Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qwerty321 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Gods and goddesses
    What are the two cotrasting ideas associated with Dionysus' worship?
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Jul 20, 2008, 05:36 PM
    In the Bacchae by Euripedes (I'll be very embarrassed if I'm remembering it wrong and it was Sophocles), he portrays the worshippers of Dionysus as living a peaceful, hippie, natural existence out in the forest. The Maenads could scratch the earth with their fingernails and milk or wine would flow out for them to drink, for instance. However, he also portrays them as feral and violent--ripping off Pentheus' head, for instance.
    lordwispa Posts: 77, Reputation: 2

Sep 16, 2008, 10:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty321
    What are the two cotrasting ideas associated with Dionysus' worship?
    I know one thing newer studies have highlighted an idea that the pictures associated with Dionysus show Demeter holding what was once thought to be stalks of rye, now they think she was holding Passpalum grass. The fungus ergot (claviceps purpurea) which is where they discovered Lysergic Acid Amide, (LSA, which was the chemical they altered to make LSD) grows on rye but has the nasty side effect of making you limbs drop off and babies abort as well as some other scary things. However the type of ergot which grows on Passpalum(claviceps passpali) does not have the nasty side effects, so now they are suggesting that the Dionysian rituals that are meant to alter one forever are a feast of ergot(and not just getting drunk)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gods of War 2 [ 1 Answers ]

In Gods of War 2 on Playstation 2 in the section called the great Chasm you are supposed to be able to run to end of bridge and go to a cut scene where ecurace fly's up and etc... but I run to the end and nothing happens. Did I miss something? HELP!!

Diffences between abraham and other gods? [ 3 Answers ]

How was abraham different from other ancient gods. Who are they and what was their purpose?

Why so many gods? [ 40 Answers ]

Islam has only One god, the Jews have only one God. Why is it that that mainstream Christianity has god the Father, god that Son and god the Holy Spirit and these three gods are really only one god? Peace and Grace David

LDS Gods and universes? [ 19 Answers ]

What do the LDS's mean when they say that the biblical God was once a man who was exalted and given his own universe? According to them--who gave the biblical God that universe and who exhaltwed him. Another god?

Selling their gods as food? [ 7 Answers ]

Has anyone else here noticed that there are persons from India owners of grocery stores selling beef? Isn't that supposed to be against their religion? I have read that if you harm cattle in India you might provoke physical attack by the devotees. Any thoughts about this seeming paradox? ...

View more questions Search