Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlgranger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2006, 10:14 PM
    Painting an unfinished basement celing
    Any advice on painting an unfinished basement ceiling. I did read the posts about spraying But what type of paint wshould be used to cover the wiring, ducts etc as well as the joists etc. Has anyone tried this apporach. It is popular in commercial spaces and I have seen it in a few basement reno mags.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 03:50 AM
    The only basements I've painted like you describe are old ones that are not used as living space - and in that case I sprayed a texture paint. If you actually use the basement as a rec room, TV room, play room, etc. I'd strongly suggest you consider a drop ceiling instead... assuming you're wanting to avoid drywall.

A drop ceiling is super easy to do and you get a much nicer, clean, "real ceiling" look over just painting.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

May 16, 2006, 05:39 AM
    In my basement, I sprayed with regular latex paint. My finish of choice is satin as it is scrubbable and has a light sheen to help reflect light.

Just make sure that all your mechanicals (ductwork, plumbing, wiring, etc.) are properly sealed.

Latex paint, is relatively benign and shouldn't (stress SHOULDN'T) interact with plumbing, wiring, etc.

Also, unless you take the time to wipe all the dust off everything, be prepared for a lot of flaking.

Good Luck, Dan
    rick16407 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 09:43 PM
    Depending on how high the ceiling is would dictate whether you want to paint the ceiling or put in a ceiling, I have a 6 foot low ceiling so painting would be my only option as there is no room for an installed ceiling other than putting up 12" by 12" fiberboard tiles, for me a latex textured paint worked well and didn't have any adverse flaking from exposed wire cables or ducts. One thing I can suggest is wrapping the ducts in insulation and priming them before painting them , found out paint sticks to wrapped insulation a lot better than it does to exposed metal ducts, even with primer, that's just my experience with my basement ceiling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting a basement ceiling [ 10 Answers ]

I'm planning on finishing my basement. I have preliminary ruled out drywall and installing a drop ceiling. I have decided on painting the ceiling all black much like they do in a lot of restaurants. My question is what is the best and easiest way to paint a basement ceiling? Thanks for your...

Installing shower in unfinished basement [ 1 Answers ]

I'm beginning a project to add a basement bathroom in our house. The house is only two years old and the basement is unfinished with concrete slab. The builder roughed in a drain for the toilet, sink and also the shower. My question is about the shower drain. Currently it is a 2" pvc pipe...

Building a 1/2 Bath in an Unfinished Basement [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all. This is my first post on this forum. :) I want to build a 1/2 bath and separate utility room in my unfinished basement. The utility room will be behind the bathroom (in front of, going by the orientation of the first picture below) and hide the heat pump fan coil (air handler),...

Painting an unfinished basement ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

We are finishing our basement and have decided to paint the unfinished basement ceiling. I'm looking to insilate between the floor for sound proofing. What are the best solutions to do this. Also what suggestion on shade of paint light or dark,textured or smooth,laytext or oil based. All help is...

Tub rough in question in unfinished basement [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 questions regarding my rough in for the tub in my unfinished basement. My first question regards the p-trap for the tub. This house was built in 2001. Is it common for the p-trap to be put in when they do the rough-in? I don't know whether to add the p-trap. A few pictures: 1st is a...

View more questions Search