Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rob Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2006, 05:45 AM
    PC Purchase Advice
    Considering getting a new desktop. Most of the ads seem to stress gaming applications, which I have no interest in. What I do do is surf the web a lot, some WP & Excel and I would like to write/burn CDs & DVD's from audio & video clips. Any suggestions on:

Appropriate processor: Pentium 4 or AMD?

Desirable specs: processor speed, hard drive size, RAM?

Any of the major brands more reliable or user-friendly than others?

Anything to be gained by waiting for next Windows OS?

Thanks in advance.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 05:57 AM
    You explained your uses for the PC very well which really helps in offering advice. For your needs a very basic PC configuration is recommended which will save you money.

* Appropriate processor: Pentium 4 or AMD? Either will work for you, if you have a little money I'd skip the Celeron and go right to a Pentium D.

* Desirable specs:
    Processor speed - any of the current processors will do, see above re: Celeron
    Hard drive size - min. 80GB
    RAM - min. 512MB
    --> Don't forget to include a CDRW/DVD dual-layer burner

* Any of the major brands more reliable or user-friendly than others? I'm more familiar with Dell as I have purchased several from them. You won't have access to AMD processors from Dell though.

Anything to be gained by waiting for next Windows OS? None that I can see.

If you have any additional questions please feel free to post them.

Cheers,

NK.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 06:02 AM
    Sounds like my user needs are similar to yours. If you have a Microcenter near you, they have a nice line of inexpensive computers that I have 4 of: PowerSpec. You get a nice bang for the buck in the $550-$650 dollar range.

Example:
    http://www.powerspec.com/systems/sys...selection=7111

If those features work for you and you don't have a Microcenter nearby, use $650 as your target when shopping your local stores - and don't get hooked into paying for features you don't use.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2006, 06:07 AM
    HI,
    Good suggestions so far.
    I would like to suggest a Gateway computer.
    You could call them, tell them you want a desktop.
    As mentioned, get 512 RAM, with at least an 80 Gig hard drive, with DVD burner... most new ones come with that anyway.
    I have used a Gateway for years, and can highly recommend them.
    Best of luck, and good hunting.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 31, 2006, 07:14 AM
    Any PC currently on the market will meet the needs of about 90% of the users out there. Its only about 10% that need the extra power for gaming, CAD programs, math intensive stuff.

That being said, a rule of thumb I go by is to get the most machine that fits your budget.

Since Vista has now been postponed to next year, I wouldn't agree to wait. But what I WOULD do is make sure I got a machine that can run Vista to its full extent. That means getting one with a 64 bit processor. The only 64 bit processors in consumer PCs are the AMD Athlon 64s and the Intel 800 and 900 series. Those Intel chips are in high end (more expensive) PCs. So an Athlon 64 would be more cost effective. You can get Athlon 64 PCs in the $500-$800 range.

When I bought my last PC about 18 months ago I would only get an Athlon 64.

I do NOT recommend Dells or Gateways at this point. Both have had significant declines in their support in the last couple of years. Gateway especially has fallen on hard times as their market share has slipped greatly. I do recommend HPs. They are currently the most price competitive and feature filled machines on the market. They also are a JD POwers award winner for their service.
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 07:18 AM
    Another thought: Since there are so many people eager to get the latest and greatest, check at local shops for one's they've put together from computers that are of last years parts.

In my area we've got several of them where you can get a no namer "home built" for even $300-$500.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Mar 31, 2006, 08:16 AM
    I recommend Dell systems.
    They have excellent quality systems that will meet your needs. You can probably shoot for one of the budget systems and have it do everything you want.

Depending on the options, Dell systems can be more expensive than what you might find at the local places, and it does pay to shop around.

I've had a couple of experiences with Dell's technical support, and they are fine. Granted, I'm only one person (and an IT professional), but I hear very few negative comments about the Dell systems.

Mar 31, 2006, 08:47 AM
    I saw a recent survey from the BBB about complaints against Dell vs HP. In every category, Dell complaints were at least double those of HP and often 5-10x as many.

I deal with a lot of users between sites such as these and other activities and I have heard a lot of complaints against Dell service. I have owned and worked with Dell machines as well. My experience with Dell support has actually been OK, but the last time was over 18 months ago (my last PC was a Dell). The volume of complaints has increased within the last year.

This has been what has caused me to no longer recommend Dell systems, based on my personal experience, what people have told me directly and market information.
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 08:50 AM
    As you can see Rob, you have many options. As for me, there is only one brand that I would strongly recommend against, and that is Compaq. I've never had a Compaq that I didn't hate.

Mar 31, 2006, 08:56 AM
    I'll have to ask when you last had a Compaq. My current PC is a Compaq and I'm very happy with it. Before the merger with HP I would have agreed with you. Mainly because Compaqs used too much proprietary parts. But the Compaq brand has changed under HP.
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 09:00 AM
    I was not aware that they no longer used those proprietary parts. The one Compaq I still have running is about 2 years old.

My other complaint about them (but that may not be true any longer I suppose) is that they packed so much extra crap (software) with them that was difficult to remove; resource using stuff that I just didn't want.

Mar 31, 2006, 09:17 AM
    Well that may still be true. Most PCs these days come bundled with a lot of trialware; Norton, Office, Quicken and other stuff. However, they should be fairly easy to remove.

I did a reformat of my PC since it came with XP Home and I wanted to install my XP Pro on it as well as change the partitions.

Mar 31, 2006, 09:22 AM
    Absolutely - before the HP merge my experiences with Compaq were consistently poor - both hardware and support - wise.

Many of the new HP systems are quite good - I can recommend them too - Although Compaq/HP support (which is the hardware standard my company uses) has not been that great in my experience (compared to the Dell system and support I've used at home, LOL! ;) )

Mar 31, 2006, 02:04 PM
    As I said, HP recently won a JD Powers award for service. That was very recently. What it certainly appears to be is that HP is putting more effort into their service offerings and Dell is putting less.

One thing I really like about HP is that they are the only ones with a total solution, especially for the consumer. They make PCs, printers, scanners, burners, cameras, TVs, they have their own paper mills and chemical plants for the ink. So they can control and support every aspect.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 31, 2006, 02:15 PM
    Philly I am very interested to read your response re HP and Dell.
    From a UK stand point I have the complete opposite experience.
    HP/Compaq support is outstanding, but Dell's is just out there.
    This article should give you an insight into the quality of Dell UK ;)

Mar 31, 2006, 03:38 PM
    I've read stories like the one's above, but... I, and no one I personally know, has ever had any problems with Dell's service.

Based on my personal experience, I would rate Dell's service as excellent.

I've got friends that I have recommended Dell systems to. One or two of those people have had to call Dell Tech Support. No complaints.

I have contacts at other organizations that use Dell systems in an enterprise operation. They have no serious complaints about Dell, or at least none that they've ever shared with me.

I'm sure there are those that have had less than awesome results with Dell.
    I'm just not one of them.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 31, 2006, 03:44 PM
    Philly I hear you, this is just my experience from the UK, no where else.
    Our German divisions see them exactly the same as you, so it looks like I've just got a duff department over here ;)
    Rob Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2006, 05:50 AM
    Thanks for all your advice.

My current laptop is a Dell (c. 1999!). As a novice (now as then) their support was excellent until maybe two years ago. They would troubleshoot Windows for free even well after the warranty on the hardware had expired. Surprised me, at least. Now they no longer do that and I believe you have to pay in advance for such a service on a new purchase. I'm not sure if this is something I should expect--when the megastores sell other brands like Sony, HP, etc. they push a pay service called the Geek Squad.

Apr 1, 2006, 06:26 AM
    BestBuy (which owns Geek Squad) as well as other stores like CompUSA and Circuit City do push their own service plans. Their warranty plans are usually better then those offered by the manufacturers because the base plans are usually mail-in, while the store plans are carry-in.

As for support for software etc. you can use sites like this one. Also software vendors often have similar forums on their sites.

Jul 16, 2006, 04:19 PM
    I have to eat some crow... ;)

I've finally had a negative service experience with Dell. The video card went out on my system and I spent most of Sunday afternoon playing telephone tag and dealing with them to get a replacement. They did agree to replace it... it's just that it took an exorbitant amount of time to get to that point.

I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Welder Purchase [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a welder. What is the difference between and arc welder and gas or gasless welder. How are they rated? Some are capable of welding either 1/8" or 1/4". Is this based on amperage? 220v is better than 110v? Thanks, Glenn

Purchase share [ 1 Answers ]

I'm Working In A Private Limited Company, Now My Co Was Purchase $50,000 (own Company Share )from Other Company , What Transation Should I Make? Credit Bank And Debit Share Capital Fund Or Other?

View more questions Search