Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frostycambridge Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2008, 07:59 PM
    My son's ex wants her daughter to live with him (she calls him daddy)
    My son's ex-girlfriend wants her daughter to live with my son in Maryland while she goes to another state to stay with family. This could be a just for the school year arrangement or it could end up being permanent. I don't think either one of them has money for an attorney. The child has only known my son as her daddy, but I don't think he legally can keep her. The biological father (who lives in yet another state) does not want the child, but she might end up going there from a legal standpoint. This is going to be tremendously traumatic for this child and my son... not to mention me if we don't find some sane and legal way to handle this situation. What avenues do we have available to us to keep this child in a stable home in our state with the person she loves as daddy?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 08:08 PM
    You son has no legal status with this child, since he has not adopted the child when he was with her ( and many places would required married)

She would have to be willing to, and the bio father would have to be willing to allow your son to adopt the child with both bio parents giving up their custody. You will need an attorney for this if both would even agree.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Have you checked into him becoming her legal guardian? No one signs rights away (permanantly), no adoption or anything like that...

Good friends of our just set this up for their daughter so she could stay with good friends and complete her senior year of high school here. The husband was transferred out of state for work.

I'm sorry I don't have details. I don't know if the age of the child has bearing, or anything. Just a possible option I thought of.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinmommy
    Have you checked into him becoming her legal guardian? No one signs rights away (permanantly), no adoption or anything like that.......

Good friends of our just set this up for their daughter so she could stay with good friends and complete her senior year of high school here. The husband was transferred out of state for work.
    Sorry, rmommy, have to spread it around; good advice here: your state should have a proceeding for guardianship of the person and/or property. If the mother has custody, she and your son may be able to get this through the court with the assistance of a competent lawyer. It takes some time and money, but look at it for what it is: an investment in love for a child. Is mama willing to pay your son child support?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

BABY DADDY Fighting for Parental Rights and baby live part-time with his wife / kids [ 16 Answers ]

I have been in an extra-marital relationship for six months with a man who was "leaving" his wife. He told me repeatedly that they were living as roommates and he was moving out soon. Once this went on for some time, I decided I was worth more and broke up with him. I found out a few days later...

Son's girlfriend took his daughter to another state [ 3 Answers ]

My son's ex girlfiend took his daughter to another state where her mother lives. My son lives in Oregon and they now live in Iowa. Originally, his ex did not know how long they were going to be there and now they have been there 2 years. My son has not seen his daughter in all this time. Of course,...

My daughter wants to live with me [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter currently lives with her father in Ohio. I reside in Indiana. She is 12 1/2 and hates her stepmother. Her stepmother has treated her awful and her father now sides with the stepmom. She has went from an honor student to failling grades. Will a judge let her make the decision where...

My 20 year old daughter never calls me [ 6 Answers ]

After reading some of these questions I'm beginning to think that maybe I should count my blessings but here goes. My problem is my 20 year old daughter never calls me, she didn't contact me when she found out my mom died, she only lives an hour away but you would think it's half way across the...

View more questions Search