Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fairway Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 09:09 AM
    Blood Pressure medicines and time of day taking them
    I curently have prescriptions for high blood pressure and hypertension. I feel sleepy during the day regardless of amount of sleep the night before and feel pretty lethargic most days. My prescriptions just say " take once per day". How relevant are the following medicines to these "symptoms" and is there a better time to take one or the other?

Evening I take: Cardizem and Altace
    Morning I take: Metoprolol, Lipitor and HZT(diuretic)

Thanks. Fairway
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 14, 2008, 10:41 AM
    High blood pressure is hypertension. I take all my meds except one first thing in the morning after I eat. It is important to have your breakfast first.

I get tired too but put it down to my diabetes although I take my meds correctly. I have never associated lethargy to my blood pressure medication.

You could have these underlying symptoms because of something else and could probably need more blood work to determine what the problem is. See your doctor and don't wait. You don't say how old you are and in some cases this effects the opinion.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 01:09 PM
    I'd suggest moving the Lipitor to bedime and asking the doctor if you can take the Cardizem 2x/day. That's only possible if your taking 240 or 360 mg daily since they are available in 120 and 180 mg capsules.

You might try moving the Altace to bedtime as well because it starts to act within an hour. It enhances the effect of Cardizem.

Special note for Metrolol:

Metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol-XL) is best absorbed when taken with or right after meals. Food may reduce the risk of digestive tract upset and taking the drug at roughly the same time each day allows your body to maintain a constant level of the medication in your blood stream. Metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol-XL) should be taken with a full glass of water. Avoid alcohol while on metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol-XL) because it increases drowsiness and dizziness, and do not take calcium supplements or antacids within two hours of metoprolol because they may reduce absorption.

Primarily, I'd move Lipitor to bedtime.

I would invest in a blood pressure machine and take your BP at various times of the day and in the same position with a few in the morning laying down before you get up at least for a while and when making changes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taking shrooms for the first time [ 21 Answers ]

I want to try taking shrooms this summer but I am scared I will have a bad trip. I smoke weed on an everyday basis and when I smoke pot I always get a little paranoid of cops and bad things happening, do you think I would have a bad trip?

Taking high blood pressure medicine that's making me retain water [ 5 Answers ]

Is there an over the counter medicine to take to reduce my retaining water?

Low water pressure causing high blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have low or no hot water pressure to the downstairs bathroom. I've replaced the cartridges, valves and hot water heater, still no pressure... help.

Taking some time off. [ 8 Answers ]

Hi folks, Due to personal matters, and for reasons that I am not able to discuss at this time, I am taking a leave of absence from this board for a while. I've had a terrific time discussing various topics with all of you, from religion to gun control to politics. We live in interesting...

View more questions Search