Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dancer Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2006, 10:04 AM
    Ride on mower engine problem
    Hi,

I have a ride on Snapper mower powered by a 14HP Briggs & Stratton engine.

Model 287707, Type 023501 Code 9601084A

I can start the engine with the choke engaged and it will run. But when I take it off choke the engine stalls. Do you have any idea what the possible causes could be.

Thanks,
    Harry
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2006, 11:59 AM
    Have you maybe just brought it out of winter storage or was just using it and out of the blue started doing this. When it only runs when choked, it sounds like a carb problem. I would take the carb off, tear it down some, and try and blow out any holes you see, if you have a air compressor that would help also, just be careful around the inlet needle seat with compressed air, might blow it out.
    Dancer Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2006, 11:34 AM
    Yes, its just been brought out of storage. I took the carb off and gave it a good cleaning with carburetor cleaner and used the air compressor. I was able to get everything apart to clean separately except for the nozzle; but I did soak it with the cleaner for quite a while. Do you need a special tool to get that out?

There is a slight improvement, I can start it with the choke engaged and now when I take it off choke to fast idle it will speed up and run for 2 to 3 seconds before back firing through the carb and stalling. Before it would stall as soon as I took it off choke. Also I can run the mower around the yard at a pretty good speed (not as fast as before this problem) so long as I leave the trottle on choke.

Any suggestions on what to do from this point would be greatly appreciated. Could the fuel solenoid cause this type of problem?

Thanks,
    Harry
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2006, 06:10 PM
    So this has a fuel shutoff solenoid, usually you can hear a faint click when you turn the key, this either works or doesn't, when it doesn't you won't get fuel. Did you blow out the main jet real good? It may be a hassle, but sometimes it can take a couple times of soaking and blowing it out to get the carb back right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawnboy 6.5hp mower engine fluctuates [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a lawnboy proline lawnmower 6.5hp and a few seconds after starting the mower, the engine goes up and down and I am doing nothing to it. My friend just gave it to me for free as he was moving and he said it did this but still works. Is this a serious problem? Will it get worse? What...

92 Honda Civic LX engine problem. [ 2 Answers ]

Someon please answer this question. I just got to work and my "check engine", "battery" and "coolent" lights came on and my car just stopped and wouldn't go any further. What is going on?? I just had an oil change 3 days ago and filled my car with gas 20 min. before this happened. HELP! I'm stuck...

16.5 I/c Briggs Twin engine problem [ 10 Answers ]

After rebuilding the deck over the last two months, now my Yard Machine 600 series tractor will not run properly. The engine will rev and die repeatedly when you try to cut with it. The carb was rebuilt last year and it has new fuel lines and filter. Is this an adjustment problem or is the carb...

Murray 12.5 Commercial Mower - Briggs Engine - Won't Start/Turn [ 3 Answers ]

So I'm mowing my back yard with my Murray lawn tractor. I brought it back to the garage and parked it, went inside to cool off, and when I went back out to put it back into the garage, it wouldn't start. I turned the key, and got nothing. The lights work, the battery is charged to 100%,...

Riding Mower Problem [ 1 Answers ]

My son has an old Lawn Chief riding mower that he purchased used. I finally got it started, but had to do so by shorting out the solenoid with a screwdriver to get it to turn over. Are any manuals available for these lawn mowers? The other idea I had was to put in a heavy duty push button...

View more questions Search