Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobbie221 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Monitor is flashing cannot make out the picture
    I have a Compaq DeskPro EN with a Ultra VGA 1280 monitor. My son was playing on it and now the monitor is not working. It displays the start up screen fine but when Windows actually loads, I cannot make out the desktop or see the mouse pointer. The screen is flasing and has wavy patterns going across it. How do I change whatever he may (or may not) have changed back to what it was? :eek: Thanks for any suggestions you may have...
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Sound like refresh rate may have been changed

First thing to try is to get into safe mode to see if you can get a usable windows to work n

Start the PC and
    Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message.

To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
    Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
    Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode
    I assume you are using XP.
    -Right click on desktop and choose properties
    -Go to the Settings tab and click on Advanced at the bottom
    -Click on the Monitor tab and look for the Refresh Rate.
    -Move the refresh rate to 60hz and click apply
    -Close all windows and restart the PC

If this does not help, shut down PC and start in safe mode again
    -Once in safe mode, click start, go to settings and click control panel
    -In control panel,click the system icon and then the hardware tab then click Device Manager
    -go to display adapter and click plus sign next to it if it is not already viewable with a yellow mark
    -right click on the display adapter and choose the uninstall option and say OK
    -close all windows and restart PC, all should be OK

Post back, hope this helps

Jul 15, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Thank you so much for your help! I wasn't able to change the refresh rate but I was able to do a system restore from safe mode. That fixed whatever the problem was. I forgot all about running windows in safe mode. Thank you!
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Glsd yougot it working, you should make a system resotre with today's date so you know when the last restore date was made and know it works for you

Jul 15, 2008, 06:25 PM
    I will be sure to do that. I appricate your advise, I'd be lost without ya'!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor colors faded (Monitor color problem) [ 5 Answers ]

I have an envision flat screen monitor and the issue is I had a worm on my computer so I had to reboot it.When the startup came up the colors were faded in a blueish light hue . I updated the drives but still nothing worked. I don't know if it's the monitor or vga cable or just the video card in...

Monitor and computer flashing yellow light [ 4 Answers ]

My monitor and computer stays in power save mode and I'm stuck at what to do. I've tried shutting the entire system down by turning off everything. It then comes back on green (the monitor) but the computer light remains yellow (flashing). Can someone advise me on what to do PLEASE!!

No signal to monitor and keyboard lights flashing [ 11 Answers ]

Hello Please help! I bought a desktop in Nov 06 - it has the following spec: ASRock Conroe 945G - DVI Motherboard Intel Core 2 Duo 1 GB Ram Audiophile Delta Soundcard

Connecting RCA Tv picture in picture with components [ 1 Answers ]

How do you hook up a RCA TV (with picture in a picture feature active) Direct Tv satelitte receiver, vcr, colby dvd player? We have had the RCA Tv for some time but never used the picture in a picture feature cause we did not know how to do this. I know you have to have a vcr in order to do it....

Flashing picture on television [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone tell me why the picture on my television has begun flashing on and off? It started about a month ago only flashing when I would turn it on. After a few minutes it would stop, but has progressively gotten worse to the point that it is flasing almost continuously. Thank you.

View more questions Search