Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    di0906 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Belly fat
    What can I do to loose the belly fat. I have been doing cardio and weight lifting 6 times a week and eating right. My whole body looks good except my belly. No matter what I do I can not get rid of it. I am 5.4 f tall and I weigt 120 lb. thank you
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 02:38 PM
    Hi... for your height your obviously not over weight at 9 st... ish,you appear to be doing all the correct things to keep your body in shape.

I'm just wondering if the weight lifting that you are doing is the correct work out for the stomach muscles.

Do you have a personal trainer to advize you, tell you the correct exersizes for each part of the body or are you left to work out your own routine for yourself?

Although you work very hard to get in shape, it appears that what you are doing is not toning up the stomach, if you can ask for advice from an experience trainer it would be to your advantage.

You say your diet is fine.. what does that mean exactly?. you eat 3 meals a day or you eat a healthy diet or you don't over eat!

Take a look at what you do eat, how much of it contains hidden fat, you'd be surprised to see what is low in sugar is usually high in fat and vice versa, even supposed diet foods.

Next time your doing the grocery shop ,take a quick look at the labels just to see what's been thrown in there before you buy.

Try to eat little or preferably no fat, the body will have to use up it's reserves, hopefully by means of your belly fat, look to see if you can change the type of food that you eat... exchange wholemeal for white bread, olive low spread inplace of full or half fat spread, fill up with fresh veg, fruit,pulses etc.. Anywhere else that you feel needs a change, then go for it, don't eat late at night your body will retain the calories, have a meal earlier so's you can work it off before retiring in the evening.

Try some sit ups before going to bed... lie on the floor place the top of your toes under the bed pull yourself up holding your arms behind your head... repeat... 10+
    Very good for stomach muscles.

Jul 15, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rphan
    Hi...for your height your obviously not over weight at 9 st... ish,you appear to be doing all the correct things to keep your body in shape.

I'm just wondering if the weight lifting that you are doing is the correct work out for the stomache muscles.

Do you have a personal trainer to advize you, tell you the correct exersizes for each part of the body or are you left to work out your own routine for yourself?

Although you work very hard to get in shape, it appears that what you are doing is not toning up the stomache, if you can ask for advice from an experience trainer it would be to your advantage.

You say your diet is fine.. what does that mean exactly?... you eat 3 meals a day or you eat a healthy diet or you don't over eat !!

Take a look at what you do eat, how much of it contains hidden fat, you'd be surprized to see what is low in sugar is usually high in fat and vice versa, even supposed diet foods.

Next time your doing the grocery shop ,take a quick look at the labels just to see whats been thrown in there before you buy.

Try to eat little or preferably no fat, the body will have to use up it's reserves, hopefully by means of your belly fat, look to see if you can change the type of food that you eat...exchange wholemeal for white bread, olive low spread inplace of full or half fat spread, fill up with fresh veg, fruit,pulses etc.. anywhere else that you feel needs a change, then go for it, don't eat late at night your body will retain the calories, have a meal earlier so's you can work it off before retiring in the evening.

Try some sit ups before going to bed......lie on the floor place the top of your toes under the bed pull yourself up holding your arms behind your head...repeat...10+
    Very good for stomache muscles.

I eat 2- 3 times a day and a snack in the afternoon. I eat healthy and consume 1200-1300
    Calories a day. Sometimes even less then that. But I will try to do sit ups before bed time.Thank you for your answer

Jul 15, 2008, 10:23 AM
    [QUOTE=di0906]

Hello

Thank you for your answer. I eat 2- 3 times a day and a snack in the afternoon. I eat healthy and I consume 1200-1300 calories a day. Sometimes even less then that. But I will try to do sit ups before bed time.
    blackshield Posts: 24, Reputation: 5

Jul 20, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Maybe you should try pilates.

Pilates is good for toning up the belly.

Also, alcohol has a lot of sugar and calories, and the belly is the first place it is stored. I don't know how much you drink, but you might want to look into some lower calorie alcoholic beverages if you do consume alcohol.
    Janeamaka Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2008, 05:49 PM
    Hello maybe you belong to the type who respons too good to nutritions, if that is the case then you have to do more fitness for your tommy, situps before going to be is good but you can repeat it also in the morning.
    Riding bycicle do wonders but at least good 1hr. 3x weekly.
    if you can do this 2 things I a month you will get nice result. I deed the same:)
    all the best.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by blackshield
    Maybe you should try pilates.

Pilates is good for toning up the belly.
    Pilates is awesome for all core strength, including the belly and stubborn lower back fat.

Go to the link below, scroll down about 1/3 of the way and look for the first dvd in a line of four that is called "the secret to flat abs"

STOTT PILATES | At Home Video Series

The abs workout is good and can help you begin to crank things in.

Personally, the tape is too slow for my liking, but my wife uses it and other stott dvds all the time... so I use several of the moves from the dvd on my own. Pilates type situps, half rollbacks, plank. Also bicycle crunches are one of the best overall moves for the abs. the dvd will help you learn about form, breathing and movement.

The key with pilates is control, engaging and isolating the muscles, use of good form, and proper breathing. I'm in good shape, but my wife can do moves I'm not able to do, at least not with the control she has, and I attribute much of it to pilates-build core strength.

The only addendum is she also has had personal training outside of the tape, and that can expedite your learning good posture and form. If you don't do it as directed, you'll get some benefit, just not as much as you could be getting.

And remember... you need to confuse your body. If you do the same workout over and over it will get used to it. The reason why pro atheletes cross train outside whatever event or position they play is partly because hitting your body from many different angles keeps it "confused"...

In addition to the pilates tape, my wife also does billy blanks tae bo... this is more my speed and I do this daily. His Tae Bo Amped with the amplifier bar is commonly available at places like Target or online...

TaeBo AMPED Workout DVD by Billy Blanks - Billy Blanks

Personally, the bar he sells with the pkg is OK, but you can do the workout without it, and often I use dumbbells instead. You start the program not using it, so if you could pick up the dvds cheap and later decide if you want weighted resistance, itd be fine. We have his bar, various dumbbells, and a few weighted bars of different weights. The above pack will probably stress your arms and shoulders and your hips and legs early on, but it's a good way to break into his routine and can get into your core a little.

Then get this, or start with this to focus on your core

Rockin' 2 Pack: Abs & Buns and Sculpt Express DVDs - Billy Blanks
    With rockin abs, rockin buns, and sculpt express...

You can do as good a workout, or better, without his dvd, but a dvd is a distraction for the mind as you work your body, and I'm a fan for the most part of having different workout dvds at home.

I know the first pack we got on sale at target for 30 bucks. The second was something like 20 on sale. If you wanted to skip the first pack with the amplifier bar you could I guess, but it's a good way to break into his program and then progress to the harder stuff. When you start it you'll find some moves you can't do with weights, some you might need to do half speed. Its not hard to modify the workout to meet what feels safe for you.

And check out the vids at Amazon on eBay... you can get the stott pilates dvd for 5 bucks. Don't know about the tae bo.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Also, if you want to go the cheap sneak peek route, go to your local public library... you can often get free rental exercise dvds to try out for a time. Not a bad no investment way to see if you might like a program.

I can't attest to other pilates tapes other that stott's... I like their stuff and its what my wife's trainer used for her personal business.
    Rabbit91 Posts: 74, Reputation: -5
    -

Jul 25, 2008, 09:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by di0906
    What can i do to loose the belly fat. i have been doing cardio and weight lifting 6 times a week and eating right. My whole body looks good except my belly. No matter what i do i can not get rid of it. i am 5.4 f tall and i weigt 120 lb. thank you
    Unfortunately it is impossible to lose weight on one part of your body (unless liposuction). What that means is you have to do a whole body makeover before you hit the jackpot.

No matter how hard you workout if your diet is not in order then you will not see results. Eat a low fat diet, rich in veggies/fruits, stay away from salt,sugar and drink a lot of water. Drinking a lot of water keeps you full (miss meals etc.. ).

Hope I helped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Belly fat won't go away! [ 4 Answers ]

I've lost 15lbs recently, my boobs are smaller and my butt is smaller, but my stomach is the same. I've got the nastiest muffin top ever, and it won't go away. Are there any specific exercises that I can do to help?

Fat belly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 12Y.0 5'6 and 208 pounds though I'm obese I'm as strong and active as a "fit" person. I kind of Like the way my belly feels and I have not gained a pound in months. Keep it or take pills (normal tactics won't work)

Big belly [ 6 Answers ]

Hi my name is max I just want to know how much beers I need to drink to have a big huge belly can someone tell me please:)

Belly Fat [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a hard time getting rid of belly fat and in my upper chest. It is driving me nuts. Is there any way to loose most of this in about 6months??

Belly [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 13 I had my belly button pierced last year but I used witch hazel it went infected and the two holes meet as one I now have 1 scar at the top . My mate is going to have hers done on the weekend I would like to have mine done with her my mom said I can but she thinks they won't do it because of...

View more questions Search