Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lyn89 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 01:31 AM
    Confused on Catholic rituals
    I was baptized as a child and after that my famil and I haven't gone to mass much until very recently when I felt that I needed to go back to church. I went to a Baptist church for a while as well and struggled to find out which was the right path for me. I prayed about it and I think I got the answer I needed so I want to go back to mass.

I did some research and I know my mom didn't keep her word to raise me as a Catholic... but she has been going back to church, she just needs the courage to confess and ask for forgiveness?

I'm not too sure on the rituals, but I heard that I needed to be Confirmed/baptized again. Am I still able to do this? And what is the process like?

Also, when one prays, I know that one is supposed to cross from forehead, heart, left, then to the right and say "In the name of the father, and the son, of the holy spirit, Amen." After that, how do I start a prayer? Just... Dear Father? I know this may sound like a really stupid question, but when I went to the Baptist church, we always said, Dear Lord, or Father, and closed it with "In Jesus name I pray." So I was just wondering if there was a specific way to start and close prayers besides crossing oneself.

Thank you all for the help!
    ravana2 Posts: 146, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 01:43 AM
    Once baptized as a catholic always a catholic . Only way to lose your position as a catholic is to get expelled and only the pope can do that . I don't think that pope bather about your visit to other church .
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 04:40 PM
    All you need to do is go to Confession... otherwise, Baptism and Confirmation into the Catholic Church is permanent. :)

You can pray from any position, in any place from the grocery store to the forest preserve... just start expressing yourself *from your heart*. :)
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jul 15, 2008, 04:58 PM
    It's not important to our Creator to ensure that the ritualistic crossing of your hand across your head/heart or whatever. In fact, the Bible clearly expresses how Jesus asked us to pray to our Father... see scripture Mathew 6:5-13
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 05:00 PM
    You do not need to be baptised again, since you were already baptised. Yes you will need to take adult confirmation classes but they are easy and to be honest the priest will spend a lot of time explaining the customs and the faith.

Don't worry about anything else, just go talk to the priest and tell him you were baptised and want to learn more.
    lyn89 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Oh thank you everyone for your help!! (:
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Hi, God bless you and welcome back to the Catholic Church.

I see that you've received many responses. I'd like to add my two cents if its all right.

Quote Originally Posted by lyn89
    I was baptized as a child and after that my famil and I haven't gone to mass much until very recently when I felt that I needed to go back to church. I went to a Baptist church for a while as well and struggled to find out which was the right path for me. I prayed about it and I think I got the answer I needed so I want to go back to mass.
    Good for you. The Mass is the work of man. It is the most perfect act of adoration, the most perfect prayer which man may offer to God.

I did some research and I know my mom didn't keep her word to raise me as a Catholic... but she has been going back to church,
    That is wonderful.

she just needs the courage to confess and ask for forgiveness?
    We'll pray for her and for you.

I'm not too sure on the rituals, but I heard that I needed to be Confirmed/baptized again. Am I still able to do this? And what is the process like?
    Unless you revoked your Baptism publicly, there is no need for this. Simply go to confession.

Also, when one prays, I know that one is supposed to cross from forehead, heart, left, then to the right and say "In the name of the father, and the son, of the holy spirit, Amen." After that, how do I start a prayer? Just... Dear Father? I know this may sound like a really stupid question, but when I went to the Baptist church, we always said, Dear Lord, or Father, and closed it with "In Jesus name I pray." So I was just wondering if there was a specific way to start and close prayers besides crossing oneself.
    Prayer from the heart is very important. In which case, you may address God in your favorite manner. Examples: My Love, Papa, Daddy, Dear Father, Heavenly Father, etc.

However, there are many formal prayers which you will want to learn for when dryness of the soul afflicts you, as it does many of us.

What is dryness of the soul? Have you ever heard of "writer's block"? Writer's block is when a writer can't think of anything to write. Sometimes people who pray can't think of anything to say. For those occasions, the Lord's Prayer (i.e. the Our Father) and many other prayers are excellent options some of which come directly from Scripture.

Prayers - Catholic Online

Thank you all for the help!
    I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

De Maria

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changes in Muslim rituals after Muhammad's death [ 3 Answers ]

What were the changes that occurred in Muslim rituals after Muhammad's death?

Catholic Myths [ 12 Answers ]

Good Morning, I am currently in a religion class and need some advice from experts on the Catholic religion. I figured who better to go to than a Catholic leader or advisor. My topic is Catholic myths and the truth about those myths. I have many friends from many different religions so I am not...

Buddhist rituals [ 1 Answers ]

What are some buddhist rituals and practices

View more questions Search