We do not truly live until we truly
    love and care about what is around us. Until you learn to love there will be no true value
    to life. Love never fails, it does not seek its own way, does not behave rudely, does
    not provoke or think evil, does not envy, does not rejoice in iniquity , but rejoices in
    the truth. These are all childest things that we put away and as men and woman we
    grow up to know the truth about life, we will love others, caring and meeting needs
    of others. We will love our neighbors as our self, love is the light of the world, it will
    over come the darkness and the evilness of this world. This is the beginning of a life
    of fullfilment which brings contentment to life.

Love and Blessings,

MAGGIE 3
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Apr 2, 2009, 08:42 AM

Well let's see. Without getting too flowery because I hate that. MY purpose is what I decide my purpose is. It's the same for everyone. Each person bears the responsibility to create their own purpose.

1 Make positive efforts that create a ripple effect through society.
    2 Raise my children to be happy productive contributing adults.
    3 Use my time , talents, and abilities to help make life better for other people. We are all in this together.
    4 Be a soft shoulder and a good listener when people are hurting.
    5 TRY very hard to look on the bright side when life goes badly.
    greatodie Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Apr 12, 2009, 09:34 PM

Great!
    That means someone is looking some meaningful questions of his life !
    See everyone has different versions of his or her meanings or purposes of life :

Some think its about money , some think its wining other s?
    ??
    Try to find who you are and what exactly you want from your life that's it :)
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Apr 13, 2009, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ashachelani View Post
    Those things you listed are not 'The meaning" they are just "The sustaining" of life. Our quest is to clear the confusion and determine what we want our lives to mean.
    Then we work toward that goal. Just my humble opinion.:p
    tonyrey Posts: 102, Reputation: 10

Apr 16, 2009, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ashachelani View Post
    Why do we have to justify our existence? We didn't ask to be born! :)

But we should be grateful for being alive. We didn't ask to be born but we're not forced to stay alive: we can choose to live or take an overdose :rolleyes: At least we have a choice.

It's ridiculous to complain about life's drawbacks or to envy others. We can't all have the same opportunities but we can make the most of those we have. Our purpose is to be happy by developing our talents and enjoying the richness and beauty of the world - and sharing it with others. Then we are fulfilling the supreme purpose of life: to love and be loved...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What causes a person to be MEAN on purpose? [ 9 Answers ]

Does anyone have any experience on what would drive you to the point to be mean to someone? Would you say it is a way of seeking revenge/punishment?

National Purpose [ 2 Answers ]

What is the National Purpose of the Republic of Serbia?

Purpose of Life? [ 85 Answers ]

I know and believe what my purpose in life is, Do you know yours? And whatever you believe, could you please explain how have you reached this conclusion? Thank you in advance for all your thoughts! :)

NYC resident for tax purpose or not? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I entered the U.S. in July 2005 and just graduated with my MBA in May 2007. I am now here on F-1 Visa status. I am working with a company in NYC. I also live in NYC. Would I be considered as a NYC resident for tax purposes? Am I getting NYC taxed on salary and bonus? Thank you so much...

Being difficult on purpose [ 4 Answers ]

Well, my friend went to mediation on Tuesday and the mediator basically told him that her anger issues aren't important right now, I'm here for the child to get you two to agree on a parenting plan. They have to have separate appts because he has a restraining order on her. She just wants to use...

View more questions Search