Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sonador101 Posts: 298, Reputation: 14

Jul 14, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Child abandonment
    My sister had a kid with a guy (jerk but that's another story) 3 years ago, about six months after she was born, he took off after stealing all our (me my moms my brothers sisters) dvds. My sister got married (she wasn't married to the first guy) and had another kid. The first guys name is on the birth certificit.
    Well we haven't seen or heard from him since, my question is if he shows up, does he have any rights to my niece. I have heard of child abandonemnt and I am not sure how it works. Could someone help.
    We live in Nevada
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonador101
    my sister had a kid with a guy (jerk but thats another story) 3 years ago, about six months after she was born, he took off after stealing all our (me my moms my brothers sisters) dvds. my sister got married (she wasn't married to the first guy) and had another kid. the first guys name is on the birth certificit.
    well we havn't seen or heard from him since, my question is if he shows up, does he have any rights to my niece. i have heard of child abandonemnt and i am not sure how it works. could someone help.
    we live in nevada

Yes, the natural father has rights to the child until a Court says he does not. In order to abandon the child he would have to desert the child - which he has not done. The child is with its mother.

Your sister can keep him from seeing the child until he gets a Court Order for visitation. She should also be collecting child support.

He took off after stealing DVDs? How old is he?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 14, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Ok, since his name is on the birth certificate, she needs a custody order if she has not already gotten one, So she needs to file for custody in court, and file for child support, as noted abandonment does not apply to this.
    Sonador101 Posts: 298, Reputation: 14

Jul 14, 2008, 05:47 PM
    At the time he was twenty but acted like he was four, (man I hate that guy!)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

How long does abiological parent have to not be in contact with or about their minor child before it is cosidered abandonment in the state of Georgia?

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Abandonment [ 8 Answers ]

I have a similar question to what someone else asked who is located from Alabama. How do I file for Child Abandonment? The difference between my situation and the other person who asked this exact question is that the father actually still lives in the same state as we do. He hadn't seen my son in...

Child abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 6 years old, her father stop coming to see her when she was just 2. He is now taking me to court to try to take custody from me:mad: . It was his choice to stop seeing her, I tried to keep things good for my daughters sake but he decided to stop seeing her, never sending no birthday...

Child abandonment in ny [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm hoping you can answer a couple questions for me. I live in ny and have 3 common children w. my husband. We have been separated by a restraining order I took out against him in feb. of '05. In family court he was given once a week supervised visitation. The last time he utilized his...

View more questions Search