Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wblwtuten Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Bryant Heat Pump Buzzing Noise
    Ten year old Bryant heat pump cools house fine, but the unit doesn't run as quiet as it once did. Inside the house you can hear a slight humming. Seems to be getting a little louder as the days pass. When you go outside to the unit it sounds normal, but when the fan stops and the 20 seconds or so it takes for the unit to completely go quiet there is a buzzing noise like something's decompressing. Any ideas?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 14, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Could be the reversing valve is getting noisy. The valve is very expensive to replace. I would just let it run if you can stand the noise.
    wblwtuten Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 09:58 AM
    You say reversing valve. My unit is gas and I think reversing valves are only on electric units, correct?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 14, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Wow I am glad you gave that information in your first post. Gas units are very rare in these parts. I used to service Servel units but not Bryant. Also serviced Carrier units which is about the same as Bryant.

If you have a gas heat pump it circulates ammonia in the sealed system. Then it chills the water or antifeeze mixture.

Sorry but working on that equipment is for professionals only. I recommend you call for ON SITE service if you believe your having a problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bryant Heat Pump stopped blowing cool. [ 6 Answers ]

Last night all of the sudden, the registers stopped blowing cool air. The indoor fan is still running and blowing air, there is just no temp split at all in relation to the rest of the house. The fan outside on the condenser is kicking on. What are the possibilities, and what tools are needed to...

Heat pump buzzing and purging noises [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Day & Night heat pump that is about 20 years old. I've noticed in the past that when it gets cold out (near or below freezing) the unit makes a loud buzzing noise. Actually the noise starts not to loud, but over the course of a minute or two it gets louder. At the loudest point of buzzing,...

Bryant Heat Pump not cooling [ 4 Answers ]

I noticed the other night that my 14 yr old Bryant heat pump was not cooling when I got home. The fan on the unit was not spinning, but I could hear the unit making a buzz. When I used a stick reach the fan to rotate it, it actually spun up to running speed, but never did cool the air in the...

Heat pump noise. [ 5 Answers ]

This is the first house I've had that the outside condenser unit runs year round. In fact, we have 2! Downstairs is all nat gas, and upstairs is electric forced air. Home is new construction. My ques is when the heat is on, there is a purge of hot steamy air that exits out the side of the house...

View more questions Search