Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrissy1313 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 08:40 PM
    Driftwood Furniture
    Does anyone have any suggestions on making driftwood furniture, i.e. - screws to used, keeping them durable? Thanks,
    bwhitney1256 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Hi Chrissy,
    I've never played around with driftwood but if you are going to screw them together I would recommend using deck screws. They are coated to prevent rust. You may want to also consider counter sinking the screws then placing a wooden plug in. That will allow the piece to appear a little more natural.
    Have fun
    chrissy1313 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 09:27 PM
    Thanks, I hadn't thought of either of those suggestions, nor had my husband as I grill him about it. I 'll let you all know how I make out with this endeavour. Cheers!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 10:19 PM
    Excellent response in Post #2 above!

Yes, plugs would be good to cover the screws. If you might be looking to make furniture that is primitive and authentic, you might want to consider using cut nails and glue in order to hold pieces together. Cut nails hold almost as well as screws do and give furniture more of an authentic antique look. That is, if that is something that might be appealing to you. Cut Nails - Suppliers, Vendors, Sources, Manufacturers - Suppliers, Vendors, Manufacturers - OldHouseWeb.com

Any wood where skin or other elements might come into contact with it is going to need to be protected with some kind of finish. You have a great variety of finishes from which to choose. If I were making that kind of furniture, what I probably would use for a finishing material would be some kind of oil that could be wiped or brushed on. If you don't put some kind of finish on the furniture, than bare skin is going to be doing the finishing in very conspicuous ways for you eventually!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How best to market my furniture [ 5 Answers ]

I make furniture at my farm in Ulster County New York. My barn is full to capacity with cherry, pine and tiger maple farm tables, coffee tables, wardrobes, large thick benches. What I would like to do is find someone with a store that could sell these beautiful items instead of me having sales here...

How do I depreciate furniture? [ 2 Answers ]

The furniture on the books of August 31 had an estimated salvage value of $4150 and 12 year life. In August furniture - 37270 now in September 37780 I used the September one. 37780 - 4150/12 = 2802.5 Is this right?

Dogs on furniture [ 3 Answers ]

Trinkett is a 7-year-old ex-racing greyhound. Has spent most of her life on the track and breeding farm, but has settled into house-pet life reasonably well. There is one thing that I am pondering with her... she won't get on the furniture. In fact, she doesn't even seem to realize that...

Furniture purchase [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a couch in 3/07, and in 8/07 I noticed the 2 back cushions are two different shades. The couch is navy. I contacted the retailer on 9/11/07 and told them of my problem. They said they could order 3 more cushion covers, and I could pick the best 2 that matched, but that is all they...

Best Furniture Companies [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get the best 5 furniture companies in US and UK?

View more questions Search