Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vpanja Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2006, 07:11 AM
    Filing Taxes for myself (H1) and my wife (h4)
    In one of your previous replies you had said that for filing taxes with person with H1 and wife with H4.
    "Yes, she will need an ITIN. Download a W-7 from www.irs.gov, fill it out, have you wife sign it and attach a notarized copy of her passport to the W-7. Attach both to your joint tax return (leave your wife's SSN blank) and mail the return and mail it to the address on the W-7. The iRS will issue the ITIN, insert it on your joint return, process the return and send you a letter with your wife's ITIN. You can then file your state income tax return."

My question is:
    1. With the above process I would have to wait to get the letter from IRS before I can file my state income tax? Is that the only way as the last date for filing taxes is near.
    2. do you think it would be a better to hire a tax professional?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 1, 2006, 09:21 AM
    Yes, you have to wait. Just file an extension with the state; if you are getting a refund from the state, you need make no payment with the extension.

Hire the tax pro only if you do not feel comfortable filling in the W-7 or preparing the return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes for married filing OPT(self), F1(wife) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a resident of India, I have been in the US from Aug 2004. My wife has been in the US since Aug 2005. I just finished my Masters and am working full time in OPT status. My wife is still in F1 status. Should my employer cut Social Security and Medicare taxes? We wanted to file in...

On H1 Married and wife in india + filing tax returns... [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was in US - California from Oct 30 2005 to Dec 25 2005. For this period, I have W2 from my empoloyer. Now again back in US - Iowa in Feb 10, 2006 and will be here for another 6months. I am married, no children and my wife is in India and will be joining me only in May or June 2006. I got...

How do I file for taxes, my wife is on H4. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, here is the scenario: -I am on H1, and I have to file for my tax returns. -I got married last year, and my wife is in US since dec of last year. -I want to file her as an dependent while applying for tax returns, so that I can -get more returns then the normal returns. My question is,...

Filing for 2004 taxes and 2005 taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just received my W2 from my employer and there were 2 W2's. One W2 was for the wages of Dec 2004 (since the employer pays 1 month delayed salary) and the other one was for Jan - Nov 2005. I want to know if I can refile my 2004 taxes since I just got my Dec 2004's W2. If I add that...

3 states taxes + ITIN for wife [ 3 Answers ]

Hello experts, I've been on H1 for the whole of 2005. I got married in Aug 2005 and my wife joined me in Nov on H4. I have three W-2 forms for three different states for 2005. Now, this is the first time I am going to do my taxes on my own. So - 1) Do I file as "Married filing jointly" or...

View more questions Search