Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kiran_uoh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 05:56 PM
    J1 Tax returns if they leave to their own country within 2 years of arrival
    Hai,

I have a question regarding my (J1) Tax returns.

As far as I know J1 persons can get total tax amount return, if they leave before exceeding (within) two years from USA.

The Question is that is on two years

Like two calender years
    Or
    Within two years from J1 arrival to USA.

Kindly Clarify my question and if possible send me the information link/broacher if available. Presently I am not taking my Tax treaty and I am curious about If I go back to my country (India) within two years of my arrival, weather I will get my total tax returns or not.

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jul 14, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Read iRS publication 519 Tax for Aliens at Internal Revenue Service

Also read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents
    kiran_uoh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 12:41 PM
    Many thanks for the answer,

Please follow the link given bellow,

Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Treaties for Professors, Teachers and Researchers

And see the lines bellow... present in the above link,

India
    An individual is exempt from U.S. tax on income received for teaching or research if he or she:
    *Is a resident of India immediately before visiting the United States, and
    *Is in the United States to teach or engage in research at an accredited university or other recognized educational institution in the United States for a period not longer than 2 years.
    If the individual's visit to the United States exceeds 2 years, the exemption is lost for the entire visit.
    This exemption does not apply to income from research carried on mainly for the private benefit of any person rather than in the public interest.

I would like to now what kind of "2 years" is that..

Like two calender years
    Or
    Within two years from J1 arrival to USA.

Thanks..
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 02:48 AM
    1. Here 2-years should mean two years from J1 arrival. However, you can check with IRS International Hotline 215-516-2000.

2. Also the 2 years is applicable only if you have J1 visa for the required purpose. Once you have H1-B, this is no longer valid. Also you are expected to leave the U.S. within 2-years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Absent Father Returns After 7 years [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I have a daughter who is almost 7 years old and her biological dad has been absent pretty much her whole life. We split up when I was 4 months pregnant and he joined the army. My husband has been apart of our life since I was pregnant, so my daughter grew up knowing him as her father. Her...

How can I get a copy of last years tax returns info ? [ 4 Answers ]

I moved since taxes last year and can't seem to find a copy of them... I need it for my college paperwork. Can you tell me where I can get it quickly?? Thank you.

SS Disabililty Benefits-Tax Returns Not Filed In Recent Years [ 1 Answers ]

I have friend who has inoperable cancer and there are no treatment options that will offer a cure. He has been self-employed for quite a number of years and is presently only working part-time. He has paid into Social Security over past years and has enough credits to receive disability benefits,...

View more questions Search